“Wonderful!”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #51 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I just returned from a long weekend in Montreal at the St. James. This hotel is quite beautiful and located in the old section of Montreal. Quite convenient to the airport - about a 20 minute ride with no traffic. Upon arriving at the hotel when you enter the hotel you get the feel of yesteryear as this was once a bank - very grand. I must admit that they do pay attention here to the little things regarding their guests. When I arrived from the airport via cab the doorman proceeded to remove my bag from the trunk of the cab - in doing so he made note from my luggage tag of my name and was quick to address me by my name - a little thing - but it definitely shows you something about this hotel. When I was brought to the reception desk for my check-in it was handled efficiently - though I had to wait a few minutes to make sure that my room was ready (which was odd to me as it was 5pm). My room which was a deluxe king was lovely - large and tastefully decorated. My only qualm was that I was given a room that was right near the elevator (I had made my reservation through Leading Hotels of the World where I am a member - my profile and reservation state to be placed away from elevators - reception needs to pay attention to this - though I will be honest as it did not become a problem because it was extremely quiet and I never heard any noise in relation to the elevator). In detailing my room which was large, there was a large king bed with delicious linens (very European), a desk, a small sitting area with two chairs and a large closet. The bathroom again very large with soaking tub and spa shower stall (with the rain shower fixture) with wonderful products for use. My room was extremely clean - and one very odd thing is that there were no do not disturb signs for ones door - but that did not matter because housekeeping never interrupted you while you were in your room (this usually happens in most hotels at around 7pm as they will come around for turn down service) - but when you went out in the morning as well as in the evening for dinner - you came back to a room that had been attended to. The hotels dining room "XO" is breathtaking (I believe some refer to this as the Grand Salon). Very stately for all meals as well as a formal afternoon tea or for drinks (there is also the Library for drinks as well). Please note - if you plan on having breakfast a the hotel do not bother with their continental breakfast (which consists of juice, coffee, and pastries) as their breakfast menu is superb! From presentation to taste - I never had such a fantastic breakfast. I did not dine in the restaurant for dinner but can only imagine how wonderful it must be and next time will try it. The concierge staff is tops. Prior to my arrival I had phoned with some dinner reservation requests which were taken care of perfectly - even a reservation in the top restaurant in Montreal Toques'. The location of the hotel is really quite convenient and just a ten minute walk to the historic area which is filled with shops, galleries and restaurants with a very Eurpoean feel. In summarizing, the hotel is lovely, very European, perfectly situtated and well worth the expense.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank Cissy

Reviewed October 17, 2006

Amazing place. Amazing restaurant. Amazing service. Everything was perfect. Location is topnotch (Vieux Montreal). The buildout of this former Merchant Bank is at a level seldom reached by boutique hotels. The linens are beautiful - high threadcount sheets, down pillows, little Italian floormats and fresh slippers at your bedside at turndown. The staff is expert, confident, and friendly, to a person. The concierges sent us to Milos, the best restaurant we've visited in a long time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank misssnootysnoots
Reviewed September 16, 2006

This hotel totally lacks the service of a 4 or 5 star operation. The property is everything the other reviewers say it is but the service is so basic that the overall experience is spoiled. Want more details - feel free to e-mail me at fhartigan@sbcglobal.net

• Stayed: September 2006
11  Thank fhartigan
Reviewed August 16, 2006

I brought my then girlfriend to Montreal for the weekend to ask her to marry me. I wanted to treat her to an incredible hotel and I must say that the Le St. James fully met my expectations (by the way, she said yes).

We stayed in what was referred to as a "superior room", though not exactly sure where this ranks on their scale as it was my only choice unless I wanted to go even more expensive (I believe we payed about $250 a night after taxes).

The physicals of the hotel are absolutely amazing. Though I'm not at all a snob about where I stay (perfectly happy sleeping in a Motel 6 or Super 8), I do tend to notice everything. I'm particular about a room being clean, well maintained, having quality maid service, and I always tend to do a cursory inspection of the craftsmanship and quality of workmanship that went into a hotel. The Le St. James did not disappoint in any of these areas. The room was spotless, decor was beautiful and elegant - an excellent melding of classic luxury and technology.

As far as the staff goes, I would describe them as professional. I come from a working class family, but I also incorporate some extravagant living into my life. I'm fairly down to earth and I enjoy joking and casual conversation. The staff of the hotel tends to treat you more like royalty... which for my personality is not necessarily a positive, but I believe that the crowd they cater to probably expects this. Personally, I'd like to see them loosen up a bit, but it didn't take away from my stay (I'm sure you're envisioning "the Beverly Hill-billies go to Monreal").

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong staying at this hotel, especially if you're like me and tend to notice the little things. Your entire stay will be filled with unexpected niceties.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MoeMan
Reviewed August 8, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the St. james on August 2-5, 2006.
Upon arriving at the gorgeous facade of this hotel we were immediately greeted by a warm and professional doorman who quickly retrieved the luggage out of the cab. The doorman complete with shiny brass buttoned coat and white gloves escorted us through the lobby to the front desk. An equally sophisticated front desk staff awaited us there. The check in was quick and we were on our way, but not before being presented with the most beautiful hotel key I have ever seen! A heavy brass key chain with a luxurous red tassel. The luggage was taken up to the room by yet another professional staff member. Upon entering the room we found soft music playing, the perfectly made bed with crisp Frette sheets and the beautiful overhead halogen lighting glowing made the room look absolutely divine. IOur room a junior suite had a bedrrom area with an adjacent sitting area with a desk and chair. The bathroom, a large marble one had a separate shower and deep tub with dual sinks. Everything in tis hotel is of the utmost quality! The towels are thick and gorgeous. The sheets are Frette and the quality of the decorations and furnishings was over-the-top. Upon returning to the lobby area where we found the hotel's restaurant, the XO. The XO is exquisite! A breathtaking dinning room with very high cielings and chandliers. A mezzanine level sits over the restaurant where one can either sit or have coffe, drink etc. The first day, we had breakfast and the service was exceptional as well. The breakfast was beautifully and artfully presented. The portions were small but adequate. It is slightly expensive but a real nice treat of refinement to start your day off right! In the evening, the library adjacent to the entrance is an absolutely divine place to have an after dinner drink as you let your eyes be dazzled by this beautiful room. The hotel houses a rare collection of books and many newspapers are available every day, along with current magazines. It is just a treat to sit down here in the evening or on a rainy day a great place to read a book and cocoon yourself away! The hotel is also very centrally located in the heart of the old section. Its a 5 minute walk or less from all the sights. Notre Dame a gorgeous Basilica is just a couple of blocks away. When in Montreal DO NOT miss the dramatic light show which is presented nighly at 6:30 and 8:00. It is beautiful, dramatic and educational. It will present the history of the church and of Montreal and it is a MUST do! While we were there we did not have a bad meal. I would highly recommend the Pierre du Calvert Restaurant, housed in a 300 year old mansion. Food, Service and decor was outstanding! Gibby's a steak house housed in the Youville Stables is excellent as well. Another hit was Bonaparte which is open for both lunch and dinner. By the way, the Concierge at the hotel named "Phillipe" is wonderful (I wanted to take him home with us!) Very knowledgeable, refined and service oriented. He seemed to know what we needed without asking and always gave great recomendations. Along with Phillippe the entire staff was outstanding and we cannot rave about this property more. It was a wonderful 3 days in heaven. I would go back tomorrow! Do yourselves a favor and stay at the St. James when visiting Montreal. A tip: The website lists rack rates which are quite high and Expedia never seems to have them available. I called the hotel directly and spoke to the genral manager which gave us a very reasonable (for this 5 star plus hotel) price of $350.00 (canadian) per night. They upgraded us to a junior suite which although not huge was spaciuos and very comfortable. A great stay at a great hotel!! Congratulations to the owners and staff for "getting it right" on this one!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank fredisenb
Reviewed July 12, 2006

After a glitch with the room, and a conversation with the hotel manager, the situation was set right. The hotel is beautiful, with great art and excellent food. It could easily be stuffy but the staff is helpful and gracious. Exercise room is small but adequate. Junior suites are spacious, and if booking through expedia, are a good value.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank rkr727
A TripAdvisor Member
Newyork
Reviewed April 22, 2006

The nicest hotel in Montréal in the heart of the city, between old montreal and the finacial district. Remind's you of the great hotels in Paris, the streets the ambiance etc The rooms are just gorgeous and I found a gem a littel jewelery store in The International Trade Centre
called ALEXANDRE & FILS if your looking for a deal the got it!!! and the have just gorgeous stuff a must see. The hotel is also 5 minutes from the palais des congres where you have all kind of shows. A 15 minutes walk from the Bell Centre if you like hockey 10 minutes from st laurent street(go east) if you like to dine well and party and 10 minutes from the famous cresent street if you just want to party till dawn.

• Stayed: April 2006