“Top notch in every way!”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #52 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed June 8, 2009

My husband and I just came back from our long weekend to Montreal where we stayed at the Hotel Le St. James. What a great experience! From the moment we arrived we were greeted by our names. We were given a Junior Suite that was absolutely beautiful and appreciated being escorted to the room and having all the amenities explained. The only thing I could fault with the room is the small window, but it is a historical building and that is how it was made. Other than that, lots of room, huge comfy bed with Frette linens. The phone systems in the rooms are cool too because you can control the lighting, temperature and many other features Very nice not getting out of bed to turn off the lights. And every night they would do a turn down service where you would get a fancy chocolate and a note describing the weather for the next day. Molton Brown amenities were divine!

Breakfast came with the room and we were able to choose any thing we wanted from the XO restaurant inside. Hands down, best coffee and croissants anywhere! This was also the first time that my husband and I stayed somewhere and chose to eat room service lunch two days in a row because it was THAT good. The hotel also has a great location. I was amazed that we were only a few blocks (I think 2) from the Notre Dame Cathedral. And so close to Old Montreal. It made it so easy to walk around and see the sights.

The doormen were always so welcoming. And the concierge was extremely helpful. There was one in particular that not only helped us with suggestions for restaurants but then asked us the next day how that particular restaurant was. A really nice touch that shows they care about you having a good time in their city.

Went to the spa on Saturday afternoon and we had a great experience. The spa is something to be seen as far as it's decor. We both had 60 minute hot stone massages which were the best I have ever had. As for facial treatments, the "mask" is literally just that and not a traditional facial like I am used to. Next time I will take the 90 minute massage instead and skip the face treatment.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending this hotel to anyone and we am already planning a visit back this Fall!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 21, 2009

I usually do not write reviews, but I thought I must share the pleasant stay I had at the St. James. Me and wife just returned from a 4 day stay (along with our 7 month old). Each and every staff member went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The concierge service was excellent and they mapped out each day for us in terms of places to visit and restaurant recommendations. We casually asked if we could take Route 7 while driving back to New York and we had printed directions slid under the door of our room when we returned! The XO restaurant had an excellent French breakfast (croissants, eggs) and we were surprised to see that the staff remembered what me and wife ordered the 1st day, when we went down for breakfast the next day. We had dinner once at the XO, and the food was delicious. The appetizers were a very subtle and clever fusion of various ingedients. We live in New York city and have received such excellent service in any hotel in the U.S. The only downside is that the building entrance is not very baby friendly, but we found that to be the case with most buildings in Montreal including tourist atttractions. Would definitely stay at the St James if we visit Montreal again.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I agree with the other reviews. this hotel was a true 5 star. The service was the best ever, from the concierge to the front desk. The rooms were great. The beds, pillows, sheets, huge towels, free shoeshines and really awesome shower just made it even better. Their breakfast which was included in our rate was called a continental breakfast but was a full breakfast with choice of eggs, bacon and the most delicious pastries and croissants. I have stayed in other 5 star hotels and this is up there with the best. The location in Old Montreal was also good, near lots of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2009

Being a very discerning traveler with high expectations, Le St. James did not disappoint. Excelling in all areas, this hotel clearly raises the bar in hospitality excellence. From the moment my door was opened by their valet, to the time we exited their lobby, this hotel intuitively knew how to please us and went out of their way to accommodate our every need. Definitely a place to visit for those who expect the best!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 15, 2008

I go to Montreal every month and this Hotel is the BEST in Montreal - and can complete with any hotel in the world. The service is European - they know what they are doing. Over the top? Perhaps, but isn't that what you want. Who complains when 2 staff come out with umbrellas when you drive up. Service in the restaurant and bar is quiet and professional - but friendly. This hotel is for those that want, and perhaps remember or pine for, the great servie from the great hotels.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We like to be pampered and we were pampered... Dinner at XO restaurant was great the first night despite the initial wait in the lounge. the morning complimentary coffee was a nice touch on the way out. My wife loved the flowers in the public areas (quite unusual and very impressive) I was able to have a smaller version of the arrangement delivered by the concierge and surprised my wife.The location in old Montreal allowed us to walk around and shop for the kids. This is a five star hotel and not the cheapest in Montreal but a great value if you look for service and romance.We usually pay more in the US for a similar experience.

Reviewed October 29, 2008

This is a wonderful small elegant hotel (only about 60 rooms).   The location is great -- very close to Old Town and close to a metro entrance.     The staff is very friendly and gives great service, especially the concierge group.     Our room was quite large.    There are no views from any rooms, which makes the rooms a little dark and I never felt there was enough light.   The bathroom was very large, with a shower (no tub).     The one dining room (XO) is quite elegant and I'm sure quite expensive for dinner.    We did not eat dinner there, but did have breakfast one morning.    Other mornings we ate at a small coffee cafe down the street, because XO had been just too costly for breakfast.     There is no "hustle and bustle" feel at this hotel, just a very well-run, upscale small hotel in a great location.     The only reason I gave it 4 vs. 5 stars is that I personally DO prefer a little "hustle and bustle".