Hotel Le St-James
$250
$237
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbeautiful hotelbank buildingsuperior junior suiteold montrealroom serviceturn down serviceeach eveninghotel experiencebeautiful roomlarge bathroomthe ritzhigh ceilingsvisiting montrealxospaconciergedoorman
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend break at the Hotel St James to celebrate my birthday. I chose this hotel due to its rating on Trip Advisor and for its proximity to the historic area of the city. The hotel is aesthetically prettier and more historic than the other hotels. The other major chain hotels are all ugly, concrete towers thrown up in a less discerning era.
I was prepared to pay a little more for this as I like to treat myself from time to time. The ambience in the hotel was classic and made me feel special. I loved the library and enjoyed sitting by the fire after being outside in the chilly November weather.
Our room was rather disappointing, although I suppose it was one of the cheaper rooms. It was dark, small and cold, we fiddled with the thermostat but it didnt change the heat. Turns out the room temperatures are managed by a computer in the office and it showed the room as being within their acceptable level, so we were lumbered. The windows of the hotel were dirty and even opening the blinds didn't help light the room.
The bed was small and low and the decor was not to my taste, I mean, leopard print carpet .... really ?
Luckily the bathroom, in comparison was luxurious, with lovely heated marble floors. although only one small vanity basin and no bath. The shower was nice and large but with a cheap shower curtain which allowed water to escape onto the marble floor if you didn't arrange the shower. Nice Molton Brown products and lots of lovely towels.
For any woman of a certain age a little tip here, after having had my hair cut and styled for the trip I stepped into the shower and pulled the wrong shower dial. It was the rain shower instead of the body shower and I was drenched from far above and hair ruined !!! Totally my fault .... but should have had a video camera there to record my reaction !!
Room service was very expensive, so we went out for breakfast and I missed having my tea to start the day. Nice hotel staff and the room was well looked after by the chambermaids. The bar staff were a little more haughty and we were left sitting for a little too long for our night cap.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WIFEANDMUMOF3
LeStJames, Director of Sales at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Ms. Birthday Girl,

We were honoured that you chose the St-James to celebrate your Birthday. We are pleased that you appreciated the historical heritage of our building and that the aesthetical part of the hotel was to your liking. The exterior windows are cleaned religiously twice a month. We are in the center of Montreal where dust does accumulate at a quick pace. The interior of our windows are cleaned daily.
There are indeed a few rooms that have showers only. We do our best to provide bathtubs when available.
We hope we will have another opportunity to host you at Hotel Le St-James. Please feel free to contact me personnally and we will do our very best to make your next stay a memorable one.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 10, 2012

A truly sensuous pleasure. Outstanding friendly and well-groomed staff. Courteous. Loved the cool phone in room where you can control the lights Small gym. Wonderful massage treatments. Deep tissue massage was just that. Beautiful appointed rooms. Shower only in room but what a delight. XO restaurant is romantic and great wine selections. Love the warmth of this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room only had a shower
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
LeStJames, Director of Sales at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Pedro and Dixie,

On behalf of the entire team of Hotel Le St-James, thank you for your kind words! The pleasure was mutual. We certainly hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very disappointing! The room was very small and dark. Light bulbs were out making it even darker. Reading was impossible. The thermostat was broken and our stay was unbearably HOT! Management was not responsive. We were not offered assistance with our luggage by the staff as we struggled with the steep, entrance steps. The Concierge was disinterested and gave us misinformation on more than one occasion.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank placitan

Dear guest,

We were saddened by your comments and they were well noted. Since, we have improved the lighting and intensified the voltage in the few rooms that were a bit darker.

We hope you will stay with us on another occasion and we will make sure your room is bright and airy.

With kind regards,

Elizabeth Glimenaki,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was only here for a night but it was very good during that one evening. The whole hotel was nice and clean. Service was very friendly and helpful. I always like to use my computer and use the internet when I travel and wanted to make sure I could get wi fi set up. The lady at the front desk was very hepful in asisting me in these matters.I would recommend to a friend and come back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TrojanSoccer14
LeStJames, Director of Sales at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear TrojanSoccer14,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Le St-James as your home away from home during your trip to Montreal!

We are very proud of our Housekeeping department. It warms our hearts you noticed their hard work! Please rest assured we have shared your kind compliments with them.

Thank you for your kind words about our front desk agent, we made sure to share your review with them as well.

We would be delighted to host you on your next business trip. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any reservation needs.

With sincere regards,

Vice President Sales and Marketing
(514) 841-3111

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The good:
* Beautiful hotel in a lovely historic building in the old part of Montreal.
* Rooms are large and beautifully appointed.
* Bathrooms are large, with Molton Brown products, and shower only.
* The bar and restaurant are in a beautiful hall of the former bank.

The bad:
* Gym is too small. It is not possible to complete a full workout.
* Wifi is offered as a paid service. I think this is like charging for water.
* We were charged for water we used in the room, even though we were meant to be brought complimentary water as part of turndown service.
* Expensive

Overall:
This is a lovely hotel. Unfortunately I think there is something lacking. It has style but not so much substance. The rooms are nicely appointed, but perhaps a little bit old-fashioned. I prefer a contemporary feel to my hotels. I have also stayed at Le Westin just down the road and I think I'd probably stay there rather than return to the St James, especially given the price difference.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple