“Very Disappointing!”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #40 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very disappointing! The room was very small and dark. Light bulbs were out making it even darker. Reading was impossible. The thermostat was broken and our stay was unbearably HOT! Management was not responsive. We were not offered assistance with our luggage by the staff as we struggled with the steep, entrance steps. The Concierge was disinterested and gave us misinformation on more than one occasion.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank placitan
LeStJames, Director of Sales at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear guest,

We were saddened by your comments and they were well noted. Since, we have improved the lighting and intensified the voltage in the few rooms that were a bit darker.

We hope you will stay with us on another occasion and we will make sure your room is bright and airy.

With kind regards,

Elizabeth Glimenaki,
VP Sales and Marketing

There are newer reviews for Hotel Le St-James

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was only here for a night but it was very good during that one evening. The whole hotel was nice and clean. Service was very friendly and helpful. I always like to use my computer and use the internet when I travel and wanted to make sure I could get wi fi set up. The lady at the front desk was very hepful in asisting me in these matters.I would recommend to a friend and come back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TrojanSoccer14
LeStJames, Director of Sales at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear TrojanSoccer14,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Le St-James as your home away from home during your trip to Montreal!

We are very proud of our Housekeeping department. It warms our hearts you noticed their hard work! Please rest assured we have shared your kind compliments with them.

Thank you for your kind words about our front desk agent, we made sure to share your review with them as well.

We would be delighted to host you on your next business trip. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any reservation needs.

With sincere regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2012

The good:
* Beautiful hotel in a lovely historic building in the old part of Montreal.
* Rooms are large and beautifully appointed.
* Bathrooms are large, with Molton Brown products, and shower only.
* The bar and restaurant are in a beautiful hall of the former bank.

The bad:
* Gym is too small. It is not possible to complete a full workout.
* Wifi is offered as a paid service. I think this is like charging for water.
* We were charged for water we used in the room, even though we were meant to be brought complimentary water as part of turndown service.
* Expensive

Overall:
This is a lovely hotel. Unfortunately I think there is something lacking. It has style but not so much substance. The rooms are nicely appointed, but perhaps a little bit old-fashioned. I prefer a contemporary feel to my hotels. I have also stayed at Le Westin just down the road and I think I'd probably stay there rather than return to the St James, especially given the price difference.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband brought me here for a week-end. The hotel is no doubt beautiful, the service was excellent and the location was perfect. It's quite expensive but not pretentious. This hotel is for the discerning taste. It's Baroque in style which can lead someone believing it to be dark and gloomy. The building is historic and not modern in anyway. The coffee was the best I ever tasted. Class at it's best.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Turnbsy,

Thank you for your kind review. We are proud of the historic roots and are happy to share it with our guests!

We hope to get another opportunity to host you soon!

With warm regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Spent three nights at this prizy hotel. The room was large, clean and quiet. It faced a small street but I could hardly see it due to the dirty windows. The room was in dark colors so it was over all a little bit gloomy place despite the high quality of everything. The staff was friendly and at times cordial; but was it worth the prize? I would say no. I stayed at other high-end places with good service and high quality but with a less gloomy atmosphere. Good, but not worth the prize.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Swedish_scientist

Dear Guest,

We were pleased that you thought our rooms were large, clean and quiet. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our Hotel and we have an outstanding Housekeeping department!

With kind regards,

VP Sales and Marketing

Loved the hotel Great value
Daniel Bruno a bell man was so so helpful!
He needs a raise
I had a large room and it was very clean. The hotel reminded me of days gone past at the Mount Royal LHotel is in a great location close to old Montreal

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We've been twice to the St-James for our 5th and 11th anniverssaries and we are just impressed by the luxury surrounding the beautiful rooms, the amenities (e.g. the library and the restaurant look amazing), the cool phone in the room (with it you can control the room lights), and the nice washroom to name a few.

Our first time around we got a room that didn't have the earth-tone colors I was expecting (mostly white and gray) but nevertheless was a great stay. So the second time I asked specifically to get an earth-tone color room (a Superior Junior Suite) and I was not disappointed. Gorgeous room!

The restaurant serves delicious food, especially at supper time. I really commend the chef as it's the tastiest food I've eaten in Montreal!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Irving A

Dear Irving A,

On behalf of us all, thank you for your kind comments. It is an honor to host you and your husband on such a special occasion! We have shared your generous compliments to our entire team.

We are looking forward to welcome you again soon!

Sincerely yours,