All reviewsbeautiful hotelbank buildingsuperior junior suiteold montrealroom serviceturn down serviceeach eveninghotel experienceconcierge deskbeautiful roomlarge bathroomthe ritzhigh ceilingsvisiting montrealxospadoorman
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I absolutely loved our stay at this hotel. The hotel is gorgeous in every way, with some of the loveliest, most comfortable and luxurious rooms I have ever stayed in. The staff is very polite, friendly and helpful, with each person offering recommendations and suggestions to make your stay in Montreal more enjoyable. The concierge went the distance to find us hard to get concert tickets for that night, and they were reasonably priced for fantastic seats. The bathroom in our room was spacious and beautiful, with a gorgeous claw foot tub that two people can comfortably soak in. We loved the tub so much that we purchased a similar one when we remodeled our own bathroom. The restaurant is top-notch. The ambiance is classy and hip, and certainly not stuff, and the food is delicious. For lunch, you can opt for a multi-course meal (uncommon for lunch!). It is a really enjoyable experience. My husband had planned this trip for my birthday, and the hotel was so accommodating to his requests - specific flowers and a bottle of our favorite champagne waiting in the room - and the entire staff knew it was my birthday and kept giving me well wishes. Finally, if you are a spa enthusiast, the spa at this hotel is extremely unique and luxurious. It is very private (you feel like it is your own personal spa and staff) with the orginal rock and brick from the building incorporated into the new, luxurious facilities. I opted for a wrap and a massage, and both were among the best I have ever had. I highly recommmend this hotel for a romantic weekend getaway.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dena E
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Went to Montreal for a weekend and wanted to stay in Old Montreal. The hotel was perfectly situated within walking distance from restaurants, shops and the old town. The service was attentive and prompt. We ordered room service for breakfast and the food arrived a few minutes early. They also have a great restaurant bar for cocktails. The rooms are very comfortable with a nifty little touch pad that controls the lights within arms length without making too much of an effort.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RafeNewYork
Reviewed March 29, 2011

The Le St-James is a beautiful and luxurious hotel. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed with mammoth king sized beds and large flat screen TVs. All in all very comfortable. Unfortunately, there are no connecting rooms. This was a minor inconvenience when traveling with family. Beautiful lobby and dining room. Service was top-notch.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank GRJESQ
Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I spent the weekend in Montreal, and were disappointed in the level of amenities provided in this five-star hotel. We anticipated that there would be a comfortable lounge with multiple seating areas and service for drinks or light appetizers, and instead there was a shabby "library" adjacent to the drafty main entrance, which served as a waiting room for guests checking in. Not a place you want to sit and have a drink. There is not really a lounge in this hotel at all. The fitness center was promoted as being "state of the art" although there was one treadmill, one weight machine, and a couple of other pieces of equipment in a basement room. The "spa" is one treatment room with stone walls, and there are zero amenities available to hotel guests. The steam room is really just a steam shower, and you cannot access this unless you have purchased a treatment in that room. There is not even a bathroom at the spa level, nor is anyone sitting at the desk unless they are waiting for an appointment. My wife found this basement area to be creepy, and I found it to be nowhere near a five-star level. The breakfast included with our booking turned out to be a continental breakfast only, which was adequate for us, but perhaps not for someone else - lesser value than I expected. I was particularly insulted, however, by the fact that I was charged $6.00 for a cup of regular coffee in a take-out cup. I came to the lobby early in the morning looking to bring coffee upstairs while I did some work, and was astounded at the nerve of the hotel charging this much for coffee - they need to get a clue from the Four Seasons about service - free coffee in the morning is five-star - this was not. This charge for the coffee was consistent with the $20 per day WiFi charge we were compelled to pay - let's get real about service - free internet is service-oriented, charging for it, let alone $20 per day for it, is not. Other than these complaints, the room was very nice and comfortable, and the hotel location was great. What nearly made up for the hotel's shortcomings was the excellent concierge staff, particularly Simon, who were so accommodating and knowledgeable about what we New Yorkers would want to do and see. They sent us for an incredible meal at Barroco, which really made our trip, and were so informative and responsive. Overall, we will never stay at this hotel again and I do not consider it to be a five-star hotel, although the staff was well-trained and accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank peterbnewyork
LeStJames, Hotel Management at Hotel Le St-James, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

Dear peterbnewyork,

Thank you for expressing your appreciation for your room, for the Hotel’s location and for our accommodating staff. Le St-James truly prides itself on the quality of its staff and the level of service provided.

The entire team was nonetheless saddened to read the above review of your hotel experience.

Upon your arrival, we were happy to offer an early check-in at 1:30 PM since the room was ready before standard 4PM check-in time. The Front Desk directed you towards the Library for a moment in order for a receptionist to be available to escort you to the room, one of our Leading Hotel standards. The Library is usually an ideal place to sit by the fireplace on a cold day. The weather in Montréal was bitterly cold over the weekend and we do recognize that the lobby was quite drafty due to the combined malfunction of one of our front doors and exceptionally high traffic in the lobby. Indeed, the Hotel was sold out on that same weekend! We are very sorry for this inconvenience. We have rectified the situation, and the door has been repaired since.

We regret that our staff did not instead direct you to our XO Lounge, which has many intimate alcoves and lounge seating for 30 people. The Lounge underwent a major renovation in 2009, pictures of which do appear on Expedia.

As stated on the Expedia website, the Hotel policy is indeed to charge for Internet access in all guest rooms. We do however provide complimentary wired access on our iMac in the Library, and complimentary wireless access in all public areas.

It was a pleasure to host you and your wife in Montréal and we are thankful that you shared your concerns with us after your stay. It is through guest feedback that we improve the St-James experience. We would love that you reconsider staying with us. If so please feel free to contact me directly at elizabeth@hotellestjames.com.

Best Regards,
Elizabeth

Reviewed January 25, 2011

We had booked the Sheraton, but following the cool reception, Stalinist feel and lack of help on arrival - we checked out and looked for an alternative.

The St James hotel is ideal. Staff throughout are incredibly welcoming and helpful. Food is fresh and whilst it won't challenge 'destination' restaurants, meals were of a uniform high standard with an enormous variety of fresh salads, vegetables, cold meats, seafood and cooked meats.

Will certainly return.