“Can't give 5 stars, but great hotel...not inviting enough”
Review of Hotel Le St-James

Hotel Le St-James
Ranked #39 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
“Can't give 5 stars, but great hotel...not inviting enough”
Reviewed October 28, 2007

Booked a "deluxe" room on the hotel website. Reservation went fine, though I had written a note as part of the reservation for them to call me about renting one of their cars, never got the call.

Arrived on a rainy day to no doorman at about 2:30pm. Went in and concierge quickly took control, with an umbrella, came out, and doorman appeared. Check in was quick and smooth. Escorted to our room which was a nice touch.

Room was good, I have never stayed in their standard rooms, it was a corner, probably same as standard but bigger. Room is great, but not what I expected based on pictures I had seen. A little less luxurious, unfortunately. Though the bed was comfy, bathroom is beautiful with both bath and shower, slippers, bathrobe, magazines, stereo playing, not a great TV. Despite different that expected, great room. The phone controls all lights and TV. That was super cool.

We did notice the lack of pay per view and with a quick call had a DVD player installed and a selection of movies. Not the newest releases but great service.

We decided to go down for afternoon tea at the XO resto (the hotels resto). We got there and they said they were full, couldn't serve us, despite 12 people and 4 of the tables taken. They said there were many reservations of people coming in the next 30 minutes. The front desk saw us turn back and stepped in and made sure we got a table. Pretty stupid. We enjoyed the tea, pricey but excellent service and great food. Service was too cold for us. The "reserved" people never did arrive, by the way.

We watched our movie and went out for dinner later. They didn't help us as we are from Montreal andknew where we wanted to go.

We got back and turndown was excellent, chocolates and bottles of water, room cleaned.

Had a nice light breakfast from room service in the morning. Called for a massage but no room.

All in all we had a great time, great hotel, but certainly high class. This adds on some fronts but for us was uninviting in other ways, so I don't think I'd run back, especially at the price. You can get a great suite in Montreal for $200 or 300, and the room would probably be better.

• Liked — Great room, well intended service, classy hotel
  • Disliked — Uninviting
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank raveman2001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Toronto, ON,
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Disappointing stay... Some positives to the hotel - the washrooms are great, good toiletries, sixty rooms, friendly employees, good location, ornate fixtures... Now the problems: Room service was poor. Food was bad - St. James club had almost no meat in it (if you want to name a sandwhich after your hotel, it better be good) they forgot the french fries with my sandwich, took twenty-five minutes to get them sent up. There is a flat-screen tv in the bedroom, but it's tiny - smaller than my computer monitor - maybe 12 inches... tv in the sitting room was old. No pay-per-view movies. Service was inattentive at breakfast. Literally the only person in the restaurant, and I couldn't find a server for about ten minutes to get the bill. Doorman didn't know which direction St. Catherine St. was. I wanted to like this place - clearly most think it's the best in Montreal - but it just wasn't up to my standards. Two and a half stars. My complaints may sound small - I realize that - but for what I paid, and what I'm used to - this hotel doesn't cut it.

• Liked — washrooms
  • Disliked — room-service, lack of flat-screen, breakfast
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Five-star-guy
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 28, 2007

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the St. James. To say that this hotel was amazing is an understatement. I am very well traveled and this is absolutely the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It is over the top superior in comfort, service and has the "WOW" factor that has been missing in other 5 star hotels I have stayed at. The room was very large and had a lovely sitting room with plasma TV. The bed was extremely comfortable. The shower was fabulous, 3 attendants came in each evening for the turndown service and brought anything we needed and tidyed up the room. The overall architecture was fabulous. The location was absolutely perfect for walking to the old part of Montreal and to Place Jacque Cartier. No expense was spared at this hotel. I will not soon forget this hotel!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank HAPPYBIRDJZ
Montreal,Quebec
Reviewed August 23, 2007

The hotel is charming, cozy and absolutely spotless. The decor is wonderful and the staff polite and welcoming. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in Europe and the St. James is comfortably in their league. I can honestly say it is one of the few times I have had no complaints with a hotel...quite rare for me!

• Liked — cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — could not stay longer
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mecas36
Westport, CT
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We’ve stayed at some of the best hotels in Europe – the Hotel Le St James is clearly in their league.

The hotel is small and sophisticated. The lobby has the air of a gentleman’s club.

The two suites we had for three nights were magnificent – large, comfortable, and decorated in an old world charm. The service was impeccable.

The old city location is convenient to both the old city and downtown, which is a 10-5 minute walk.

This is the perfect hotel for a couple’s weekend getaway to Montreal.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TheAvster
Miami
Reviewed July 9, 2007

I am very critical of hotels, and this one, surprised me. I have nothing but glowing things to say about this hotel. It was first class all the way. The location was superb, the concierge was fantastic, the room exceeded expectations. Everything was impressive. Stay here, it's expensive, but worth it in the end. You will have great memories!

PS: Don't miss Gibby's for dinner!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — I liked everything - nothing not to like!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Miamiheat1
NYC Metro Area
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Wow. A truly wonderful hotel in Old Montreal. Worth every penny; the service and staff alone make this a winner. Add in fabulous rooms, especially the suites and this is not just a great find in Old Montreal, but a great place period.

Even traveling with an infant, our stay was easy and enjoyable. The staff (all of them from the housekeepers to the concierge to the general manager) went out of their way to make our stay perfect. The concierge were amazing. They arranged for great, kid friendly dining options that did not involve placemats with crayons and hot dogs. Speaking of which, Eggspectations is a great breakfast option and just steps away from the hotel.

If you are in Montreal, might pass by Montreal or are just thinking about Montreal run don't walk to the St. James.

• Liked — Service / Staff, Beautiful Room
  • Disliked — Stairs at the Entrance Only Way to Get In the Hotel - Not Good for Strollers or Wheelchairs
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family