“Ummmm... a fly in my pasta?”
Review of Basi

Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie
Neighborhood: Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I really am sorry to write this review.

I bought a really good coupon, I believe for $19, and two people can dine at Basi. I thought it was a really good deal considering the ambiance inside was really nice and the staff was warm and welcoming.
I ordered some pasta that came with an appetizer and my fiancé ordered some pizza that came with a cold soup. Yes, cold soup- it was meant to be cold. They call it "cold soup." I thought the idea was fun, but it was badly executed as per my fiancé, and I didn't even bother tasting because of the expression that he had on his face. He said that his appetite was ruined.
I stayed positive and enjoyed their pizza bread that they give with the meal. I thought that was awesome and original. It was night and I looked at the view outside, it was the Jean Talon market. I somewhat wondered how busy it would have looked during the day.
So then I receive my pasta, there was nothing spectacular. I'm not a good cook, and figured, this is something that I could easily toss at home. There's nothing gourmet, or special about the way it's made. It was very oily but I didn't complain about that.

About half way through my plate, just as I was about to tell my fiancé that this was not as bad as we think, considering the price we had paid for it, I see this black with shiny bluish thing sparkling on my plate. I saw wings and I thought I was gonna PUKE!!!!!!!!
IT WAS DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry but it was huuuuge!!!
The worst is when I told the manager and she did not know what to say or do, she started laughing hysterically!!! She offered to make me a new one to go, all the while still laughing. It was not funny at all!!!! I just ate a plate with a fly swimming in oil and she was laughing at it and offering me another one to go??!??!? At least keep your composure and be professional and apologize and look sorry! It was a nasty experience and her laughing literally made it worse.

So she finally did apologize, as we stared at her while she was laughing because we were surely not laughing with her. We took her offer of a free dessert and I think she also offered some cappuccino’s to go along with it, but even then, I was not able to get over the horrific experience.

But once again, this is just my own personal experience, I will never go back there myself and neither will my fiancé, because of the food and the way the manager acted in such a moment. I mean, to find hair on your plate is one thing, but a FLY???

Yes, I understand, that it was located right in front of the market but is that an excuse to have a fly on your pasta while dining in an upscale ambiance?

I get creeps just thinking about it.

1  Thank khitzz007
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I went to eat there with one of the daughters of a friend. We both were tired at the end of a busy week. Basi restaurant was the place we needed. The food was original and well presented. I had the opportunity to taste a piece of veal which wasn't the omnipresent parmigiana.The young lady who served us was courteous and very efficient. The only thing we didn't appreciate was to be hurried to leave at the end of our second cup of coffee because some people had been waiting for 15 minutes. Well, we hadn't been lingering for too long and we didn't appreciate to be told to leave as soon as possible.