“Night at the Ice Hotel --Standard room”
Review of Village des Neiges

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montreal
Village des Neiges
Ranked #96 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
“Night at the Ice Hotel --Standard room”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Project in progress, better luck next year. but perhaps better than last year. Enjoyed the experience...had some short-comings...slushy path...?? I am sure they could have hired a little tractor to go by and take out all the slush, they certainly were capable of affording to hire a tractor to circle around the hotel at 8 am to wake everyone up. BY the way thats a little annoying...they are trying to overprofit....day visitors from 1130am-930pm?? something like that...sooo the hotel is only available to paying overnight customers from 10 pm to 9 am...its really silly....
Good Points
Staff = friendly. Spa = clean. Organized, you reserve a place to ensure you get to try it out. Do this..Be brave, its worth it. The spa temp is 103-104. very nice.
Mummy sleeping bag, could have been larger?? but maybe that would make it less warm?? it smelt clean. Mine was easy to handle but the animator showing us how to use it had a hard time and said this happens all the time.
Bad points
Dangerous paths, icy, or slushy, to the Spa, between the reception and the village ( not catered to the very young or the very old, or those with disability.

Based on last years reviews (2012), I would have to say, alot of improvements have been made, or I came on a good day. The staff were very friendly, smiling, nice. The theme this year was New York. I prefered last years Montreal theme, althought the art was very nice and interesting use of lighting and colour shape form and structure.

PSS this review was writen by a winner of a contest, and not a paying customer..had i paid..maybe have had a different opinion...
PSSSS i did not try the restaurant...however the hot chocolate tasted like water....and luke warm...
BREAKFEAST---was good! from the intercontinental 5 star hotel. ;)

Room Tip: Standard rooms are as they sound,....standard...no themes...The curtain did not fully cover our entr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I took my boys there and they loved it.

Especially the restaurant.

Great way to bring excitement to the kids

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Comar97
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We, like many others, thought to go to the Snow Village before it closes at the end of March. The ice hotel, was closed, due to weather conditions, but they charged people to come in regardless. The area was either slushy in places, or dense, packed and slippery/wet ice. They did not spread gravel around or sand, and people (including me) slipped and fell. Going into the igloos was OK, and some of the ice sculptures looked like they would have been beautiful a month ago.

Therefore, I think that the snow village is a great concept, but if the weather conditions have deteriorated the village to the point that it's not worthwhile to remain open, and frankly, is dangerous for some people, then the place should close! And we can come back next year. Unused tickets - show some good will and give a credit for next year.

If they are going to remain open, at least spread ++gravel around to make it safe for people to walk.

And discount the rate, please if the attraction is to remain open under these conditions

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pw0867
Laval, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2012

i was waiting to see a spectacular snow village especially when you saw the promotions & the Photoshop pictures in the medias, i thought i am gonna see something special, but unfortunately it was less than normal, a labyrinth & few snow games at st rose in white were better. what we saw there it could be better described as a taupe or rat work, i can do better in my back yard.

In addition to the disappointing place, it come the disappointing organisation, from your arrival the ticketing area is a very windy area & there is nothing to protect you there especially if you have kids & you should keep them waiting with you in order to get a silly stamp on their hand, you can't see this stamp coz everybody is using gloves on this freezing place. also later during our visit we barely can find someone to ask a question or get information and it was Sunday, all the staff that i saw was 1 at the reception giving some information (this one was good) than 2 staff at the bar and they have no answers for any question & one at the restaurant entrance to stop people from getting there if they have no reservation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank wissamwehbe
Mississauga, Ontario
Reviewed February 22, 2012

First off I don't normally ever write reviews but this experience was bad enough for me to warn you. I also don't like to read bad reviews because I like to experience it myself but mind you, even the 'positive' people I met on this group were even very disatissfied and thought this place could do better with the amount of money just night stay costed.

If you want to try something like this, I recommend going to Quebec City's Ice Hotel where they are more experienced. Just 3 hrs drive north east of Montreal

1. UNSAFE Icy walkways everywhere
- My boyfriend fell once and actually saw a security/patrol guard see him fall and ignored it. I know, isn't that terrible?
- I had heard so many complaints of people slipping and could believe it because I was wearing my snow hiking boots and still slipped myself multiple times.
- The adults that were 45+ seriously had trouble walking through

2. The directions were not clear on where you should go etc.
- We had to walk through go back and forth where to check in, carrying so much luggage.
- Then when we found a ticket booth there was a lady willing to have us hold our stuff while we run to an aquatics building to check in but then was literally shooed out by another.
- I remember the rudeness in tone where one was raising their voice at another for allowing patrons to stay in the spa hut and there was too much people inside so she told us all in english to get out and the excuse she used was she didn't want people leaving their stuff unattended in the hut. ........ I just felt like she just didn't want us in their staff space.

3. There is only ONE indoor washroom for ladies and ONE for gents that is within a few minutes of walking. at the 'spa' hut/ticket booth. (and a really ghetto curtain to use for you to change in the corner)
That means you're sharing those washrooms with practically everyone staying at the snow village because the other indoor ones were about a 5-10min walk through REALLY thick icy pathways.

4. Very unstaffed, disorganized, rude, unhappy people.
- The staff seemed like very uninformed, bad volunteers.
- The lady at the aquatics building to check you in didn't seem happy at all to greet you, not to mention the ticket booth lady that tries to shoo you out LOL
- The girl that tries to explain how you stay spent most of her time speaking in french and left the english details very brief on what to do and expect AFTER you had to listen to 25min of all french
- ********there is only ONE security guard and worse yet he was extremely RUDE!******
I saw tissue placed in a box by the bar and thought they were free, when I reached to see if they even had a price tag on them (they didn't) he screamed out EY EY EY! and made me feel like a terrible theif stealing tissue paper.
Seriously you would think the price you're paying for one night that tissue paper would be free!! He tells me that they aren't and that I need to put the tissue back right away.
There was no staff around in the whole premise (seriously, at 10am in the morning) so I couldn't even ask if I could use tissue paper.
- A total of probably only 10 staff that was working there in the evening and practically NO staff is to be seen anywhere in sight after 11pm

5. Lacking facilities, seriously
- Within a few minutes: only ONE tiny building with a total of 2 washrooms
- aquatics building about 5-10min walk away, +5min trying your way through thick extremely icy roads.

6. Facilities are closed at certain times they didn't tell you anything about
- When we proceeded to shower at 11pm the showers are all closed and no one in sight to tell you anything. I had to run around asking patrons staying the night where the showers were and 95% of them didn't know anything.

Overall a huge jip for staying there the night.

If you want to see this place, definitely worth just taking some pictures by paying a park admissions fee at night or in the morning only.

2 Thank Liviana1337
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Wow what a rip off!
As mention by fellow trip advisor please save your money and do not go sleep there...
To let you know. I have never wrote a common on trip advisor but since the experience was so bad it was a crime to not let people know!

Here's some of the problems:

Cheap breakfast
Over charging people
Poor customer service
Unprofessionnal staff
No attraction
Carrying their sleeping bag to my own room? (I wonder why do i pay them for)
Dark slippery path.
Claustrophobic Sleeping bag
Anorexic Sleeping bag.
Akward sleeping time and wake up time.

I'm mad at the city for lending theses jokers our tax money.
This place is obviously heading for disaster.
No wonder they are dilluting their brand by doing promo with daily deals site.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Davidn04
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Sleeping in an ice hotel was on our bucket list, so when the opportunity came up we jumped on it.
In short, no service, no glamour, no pampering, terrible food for $300 for a family of 4, very basic sleeping accomondations, terrible cold breakfast, long walk each time to get back and forth from main office/parking, etc etc. Nice idea, horrible execution. These guys need to get their act together or they will go bankrupt. All in it cost almost a thousand( $1000) for a miserable experience. At that price per night we expect to be catered to, not left to our own devices and to carry our own sleeping bags on icy trials in darkness.

4 Thank Fil S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreal
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 10 in Brossard
Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
Hotel Viger
Hotel Viger
#115 of 164 in Montreal
Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Le Roberval
Le Roberval
#76 of 164 in Montreal

Been to Village des Neiges? Share your experiences!