“Very Tasty Mains, Avoid Desserts”
Review of Hostaria

Hostaria
Reserve with OpenTable
Hostaria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #644 of 5,711 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Rosemont-La Petite-Patrie
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Very Tasty Mains, Avoid Desserts”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Our party of three tried two appetizers and 3 mains, all delicious and plentiful, except for the gnocchi, which was tasty but looked like a half order, we had to contribute some of our cornish game hen and swordfish to fill her plate! The two desserts were minimal for the price and the "ice cream filled profiteroles" poor, there was maybe half a teaspoon of ice cream in each one (3) and the chocolate sauce was chalky and not sweet enough. We ordered a bottle of wine and espresso, in total the price was $250 with tip, too pricey. The service was friendly but could have been better for the price as we had to repeat several requests: more bread, more water and where's our coffee? Once was enough for this restaurant, the food was good, but too pricey for the amounts and service.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank xena888

Montreal
“Excellent food and service. We had a great time at Hostaria”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Hostaria surpassed all of our expectations for an Italian restaurant. The food quality and choices were excellent and the service and wine recommendations could not have been better. We were greeted in Italian and the menu was orgranized in the typical Italian way of antipasti, primi, segundi, etc. and there were daily specials available.We went for a family birthday dinner and were 6 people. We sat at the round table at the front of the restaurant and were able to share food and have lively conversation easily.
I would definitely go back as a couple or in a group. There was plenty of seating at the bar which also looked great. They also had valet service for parking which is nice to know but thankfully we all got lucky and found parking nearby.
Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Could not eat the food! Simply horrible”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I would give this 0 stars if I could. We picked this restaurant based on the great reviews. We were a party of 5, looking for great Italian cuisine. We could not find a menu online. When we went to the restaurant, we were horrified that no traditional Italian cuisine was on the menu. Instead, there were very few dishes, most involving rabbit, duck and bison. We found the food simply dreadful. After 2 bites, I pushed away my plate of pasta with bison. It was simply tasteless. Not one person in our party liked the food. In fact, they all hated it. It was very expensive and very disappointing. I left the restaurant, food uneaten, and ended up going to McDonald's as I was starving.
On the other hand, the waiter was very nice and helpful .
Just be careful that before you go, this is the type of food you want to eat.
What a waste of money and time it was for us.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank concernedmom12
“Great italian restaurant!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Honestly I had an amazing food experience at Hostaria! It reminds me of the food my nonna used to cook! Very impressed with the quality of the food and the service was great!!

• Visited March 2014
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great first experience. Can't wait to come back.”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Considered by some foodie friends to be the most authentic and freshest Italian dining experience in Montreal, I had to find out for myself.

Upon entering into the restaurant, our party of 4 were greeted with open arms as if we were walking into an old friend's home. We instantly felt at home.

The first thing I noticed upon walking in was the beautiful white marble bar with an assortment of freshly prepared garden vegetables. Couldn't wait to get started!

We were promptly taken to our table past the chalk board with daily specials and the gorgeous wine cellar towards the back of the restaurant. A nice intimate corner to commence our soon to be unforgettable dining experience.

Taking a quick look at the winelist, I knew they were serious about vino here. Several organic and privately imported selections. Lots of classics but also many lesser known varietals. Thankfully our knowledgable waiter was able to recommend us a nice bottle of prosecco to start off the evening as he was explaining the specials.

We ended up ordering the fresh marinated vegetables to share, a dish of fried artichoke hearts and the anchovies from the daily chalkboard. Freshness was the key word here. Great way to start with our bubbly prosecco.

Next we ordered a couple pastas to share before our main dishes came. We had a gnocchi plate made with chestnut flour covered in a Gorgonzola sauce which i thought was original and pasta with a generous amount of duck ragù cooked to a toothsome al dente. So far so good.

For the main, I opted to take the waiters suggestion: a slow-roasted suckling pig. The dish comes piping hot in a terracotta plate which I thought was cool. The pork itself was juicy with a crispy skin that I wish I had more of. My dining companions chose a mackerel dish, and a bone-in breaded veal cutlet. They seemed to like it judging by how quickly the plates were eaten. Our waiter once again recommended a nice bottle of wine to go with our mains. An organic Sicilian blend that we were nervous to try thanks to previous bad experiences with overly jammy and full-bodied Sicilian wines. This was quite the opposite, medium-body, crisp acidity and not overly fruity. It won us over. The bouquet of the wine was a bit funky but the waiter told is it was normal for organic wines like this to develop these aromas.

We ordered a small board of salumi and cheese to help us finish the wine. Unfortunately we had no room for dessert although they had some interesting looking selections.

I ended the night with an expertly-prepared espresso which I find a lot of restaurants in montreal are lacking in. The shot was nice and short with a sweet, nutty aftertaste. Just the way I like it.

All in all a great experience. Can't wait to find a date to impress on the white marble service bar.

• Visited April 2014