“One of the most enjoyable dining experiences ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Le Bremner
Ranked #125 of 5,656 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Bonsecours
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the most enjoyable dining experiences ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

We stumbled across Le Bremner searching for a lighter fare--and we didn't feel like sitting at a table. The bar at Le Bremner was absolutely perfect.

Cocktails, oysters, more cocktails, hake chowder, complimentary shots of something (tasted like limoncello) with the bar staff and all patrons up at the bar counter, porchetta with kimchee and some more cocktails really made it an enjoyable evening and you won't find more friendly and conversable bar staff anywhere (maybe it was because it was 11pm and almost closing time). Impeccable music selection to boot! I didn't realize Le Bremner was featured on a Canadian cooking show but I could see why. Even with the kitchen winding down they whipped up some of the most tastiest food I've had in a long time. Will definitely return on our next visit to Montreal. There is an outdoor patio out back but I did not check to see what that space looks like...

1 Thank walls2009

Montreal
“Quality good, service snail pace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

Celebrating 30th anniversary, my wife chose the place because of the "chef" who has ownership of the place. Prices a bit steep, ($290.00) with $70 wine, quality of food excellent but service at snail pace. Entered at 7pm, left immediately after paying which was 10h15pm. We sat near the south west corner of restaurant with speakers pointing straight at us! The low ceilings made the Music too loud most of the time, songs had various sound levels therefore most of time loud, occasionally normal. Waitress very polite, knew her dishes and well informed of the ingredients! Great. I would return knowing that I'm not to expect to be out in a couple of hours and may have some compromise to accept the quality and loudness of the music.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 5Tony5
“Stick with television”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

$4.50 for a single raw scallop, a cocktail that wasn't even a single ounce, and a 6-7oz piece of fish that was really 4oz...time to get chopped!

3 Thank FoodConquest
Boston, Massachusetts
“a gem hidden in plain sight...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

Luckily we read the reviews so knew there was no sign in front and that Le Bremner was tucked away. I made the reservation online with no problem and confirmed it by phone. We found the restaurant right away although it’s true - there is no sign – it’s like a well-known secret. Isn’t that fun? Our table was ready right when we arrived and was in the front room. Once you are inside the restaurant you cannot tell it is a lower level. It’s lovely inside with chandeliers and a nice bar with exposed brick. Between the 3 of us there was an order of scallops from the raw bar that were apparently fantastic, some tuna & tahini, lamb cavatelli, BC halibut, and a whole seabream (which was declared delicious but rather messy to eat.) For dessert we tried the blueberry & white chocolate tartelette and the chocolate & salted caramel pot de crème. Service was fantastic (thanks Chloe) and the food and drink were excellent. This is not an inexpensive place (I did think my halibut serving could have been more generous) but I would absolutely eat here again if I found myself in Montreal.

1 Thank EllaK10
New York
“Great place, but long wait.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

The second I booked my trip to Montreal I knew I had to go to one of Chuck Hughes' restaurants. Garde Manger was booked, so we went with Le Bremner.

Finding the place can be a little tricky as there's no sign outside, but luckily I found a website that told me to look for the red light going towards a basement. We walked into this super small, but really nice restaurant. We got there a little early and the host and the bartenders were really nice to us, asking us if we wanted to take a seat, if we wanted a drink, etc. They brought us new drinks as soon as they saw our glasses were empty. The staff is very attentive.

The food was absolutely delicious. My fiance doesn't eat seafood, but luckily there was a special of ham steak to make him happy. I, on the other hand, love seafood and I enjoyed everything. We ordered a Ceasar salad, a burrata and tomato salad for apps then he got the ham steak and I ordered the turbo. Never heard of that fish, but it was delicious. Our dessert was a little meh - we got the pancakes with Pimm's sauce I think. Unless you drown the pancakes in the sauce they were dry and hard to get down. The drinks were also really good - a gin drink with ginger for me and a vodka with citrus flavors for my fiance.

So, food, ambience and waitstaff were all great. Downside is the wait time. The meal took 2.5 hours from the time we sat down. It seemed like there were quite a few people working in the kitchen and the restaurant really isn't that big. Maybe we haven't been to enough expensive restaurants, but the wait for food was a bit ridiculous. If you come here make sure you give yourself enough time if you have plans afterwards. When we ordered our dessert the waitress told us we picked the one with the longest wait time, of course. 35 minutes for 5 mini pancakes seemed like a bit of overkill.

Besides the wait time, I loved everything about Le Bremner. Only thing that could have made this night even better was to actually meet Chuck Hughes.