“Good Seafood” 4 of 5 bubbles

Le Bremner
Ranked #134 of 5,657 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Bonsecours
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We went to this place after we saw Danny Smiles in Canada's Top Chef. The main Chef, Chuck Hughes, was also on Top Chef. Both came 2nd. The food is very good. Portions not so good sometimes. Staff are very good. It has a nice atmosphere, some parts cozy and some tables in the backyard. Price is rather high though and place has no sign outside. Not easy to find!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“An expensive torture chamber.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I'm a Frenchman. I live in Paris, France. This is not my first visit to Montreal. I have for years eaten extremely well in Québec. A week ago, I took my children and a friend to have dinner at Le Bremner. We had planned this evening to celebrate my kids's return to University in Montreal. I had read the reviews of the Bremner on this site, and most of them were excellent. There were six of us. We made a specific reservation to be in the terrace so as to enjoy the fine summer weather in Montréal. When we arrived - on time -, the maitre d' insisted that we sit in the dining room, so that we could enjoy the "ambience". Even while we were waiting at the bar, having a cocktail, in the 20 minutes it took to set up our table, the noise coming from the speakers in the dining room was absolutely shattering. I called this to the maitre d's attention, saying that I wouldn't be able to hear my children speak to me. I again received the lecture about the "ambience" and how he wanted to keep everyone together in the dining room. Against my better instincts, I went along with his advice and we sat in the dining room. My children and their significant others are 21 and 20 years old : they are no strangers to loud music. As we sat in this aural torture chamber, my children complained that they couldn't hear themselves think. The "ambience" of this dining room consisted of stone walls, a low hard ceiling, and, most important, a speaker placed strategically above our heads. As the evening wore on, I made three polite requests to our waitress that the music be turned down. The dining room was not filled, by any stretch of the imagination. We were the largest party in the dining room. Each time I requested that the volume be lowered, our waitress said that she would pass on the message. However, in the course of our meal, the music grew louder and louder. By music, I mean an AM radio soundtrack. Finally, towards the end of the meal, after our fourth request, the maître d' approached our table. Exhausted, I complained about the "music", of course, but he was arrogant, unapologetic, and determined to make us understand that this was the "ambience" of the Bremner's dining room and that it was not negotiable. All of us perceived a menace and a threat in his response. We all wondered if he had been drinking. He was a nasty piece of work and in no way would I expect this kind of behavior from a maitre d'hôtel of a reputedly four star restaurant. He made us all feel that we were unworthy of the privilege of suffering an evening in his restaurant. He left the table and then… he turned up the volume.
I am no stranger to fine dining : now I'd like to speak briefly about the food. As an entrée, I had the crab dish. It was so spicy that frankly, I don't know what I ate. The alleged crab was lying on something that had been fried in old oil. As a main course, four of us had the salmon dish. My salmon had apparently been nuked by a microwave oven. As for my guests, I asked them how their salmon was, but I never heard the reply : the "ambience" got in the way.
For the privilege of this sickening "ambience", I paid C$440. When the six of us exited Le Bremner and found ourselves on rue St. Paul West, everyone breathed a sigh of relief : we had escaped a torture chamber. A very expensive one.
I realize that Parisians are often criticized for their arrogance. But please believe me : this is a sincere and truthful testimony about an appalling experience. If you don't believe me, eat at the Bremner at your own risk. Bon appétit.

Visited September 2013
7 Thank jmbenard
“Fantastic food, excellent ambiance, awesome staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Must try! Loved every bite! The service was excellent...the staff is so knowledgeable of their product. The food was fresh and meeting Chef Danny Smiles was a big bonus!!! Would go back any time!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank missK1121
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Fabulous!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This restaurant is located in beautiful Old Montreal. The food, atmosphere and service are the best you will find anywhere! Danny Smilez is the head chef who came in second in Top Chef Canada 2013. He's wonderful and creative as is the famous owner, Chuck Hughes! Call way ahead as this place is super popular!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Maryscap
Montreal
“Different chef?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

A return visit for me, and this time came with my wife and out of town guests. I raved about my first dining experience here, about a month ago. What a huge disappointment this time. The menu choices appear to have shrunk down to 3 main choices of meat (2 were lamb) and 3 or so fish choices. The appetizers were food albeit tiny portions. The spicy tomato salad was very tasty, although there was no bread. After asking twice, bread sticks were served.
Everything afterwards was disappointing. The halibut was overlooked. The hake rather bland unless you drank the broth. The shrimps were in an overly sweet sauce.
Service was friendly and attentive until we got kicked out for the 2nd seating.

Bottom line is we went home hungry after dropping over 100$ per person.
I was hugely disappointed and embarrassed for my guests.

• Visited August 2013