“Different but tasty”

Ranked #123 of 5,854 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Bonsecours
Reviewed July 1, 2013

the menu is not your standard fish & chips fare. The items look different so explanations are necessary but presentation is great and food so tasty. Staff are bohemian - young hip & groovy. Own sodas are different, wine list varied and decor, in a basement with an outdoor area, was quirky but comfy. Not a real dress up place but comfortably casual.

There are newer reviews for Le Bremner

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Perfect spot for diner and great food.
The atmosphere is special and the food was just delicious.!!
Service was pretty slow, had to ask three times for a drink menu and once I ordered drinks had to ask a couple times as well before getting them.
But overall an amazingly tasty experience..!
I'll go back there as soon as I'm back to Montreal .!!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

When we decided to visit Montreal, I decided that I was going to do all in my power to reserve at Le Bremner. At the same time, I was intensely aware that I was setting my expectation bar very high and that usually sets me up for disappointment ... but not this time. Le Bremner proved to be all I could want and more!

We had to wait a few minutes for our table, but we had arrived early. Soon we were set up on the patio. Despite the cool weather, we were warm and enjoyed the setting very much. The chef de cuisine stopped by the table to be sure we were comfortable and happy. After a long flight my aging eyes were not happy reading the menu, so I turned myself over the to server.

The server started my husband and I with cocktails my sons with house-made sodas. I selected the day's starter (which was rich) and mentioned that I would like something light for the main. Immediately, the server made a recommendation, which I quickly accepted -- it turned out to be perfect. In the meanwhile, my husband and sons made their selections, and even my VERY picky younger son settled in happily with his pizza selection. When the mains arrived, we were asked about wine and I asked the server to pick what she felt best -- this, too, was perfect!

The piece de resistance, however, was dessert. There were several "breakfast" items on the dessert menu. One son had "the chef's famous pancakes" (lived up to the reputation) and my other son had the doughnuts. I can only say that the first tasting of the doughnuts by my son -- my very, VERY picky son, who never seems to like food -- was worth "the price of admission." Eyes rolled back in his head in complete ecstasy, a slump of utter resignation, and a nearly helpless "<delete expletive>, they're warm!" ... my son experienced transcendent joy in food! For my part, I ordered a pot de creme (chocolate, salted caramel, and peanut butter) which normally I would have avoided like the plague (too many flavours!) ... but oh, my lord ... PERFECTION! From texture to taste to balance to experience ... PERFECTION!

As we left, we had the opportunity to chat with the chef de cuisine and exchange about the food delicacies in our corner of the world (Vancouver Island).

It was a meal and an experience that I have relived again and again in the past few weeks, always with increasing happiness. It was one of the few times in my life that I gave way entirely to the server and chef without regard to cost. While expensive, so were other far less good meals we had in Montreal. This was what I had come for! It was all I had hoped and more.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Ate here last week on recent trip to Montreal. Reservation was easy to get; then again, it was a Monday evening.

Service was attentive.
Hip little place.
A little difficult to find; it's underground.
starter was oysters: tasty!
Pork belly main course was very salty. My friend's salmon was overcooked and also tasted like the ocean....even more salty!

Wait staff were attentive: my water glass was always replenished which is a good thing with all that salty food.

Portions were fine. Some people have commented about the small portions. The execution of the food was the most disappointing. The oysters were great but they were raw....hard to mess that up.

I've had much better food in Montreal. Perhaps come here for drinks and party ambiance instead.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Reserved for six, 2 and a half weeks ago. Food was amazing - Waitress was prompt and courteous. The only thing that lacked was the service. We waited an extra 30 minutes at the bar (standing up)...for our table; We were crammed like sardines. I was expecting a round of drinks for our wait,...but nothing. Like i said, the food was superb! The only thing that lacked was a little judgement.