“Great service, quirky property”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau St-Marc

Chateau St-Marc
Ranked #86 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Los Angeles, California
“Great service, quirky property”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

The service at the Chateau St-Marc was warm, friendly and ever-so responsive. The hotel had a B and B feel and that includes the idiosyncratic décor typically found in a B and B. The room was getting an add-on and had some rough edges but furnishings were nice quality. That said, everything was spotless and fresh, the mattress very comfortable and the room was one of the quietest I have ever experienced in travel. Must be the stone buildings blocking any other guest noise. I would strongly recommend upgrading the quality of the breakfast pastries and cereals to match the fine cuisine available throughout downtown Montreal. Good location.

Room Tip: most rooms accessible via steep and somewhat narrow staircases
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank C0nference_g0er

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Disregard the poor reviews - this hotel is simply one of the hidden gems of the city. The outward appearance is subtle, almost to the point where I thought we made a mistake. However, once inside, it becomes almost like a second home, albeit grandiose. The staff is nothing short of spectacular. I have stayed in world class hotels throughout the globe, and this staff is just as good as any. The owner is particularly friendly and accommodating (let us check in hours before our assigned time, while also allowing us to pick our room). We fell in love with his adopted dog Sushi! The Imperial Suite 2 was amazing. The balcony was spacious and the sky lights were an added welcome in the morning. The location was great. Far enough away from the busy streets to not be woken up by the festive nature of Montreal, but close enough to walk everywhere (including the Via Rail). I would gladly make this my hotel of choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Abef_11, General Manager at Chateau St-Marc, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear
We are so glad you had a good time during your stay with us.
We are here and always ready for you anytime you like to come back again. Until then we wish you and all our guests the real best!.
Many thanks.
Regards
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have been using TA for trip planning for many years, thus I am writing this review even though it goes against the lion's share of comments. Rather than re-write what several others have stated, I refer the reader to the Sept. 23rd. review, "Oh my" and December 28th. review, "Overpriced...not a 5*". Both captured the essence of our stay. When we checked in late at night and my husband grumbled about the room, I thought he was irritable after a day of travel. However, after a quick shower in a tiny bathroom NOT worthy of a 4/5* (dirt beside the toilet, a toileteries rack that was coming off the wall, uneven flooring, incomplete renovation) I quickly realized that his first impression was correct. My error in booking this boutique hotel was that I discarded the poor reviews as they were in the minority. Perhaps there are other rooms that are worthy of a high ranking. If so, I urge a potential guest to pay attention to the reviews that identify problematic rooms (ours was in the main building, at the very top of a narrow, winding iron staircase) and avoid these. BTW, I have extensive international travel experience, and although I anticipated a European-type accommodation, our room and its surroundings did not reflect this.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that have received poor reviews; they are accurately represented (unless PROFESSIONA...
3 Thank GRG
Abef_11, Manager at Chateau St-Marc, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello Dear
Our most important policy is that any guest is a VIP and when they leave they have to be satisfied. So please call the Hotel at 1-800-463-6356 when you have a few minutes..
Best Regards
Ithaca, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

There was a leak in the room we booked and they weren't able to get a hold of us because we were traveling. The owner and staff went out of their way to try and compensate for the hassle by readying a less expensive room at their hotel and also reserving a comparable room at another hotel so we'd have a choice. We decided to stay in the less expensive room - overall, we were pleased with our choice. Minor maintenance needed to be done, but the room was clean and cute.The staff was fantastic, the hotel lovely, and we were close to many attractions. We will definitely be back.

Pawleys Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed at the Château Saint-Marc in the Royal Suite late September 2013, traveling with friends. Both couples stayed in the suite, and with 2 BR and 2 bathrooms it was large enough for all of us. The hotel had a European flair to it. The cold breakfast buffet had something for all of us. The location is within walking distance to many restaurants. The staff is extremely helpful & gave us great suggestions & directions. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bill M
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

As I start to write this, I wonder if there is any way to make this sound like I’m not exaggerating but I’ll try to convey our experience as honestly as possible. I can only hope anyone thinking about staying here would spend the extra 20 or 30 bucks and stay elsewhere. This review only applies to the “basement suite” and I use the term suite very loosely.

First off, we vacation a lot, usually stay at hotels over 3.0 but as close to 5 if possible, if we can get a deal on popular travel websites. We grew up in Montreal so we know the area well and two nights anywhere normally wouldn’t hurt anyone. I dropped my wife at the front door since there was no parking in the immediate area. No problem, I parked at another hotel around the corner and it was cheap. When I got back to the hotel, the front door was locked. The guy (this is how I will refer to him from here on in) who was working the “front desk” (there is no front desk, this is basically an old townhouse converted to a hotel, no room for front desks and I have no problem with that) ran to unlock the door. I thought it was odd that the door was locked. He advised me that my wife was waiting for me in our room. Great. Then he preceded to show me where my room was. We had to go down a rot iron spiral staircase that was about 18 inches wide from side to side and steep. Once at the bottom (the basement) we passed through a small short hallway with the door to the room to the left and what looked like a kitchen area to the right. The sink was full with glasses that were somewhere in the middle of being washed. Beyond the sink area was what appeared to be a kitchen area although I could only see a small portion of it. I knocked on our room door and my wife opened the door to let me in. Once inside and after scanning the room, she explained that the guy advised her that there was another room available upstairs but that it was not cleaned yet and we would have to move after one night even though we booked the room a while ago. So basically this was going to be our room. I looked around and this is what I saw.

1) The room was very dark as there were no windows in it.
2) The furniture was very old. Looked like someone scavenged a flea market for antiques but never re-finished them to make them look nice. They were literally falling apart.
3) The keychain for the room key had a key for our room and the front door, as the door is always locked from the inside. (the guy showed my wife how to unlock the door as there was a “trick” to it) Not good.
4) There was a large aquarium in the room (LARGE) which happened to be empty.
5) There was a back door, that led apparently, to a fire escape but the door was blocked by a large spa bathtub which was outside of the actual walled in bathroom area and a wide 6 drawer dresser and an arm chair. It would take some effort to get to the door if you needed to and I hope no one ever has to find out.
6) The room was actually quite large but there was a separate bathroom area that was walled off and raised about 4 inches. All of the molding was unattached and just kind of leaning against the wall. You may think that this was on account that they were doing renovations but I can assure you there were no renovations going on in this room.
7) There were two night stands beside the large king size bed and when I opened the drawer on one of them, the front “panel” with the handle came off in my hand.
8) There was another large 6 drawer dresser to the right of the bed and another dresser behind it blocking what appeared to be a door to the kitchen. The door itself was only about 5 feet tall but I did not see any locks on it.
9) When I tried to open a drawer to this dresser, it too came off in my hand.
10) There was a huge flat screen tv on the wall beside this. Honestly, I love my flat screen tv’s but this was ridiculous for where it was located. Very odd.
11) And finally, just to the right of the door was a fairly large armoire. I opened it to see if there was a safe in it (yeah right) but instead of a safe, there were about four to five men’s shirts hanging in it.

This was the last straw so to speak, so after having a good laugh to ourselves (only laughing because we were able to leave), we grabbed our bags and headed past the dirty dishes and tried to get up the spiral staircase from hell. We spoke to the “guy” and told him my allergies would not allow me to stay at the hotel. We offered to pay for the first night but asked him if he could cancel the second night’s reservation. He called his boss who after listening to my allergy story, asked me if we would like him to have the carpets removed from our room. I told him that that really wouldn’t help and he agreed to cancel night two. It wouldn’t have mattered anyways, I would have paid a week’s worth of rooms just to leave at that point.

I know when renovating my home, I was not allowed to have a bedroom in the basement without a window in it. I’m not sure if this is a legally designated room or not but I do know that if there is ever a fire in this hotel, the people staying in this room are probably doomed. So if you book a room at this “hotel”, DO NOT stay in the basement room.

Pros and cons

Pros – Nice old building from the outside, centrally located, large flat screen tv, large aquarium (bring your own fish)

Cons (basement suite only) – Not clean, old musty room, question the legality of the room, no windows, fire hazard, not 3.5 star more like 1 star, hidden doors, flimsy locks, etc etc etc.

So there it is, good luck to future travellers. Take this review or leave it. I know I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the basement.
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Mac0075
Abef_11, Manager at Chateau St-Marc, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello Dear
We are sorry about your experience. This hardwood-floor room has two exits the first is the main door and the second is in the back that has a window integrated in it and it gives on a small court where you can exit from there. The room has a limited view but unlike other rooms it comes bundled with free full breakfast, free parking and also a Jacuzzi so you can have a greater value. The large blue lighted aquarium was meant to give a relaxing feeling to your stay.

To try to satisfy you after we offered you another room, a hardwood floor 2-bedroom suite on a higher floor for the same price but unfortunately you did not like it. We even offered to take out the two carpets from the floor since your husband mentioned that he is allergic to carpets. We did not have other rooms available to show you on that night.

Because your satisfaction is our main goal, we made also other exceptions after.

Regards
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at Chateau St. Marc for 1 night and the stay was better than we expected. We enjoyed the Royal Suite and we were blown away with the size (2 separate bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and balcony)...Granted some of the decor is slightly dated but really we don't care about that. The staff were amazingly friendly and polite. The location was great for what we were there for (dinner at O Noir - check it out too), very close to St Catherine and Mont- Royal. We would definitely stay here again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple