“A three but a solid three”
Review of Hotel de Paris

Hotel de Paris
Ranked #79 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We chose this hotel for our overnight in Montreal because of its location, price, and the fact that it's pet friendly. Our plans changed and we had cause to call the hotel and change the date of our arrival. The clerk was very helpful and called me back within twenty minutes to confirm our new reservation. Upon arrival we were cordially greeted, and then hit with a 15$ upcharge for the dog and a switch to a room in the annex across the street. We were able to park directly in front of the annex which was convenient as both buildings are walkups and there is no bell service. The room itself was quite large with a triple bay window facing rue Sherbrooke, nice hardwood floors, and a recently redone bath with tub. But this is where the fun ends. Room 16 has one of the smallest window air conditioners I've ever seen and it was no match for the 90 degree weather and 100% humidity. And the bed? Well l admit we were quite exhausted by the time we crawled into it only to discover it was as hard as rock. In places the springs had worked their way to the surface. There was no comfortable position. Good thing we had to get up early. I would stay in this room again (the devil I know) if the bed were changed. Breakfast was lovely. All in all with the pet charge, taxes and all, the value was quite diminished. The Sheraton would have been cheaper.

Room Tip: Room 16 in the Annex was quite nice but the bed must be changed. Beware the upcharge if you're t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mponsot

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I like to follow the criticism sandwich technique. Here's mine for this hotel: The prices were great, but the first room had evidence of bed bugs, they promptly switched our room for us. We did not go into this hotel expecting a first class place; we are aware of the "you get what you pay for," idea. I would just say be aware that this might be a problem (as it can be anywhere nowadays) and check the bed before sleeping in it or putting your bags on the bed or floor.
After getting switched, the stay (which thankfully was only one night), the second room was clear of any bugs, but was extremely small. We also had someone try to get into our room numerous times in the night, which was a little unsettling, but we chalked it up to someone confused about what room they were in (hopefully that was it).
If you want some details: the bed was decently comfortable, the bathroom was clean for the most part, the shower couldn't decide whether it wanted to be hot or cold (there wasn't any in-between), the location was not that bad (but we drove around the city).

The other thing that was a little misleading was the parking. I know on their website it says that there are some spots that are "first come first serve" but it looked like only one spot, in a dark alley in the back. We ended up paying for parking on the street, which wasn't as bad as it could have been.

The breakfast in the morning was also a let down. It was one croissant and a piece of fruit. But again, with what you pay for, I guess you shouldn't expect more than that.

I like to base my reviews on whether I would stay at a place again, I would look for another place if I'm ever back in Montreal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela D
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had booked this hotel to stay in over a month before going to Montreal, and I happened to read some reviews on this website a few days before I went. All that I can say is that any reviews on here that were negative must have been used to hotel services at the Ritz. For the size and price of this hotel, it was one of the best I have been to. The service was great; we were walking everywhere in Montreal and the minute we got in the door the front desk gave us a map and drew out all the places we needed to make sure we walked, as well as the best places to eat. We were never more than an hour away from any location we wanted to walk to. The room was nice, and was tidied up well during the day while we were out. The breakfast was simple, but tasty. The bathroom was small, with a bit of fluctuation in water temperature, but that is understandable for staying in an extremely old building. All in all, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, be sure to tell them because there is no elevator. It was 64 stairs...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SJTravelerAM_23
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I must start by saying that if you stay here you will probably not be happiest on the main floor near the lobby. Between thin windows and noise from the lobby earplugs for sleeping was a necessity. We were also upgraded from a budget room but the room we were upgraded too was still basic with a tiny washroom so I cannot speak to what a budget room is like.

All that being said, I would still go back (just work on getting a higher floor) because the staff is so wonderful, the building is attractive, the room and bed was comfortable and a lovely breakfast was included. The plateau is a great neighbourhood too. The hotel is very near the Sherbrooke metro and an easy walk to the lively rue St. Denis.

Room Tip: Near the street and lobby was noisy, further back on the main floor or higher up is probably better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScubagirlToronto
Reviewed May 25, 2013

we're a group of 8... stayed in a big room (top room)... very clean and quiet. really a french style home. good location with safe parking. we enjoyed our stay and "i" or shall i say "we" will definite book this place again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nucxs
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed in this small two star hotel during a May weekend with a friend. Very simple/modest but clean and with character, just what one would expect from a Montreal hotel. A renovated Victorian building with modern amenities, wood floors, the rooms and bathroom just the right size for comfort. Free/safe street parking during the weekend. Pay parking available in the area. Excellent breakfast included in the attached French/Thai restaurant, also with lots of character and terrace. Walking distance from the main city to city bus station, buses on the street, walking distance from the subway. While very quiet area, take an earplug, the walls are fairly thin. Will return for sure and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank OttawaAsia2010
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My mother and I spent a long weekend at this hotel the first weekend of May. We thoroughly enjoyed staying here and I would certainly do so again. The hotel was very close to St. Denis, the bus stop, and the metro. We really ejoyed the breakfast we had at the little restaurant downstairs to the hotel, where they offered a $4 voucher. We decided to upgrade our breakfast every day as it was well worth it.

The Thai supper they served at night was delicious too! I would recommend eating here if you enjoy Thai. Oh and the servers were great! What a sweet group of charming guys! Kudos!

My only suggestion to make would be that the shower head in Rm 29 be replaced. This is a very simple fix and is only minimal costs to change. Having a shower that worked so poorly was a bummer, but we survived....worse things could go wrong!! Also, It would be nice to have a seperate sheet seperating the duvet cover from the bedding. Most hotels make their beds with this extra sheet. I wasn't sure if the top cover/duvet was changed between customers......just wanted to mention....

I would go back and stay here again. The value was great I felt very safe and comfortable staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms at back were quiet. Breakfast is worth a try. The AC wasn't the greatest, luckily we opene...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family