“Montreal Mothers Day Holiday”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Montreal
Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto
“Montreal Mothers Day Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I went to the Spring Hill this past Mothers Day weekend. And while the weather was rather crummy, the stay at the Marriott was very enjoyable.

The Room
The room was huge. It was My parents, my sister and myself and while the beds were a double (slightly smaller than a queen) it was still enough space. I think the large sofa was a pull out and we could have slept on that, but there was really no need. We were however charged $30 extra dollars per (extra two) people per night. The room was clean, towels were ample (we asked for 4 more) big screen plasma TV with a substantial amount of English channels. It had many amenities including a working fridge, microwave, coffee peculator and coffee provided as well as a ironing board. The heater worked and you could open the window. All in all it was clean and comfortable.

The Food
The complimentary continental breakfast was great! I had no doubt mind you. Eggs, muffins, cereal (hot and cold) waffles, toast, sweet bread and hashbrowns. It was plentifull and enjoyable. You could take it up to your room or eat in their restaurant style mezanin. A+

Parking
Parking was $20 a night. but well worth it. The parking lot across the street looked very sketchy and after hearing about all of the theft issues I decided to park in the underground parking. Well worth it. I was able to take my car in and out at will and the parking guys were very nice.

Location
The location was great. It was tucked away in the middle of old Montreal and you can essentially walk anywhere from the hotel. there are countless eclectic french restaurants in the area as well as many familiar chain fast food places. McDonald's and Tim Horton are right around the corner. You are withing a 2 minute walking distance to the water and pretty much every local attraction.

Language Barrier
Don't even worry about it. Everyone seems to be bilingual and happy to accommodate.

Flaws
I was disappointed that the hotel did not have wireless internet connection for my iTouch. Though the hotel does have a great little business room that has a computer, fax, internet etc. There is also in room connection if you brought your laptop.

The Gym
They do not advertise their gym on their site. It's not in any of the pictures. But I was hopeful. When I got there I saw some really great shots of a fully equiped gym with treadmills, Elliptical machines, free weights and machines. But when I got there it looked really run down. The elliptical was horrid and the treds looked like they had had better days. Same goes with all the equipment. I really looked nothing like the pictures. The greatest disappointment of the hotel. Also, to pool was dingy. It looked really bad. The hot tub was no better - gross.

All in all I really enjoyed it! I would go again.

• Stayed May 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

Even if it's hidden, it's a wonderful place to stay. The buffet breakfast had practically everything I could think of, the staff was friendly and the location is great.

There are numerous restaurants nearby to satisfy every traveler's taste, from pubs to patios to fast food and high end steakhouses. The subway station is roughly a 5 minutes walk away too.

The value is wonderful with a kitchenette, fitness centre, high speed internet, and a pool on top of the breakfast, there's not much more one could ask for.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Cambridge, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

We stayed at this hotel during the weekend of February 13th. Our travel arrangements were changed last minute and we ended up arriving about 3 hrs earlier than out requested check in of 11am. I called in around 4am to inquire about an early check in before our already requested early check in. The clerk could not guarantee and asked us to inquire upon arrival if a room was available. Unknown to us until we got there, the clerk had already notified the clerk on the next shift and a room was ready when we arrived. I felt this was above and beyond and to whoever was night auditor during the early morning hours of Feb13, thanks very much. The service was amazing. As for the hotel itself, I have no complaints. In was a terrific stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank anushian
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2009

I stayed here for 5 nights during a conference in February. I chose this hotel because of the great reviews on TA and its proximity to the conference centre and Old Montreal. I was a little worried that my taxi driver from the airport had not heard of it or the road it’s on. It turned out- he wasn’t the only one- in fact not one taxi driver knew of it, and so had to check for directions- so take the hotel address with you! It’s on a narrow one-way road leading down to the old port, 1 or 2 blocks away from Notre Dame Cathedral.
I was absolutely delighted with every aspect of this hotel and cannot fault it in any way. I saw 4-5 reception staff during my stay and they were all pleasant and extremely helpful with booking taxis, transportation to shopping and sights, restaurant recommendations, etc. That’s a huge plus for this hotel too- the proximity to so many fantastic restaurants.
My suite was spacious with a desk and chair, sofa, armchair and coffee table and a small kitchen area (fridge, microwave, kettle and sink) leading onto the king-size bed and to the side a wash area and a separate toilet with shower over bath.
There was plenty of choice for breakfast – and I loved the waffle-maker! The hotel also has a business centre with desktops and printers which you can enter at any time with your room key- which was handy for checking in on-line and printing off my boarding pass.
There’s also an adjoining spa which offers a discount if you’re staying at the hotel at the time you book. I had a body wrap treatment with massage and face cleanser which was absolutely heavenly! Ask for Tatiana!! I had this massage just before getting a taxi to head for the airport- and I felt great- till I got to the airport!! So here’s my moan about Montreal airport- I’d printed my boarding pass, and only had hand luggage but ended up queuing for 1.5 hours with a million other people to get through security. This airport cannot deal with international travel- it’s what you might expect to see in a developing country- expect I’ve never seen a developing country that had an airport this badly-organised. Allow plenty of time!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank KP58
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

Excellent location. Hotel was convenient, room was very big (upgrade to a suite with 2 double beds for 2 adults...). Pool was very old though... Business centre with free internet was very good. Breakfast ok. Staff friendly and certainly helpful. Parking charge was promptly removed when I told I used the free outside parking spaces (rented car does not mind -20C / 5F :P ).

• Liked — Location, big rooms, excellent service, free internet, incl. breakfast in base rate
  • Disliked — Swimming Pool
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicolasjclement
New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2008

Stayed there in Aug 2008. If you want to make Old Montreal the centerpiece of your Montreal stay, this place is perfectly situated. Exterior blended in locally, but interior was American in style, new & good quality, and very well sound-proofed. I thought the front desk staff were acceptable but not exceptional, as a few verbal exchanges got confusing with them (and it was not a language barrier). But ultimately, the hotel was well-run and of high quality. Supposedly the "oldest inn in North America - 1754" is connected to the hotel lobby. We walked through it and it looked old and stately, but we did not have the opportunity to eat there. There is a parking garage connected to the hotel, and we had no issues unlike the other unfortunate poster. The rooms were clean, and were appointed as expected for this class of hotel. A little more drawer space would have been nice, but it was not a big issue.

The only problem we had with the hotel was the buffet breakfast. We were there a whole week, so we tried it on a variety of days. Now, we were there during the summer, and based on how crowded the lobby and hallways appeared to be, the hotel seemed to be no more than 50% occupied. Yet, the few times we tried to utilize the breakfast buffet, it was jammed. When the eggs went empty, it took a while for replacement food to be brought out. So, despite the extra cost, we opted for eating out.

Eating breakfast American-style in Old Montreal can present its own challenge. Most of the breakfast places simply had croissants, fruit and the like. In the whole of Old Montreal, we only found three places that offered an American-style breakfast. The nicest place for this was in the Le Saint Sulpice hotel, a few blocks away. The other two were nearby, as well, but were more diner quality.

When you are here, you are conveniently in the heart of Old Montreal, but on a street which itself is not busy. All of the Old Port, church and museum destinations are only a few blocks in any direction. The coolest thing we did was rent Segways. The Segway rental place is in the Old Port, on the last pier on the north end of the port. We also were there during the long fireworks festival that they have every summer. Again, going out to the pier area on the north end of Old Port will afford you a good view.

For dining, there are any number of "historical" places besides the place in the hotel lobby that one can eat, such as Gibby's or Restaurant Place St-Paul. Strangely, both my wife and I thought that just about every glass of wine we drank was of poor quality. We thought we would be awash in high quality French wines, but either the Canadian taste in wines is non-existent, or the French ship them all of their low-quality product. As with any touristy area, the food is somewhat overpriced, but there are a fair amount of good-quality places that can be found.

One other thing to look out for in Old Montreal is a complete lack of bank ATMs. There were plenty of the fly-by-night ATMs, but no bank ATMs at all - zero. As luck would have it, my bank debit card is very finicky about functioning with the cheap ATMs, so when we ventured out of Old Montreal, we had to cash up at a real ATM.

Bottom Line: overall, hotel is of good value, in a good location, and you will get at least what you expect from it, if not more.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank Minshara
Southport, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

We loved the SpringHill Suites in Old Montreal as the hotel was one of the nicest Marriotts were have stayed at. Our 2 bedroom suite was roomy enough for the three of us. The room was clean and the beds were so comfortable. The breakfast was not be missed as it was the best "free" breakfast that I can recall at any hotel. The business center was like a lounge with 2 computers. The parking valet was efficient and very responsive with our car always waiting for us when we needed it. The SpringHill is in the very center of Old Montreal with all the shops, art galleries and restaurants an easy stroll away. Jacques-Cartier Place was ony a few blocks in one direction and Notre-Dame Basilica a few blocks in the other direction. For eats, we would highly recommend nearby Chez Suzette (crepes, fondue, soups, etc. ), and Jardin Nelson (music, open air courtyard). The Maple Delights shop was evrything it's name suggests! We had a wonderful time to help celebrate our daughter's 21st Birthday!

• Liked — Location, Breakfast, Parking Valet, Hot Tub
  • Disliked — Not enough time
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family