“Nice hotel but disgusting breakfast”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Montreal
Ranked #33 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Tampere
“Nice hotel but disgusting breakfast”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This hotel is very well located in Old Montreal. Staff is nice and really helpful. Beds are comfortable and sleep quality is good. There is enough TV channels to choose from. WiFi is fast and reliable. There is a swimming pool. Rooms are clean and spacious. The only thing that was bad was the breakfast. On weekdays it was eatable but at weekend it was the works breakfast I have ever seen. And will see! Despite the breakfast the hotel is good and highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Petri P
Ilona A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Montreal, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Petri P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our breakfasts though. Per SpringHill Suites standards, we revamped our morning choices to offer more healthy options, a greater variety, and more ways to personnalize your breakfast. As well, we have different weekend and weekday choices so our longer stay guests have some new to look forward too each morning. Usually our waffle station which is available on weekends is a bit hit with all our guests!

Thank you for helping us to improve our hotel.

Ilona Andrassy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 30, 2014

It was affordable, convenient and clean. I don't know what else you could ask for. It had free WiFi and a complimentary buffet-style breakfast. It was less than a five minute walk to a number of nice restaurants, pubs, shop and cafes. The concierge also hooked us up with a room upgrade, which was a nice surprise. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cori_Peguese
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This hotel has an excellent location very convenient to Old Town Montreal. The room was very nice and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was excellent. The rate was very reasonable for this area. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank david L
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Marriott's Springhill Suites on St Jean Baptiste is a decent property. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the staff is good. It is in a great location that is accessible to everything, and the included breakfast buffet is quite adequate. The lobby is very nice, as is the mezzanine where breakfast is served. We have stayed here twice and will likely stay here again. I note that another reviewer had an issue with the hotel booking a raucous student group. Interestingly, there was a similar group of energetic youth hosted during my last stay. While I was not overly bothered by the students or their boundless energy, I am also not convinced that the hotel will discontinue the practice of hosting such groups or endeavor to warn other guests at the time of booking that such groups are anticipated to be present; there are too many logistical obstacles to do so, particularly with online booking. If this is a potential concern at any Marriott property you intend to reserve, please call ahead and confirm with the front desk. Marriott will not tolerate any of their branded properties not being forthright with you upon inquiry.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I booked this hotel on the understanding and premises that it was close to Old Montreal and close to our favorite restaurant Le Vieux Port. It was also rated a 4 STAR property by Marriott.We wanted a nice weekend away with no KIDS and to have quiet and restful and relaxing weekend with a nice dip in the pool and a hot tub to relax.

We checked in and put our stuff int he room.The room was to be feather free.It was not:( So we had them come in and change the pillows etc. Not a big deal really. The room seemed kind of small and cramped. We went out and made a reservation at restaurant and came back to have a swim.Imagine when you go and go to swim and there is a notice the pool is closed for the weekend.So I asked and apparently it was because they had a group of 300 teens booked into the hotel to all check in on SAT when we arrived:( I was very very upset as I know we booked here for peace and quiet. We were not ONCE informed upon check in or at any other time there was a group that had reserved most of the hotel!!!!!!
I phoned and went down to ask to speak to a Manager.I was informed that no one was there and that sorry and that it will be fine. I called Marriott customer service and asked if they could re assign and rebook our stay to another hotel close by. I went to the front desk and they told me they can do it BUT I had to check out at that very moment as they would charge me for the night as it was 5 pm! At this point we had reservations at a restaurant near so we said no we will check out in the am. I found this to be rude and not accomodating. The hotel should have told us at the start there was a huge tour group booked in the hotel to check in that night.
The stay was riddled with constant NOISE! running above us and constant opening and closing of doors and talking and loud noises well into the night.We did not sleep and left in the early morning and did not even have breakfast as there were too many teens to even get there:(
Upon check out there was not an apology nothing of the sort.I cannot believe a 4 star MARRIOTT has this level of service.VERY disappointed and will NEVER ever stay in the property not recommend it to anyone!! Poor management!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kathynfmom
Ilona A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Montreal, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Kathynfmom,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor, despite the issues with your stay. First let me sincerely apologize for your experience. When we accepted this group (which was the first time, and will be the last) we were under the impression it was a different demographic. Once we realized the nature of the group, our Front Desk team did their utmost to reach ALL regular guests to let them know there would be a student group residing at the hotel during their stay, and giving them them option to cancel without penalty or rebook for another date at the same rate. I am sorry we were not able to reach you prior to your arrival.

However, I would like to clarify a few points, as I myself was on-site most of the weekend, and was aware of every single guest complaint or issue. I know the Front Desk clerk assured you there would be security on every floor in the evening, and one agent present 24-7, which was the case. As well, I know we rebooked you for the next evening at the Chateau Champlain as soon as possible, where I believe you enjoyed your stay.

Regarding breakfast, as I was breakfast amabassador each morning of the group's visit, I can assure you that there were NO students during breakfast hours from 7 to 10 am, and we have never seen such peace and quiet during breakfast, even on regular weekends.

I totally sympathize with your disappointment, and I agree this type of large group is daunting, but at the hotel level all team members did their utmost to care for our regular guests and went above and beyond (within our power) to minimize the level of disruption.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was there to celebrate my anniversary with my bf since we didn't plan everything. The breakfast was ok, the rooms are ok too, I love the design in the lobby though. In all it was not a bad experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ilona A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Montreal, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Aliyah B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! We are glad we hosted you for a special occasion and you enjoyed our lobby design. We love the stained glass separator in our cozy lobby, and feel it represents the flavour of Old Montreal!

We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you in the future.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great hotel! Stayed here almost 2 weeks in January on business, and it felt like home :)

Location: Amazing - right in Old Montreal! Close to Chinatown. 15-20min walk to trendy St. Laurent or St Denis for nightlife and Dining

Staff: Genuinely friendly :) Front desk great and cleaning lady always said a friendly hello in morning and we would chat in hallway

Free Candy: Free Chupachups at the desk haha - what more do you need?

Oh yeah - the ROom! They upgraded me for free to King suite - very comfortable room with different spaces. Slightly dated but overall a 9/10. True blackout curtains awesome for a great sleep

Amenities: Ok so the pool is bathtub sized haha but I loved a good soak in the hottub everynight after work

Breakfast: nothing special, but it is 'free' and some variety of cereal, eggs, sausage, yogurt etc

Overall - a nice place to spend time and enjoy the best of montreal :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business