“About what you'd expect”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Montreal
Ranked #34 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“About what you'd expect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Clean, close to Old Montreal, nice enough. Rooms are pretty small, though we did get a suite with a HUGE walkout terrace that my boys used to play catch...a lifesaver!! We had the biggest suite there but still tight for a family with 3 small kids. Breakfast was good but crowded. Perhaps our biggest disappointment was Montreal itself. We're from Chicago and agreed they could take a lesson from our streets and sanitation department! We went to Toronto last year and it was spotless...assumed Montreal would be the same, but garbage and dirt kind of just laying around everywhere. Old Montreal was also quite dead, aside from some bars in the evening. Mostly TACKY trinket shops or businesses that seemed closed for the season (or forever?). Perhaps it was the time of year, but if that's the case then only go to Montreal in the summer! Mt Royal was nice, Notre Dame, Marche Jean Talon, etc were great. Skip Olympic park. Truly depressing. Barron, unmaintained concrete jungle that looks like a George Orwell novel. Even the ring of flags were all tattered and torn.

3 Thank chicagoillinoisdad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had an enjoyable stay for 3 nights and this is the best of the accommodation that we have used recently. The rooms were well designed and very comfortable with and ample hot and cold breakfast included. The location is on a quiet narrow street in Old Montreal, convenient to Notre Dame and the Centaur Theatre.You can walk to the Metro subway and the downtown area. Staff provided great service.,

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Allan7575
Montebello, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Let me preface this by stating that I am a loyal Starwood property member for decades (Sheraton, Westin, four points, etc). Until this trip. Having never been to Montreal and with only 2 days, I tried to find the best location to see the most of Montreal on foot. I used orbitz to find a phenomenal deal at this hotel. Clean. Free breakfast. Best location. Great staff. Excellent room. The pool was small but I wasn't there to swim. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank E M
West Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I absolutely cannot find one negative thing to say about our stay here. From the moment we checked in (accommodated early, no less) we were greeted with helpful friendliness at every turn. The rooms was spacious, well laid out and clean. We had 2 beds, a sitting area with TV (programing in French and English), a small kitchenette area with a desk/table. We were traveling with our teenagers, so there were essentially 4 adults in the room and we were very comfortable. The beds/pillows were marvelous - the best night's sleep I've had in years, especially in a hotel. The front desk personnel gave us directions and recommendations for places to eat (Les 3 Brasseurs, just around the corner - awesome!) held our bags at checkout and arranged a taxi ($40 fixed price to/from YUL). The breakfast food was delicious and bountiful. The hotel is located close to everything - walk 2 blocks in any direction and you're someplace special. Old Montreal is a beautiful city, and my family and I plan to visit again. I won't even look for another hotel - I'll call the SpringHill Suites straight away.

2 Thank ourvan
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our family of five recently stayed here on a short trip to Montreal, and one of the reasons that I generally like SpringHill Suites is that their rooms nicely accommodate five. This hotel was no exception - the room was very spacious, including a small kitchen area and a huge bathroom. It was clean with ample towels, pillows, nice bedding, etc. The location is perfect, really in the heart of Old Montreal. We parked with valet parking and walked nearly everywhere (although we took the metro once, very convenient). The breakfast was definitely one of the better hotel breakfasts I've had, with the exception of the weak coffee. But the selection of pastries, eggs, waffles, fruit, yogurt, etc, was excellent. Staff were friendly and happy to talk to us in either French or English. Overall, no complaints!

2 Thank K_Alice_11
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night while in Montreal.

This hotel is MUCH better than the Marriott Chateau Champlain.

The location is great, on a narrow, quiet street.

This hotel is very busy with groups, although I didn't really encounter any issues.

I had a standard suite with 2 beds and it was very spacious. The standard king suites seemed to be the size of an average hotel room. It was clean. I do, however wish the beds were queen size and not double.

Breakfast was very good and there was something for everyone.

Service overall was good except for one person at the front desk who I felt was rather snooty.

The pool and hot tub are small (though understandable as space is at a major premium). For some reason, the hot tub was lukewarm when I was there.

I'd probably return if I was in the area and got a good deal.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

my one big splurge of the year with my boyfriend. bought a living social deal for room, breakfast, spa treatment, two free drinks and access to steam room. I would like to say that i have never done this before and understand that workers have a lot of rules they need to go by and that is all well in good but today, after all this stuff happened and then i saw on my credit card bill they over charged me by $40 that was the tipping point for me! ah!

first, our car got broken into (window smash, $1500 computer stolen) while we were waiting for the 3pm check in. we arrived asking for a little sympathy because i no longer had a window in my car and needed indoor parking in order to be able to leave my car in the city and stay the night. i asked if they could give us free parking since the police had been there looking for us, so obviously my story was true. they said no.... but i understand maybe they can't do that so its its fine. next.

next, the living social voucher included two free drinks which were not available to us because the bar was closed on the days we were there, which was not told when i booked. they could have given us one of those tiny bottles of wine and i would have been happy but they had no intention of doing that. so that was just erased from the deal. also part of the deal was using the steam room which was part of the spa but the front desk person did not mention at all how to access that, but i should have asked.

Room was nice and huge! With two tvs! but one of them was set to some funky setting and we could not get it to work. the other one we could not figure out how to get it to scroll channels until some extensive investigation the next day.

Was sooo excited to go to hot tub. read in book in room there were towels there, so did not bring any. there were no towels there. called desk to get towels. got in hot tub. must have been broken because there was (i am not exaggerating) cold water coming from "jets". waited in warm tub for 20 mins for towels to come. did not come. walked back to room soaking wet. also, this is understandable as well, but no more then 2 people can fit in that thing. it is suuuuuper awkward is there is anyone else there other then a close friend!

Next day. Massage appointment was 1/2 late.i got there at 11, I waited for 10 mins after my appointment time, i got called accidentally and only then did the receptionist tell me the massage person was running late from her house. she said she would be 10 mins. i said, well, it sounds like she might be a while so maybe i will wait in my room. Got called at 11:30. suggestion: they could have let me use the steam room which i was supposed to have access to anyway as part of my deal but at least as a buffer because i had to wait 1/2 hour for my appointment! i am glad i decided to go up to my room and not just wait there staring at the wall next to the nail salon for that long. they did call for me to extend my check out time because i had planned it so i would have time to shower after spa, but with lateness wouldn't have been able to. so that was nice. the massage was good. it really was. it was a weird room and the cd started skipping in the middle but its cool.

At check out got charged $40 in taxes and $20 for parking. ok. thats fine. thats the way things are.

got home. thinking about weekend. montreal awesome! getting car broken into, police not really caring and uncool hotel experience not so awesome.

check bank account. mysterious charge for $37.00 from springhill suites that does not match anything on my receipt!! can not figure out if they just charged me randomly for the fun of it, if somehow i pressed something on the tv that cost $37 when i was trying to make it work or they charged me for a late check out? i have to call them tomorrow, but any of that stuff should have been on the bill they gave me at check out! i have no idea, but thats my story. stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: i guess don't use a living social deal or think that you can go to this place on a budget and no...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pokadott
Ilona A, General Manager at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Old Montreal, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Good morning pokadott,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. First of all, I would like to apologize that your visit to our beautiful city did not exceed your expectations. I am very sorry your car got broken into. Usually Montreal is very safe, and these types of incidents are rare. I also must state that the parking and the spa are third party operators, and while we do work closely with both to ensure a seamless customer service that is up to Marriott Brand Standards, we are unfortunately not responsible, nor can manage, how the individual operators run their businesses. We will share your comments with them however, in order to ensure these types of situations do not reoccur in the future.

That being said, we can and do apologize for the lack of service and issues you experienced while at our hotel. We take great pride in ensuring all guests enjoy their stay with us, and I do understand that if you are here for one night on a special weekend, you want to maximize your visit! We have verified your bill and see no unexplained charges other than the taxes and parking you mentioned. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly if you wish to review your invoice more in depth.

Again, our since apologies, and thank you for helping us to improve our hotel.

Ilona Andrassy