“Perfect romantic escape”
Review of Le Saint-Sulpice

Le Saint-Sulpice
Ranked #14 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a romantic weekend escape at Le Saint-Sulpice. We could not have been more impressed with the facilities. The location was second to none - within a block of Notre Dame Basiclica. You could easily walk throughout Old Port and we enjoyed shopping on St. Catherine's street as well as down by the waterfront all within easy walking distance. The room was immaculate, spacious, extremely quiet and the bedding was top quality. It was modern mixed with old world charm with the interior stone walls - very cozy and upscale. The staff was wonderful. We arrived early and flew out well after check out and they readily held our bags and ordered our car service. They arranged for us to have a dvd in our room, and when we had an issue ordering an inroom movie, they offered us a free bottle of wine as a concession. It was absolutely relaxing - the lobby area had a fire place, a bar (which was small and discreet) and the music was lovely - we spent a few hours just sitting there enjoying the ambiance. If we are to return to Montreal, we would not consider staying anywhere else, this hotel was a real treat.

1  Thank abcde60795
StSulpiceManagement, General Manager at Le Saint-Sulpice, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Le St-Sulpice. We are so happy to hear that you & your husband enjoyed a memorable stay with us. We look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our trip to Montreal was truly a comedy of errors. Our flight was cancelled and the next one was delayed, so by the time we got to the hotel it was after midnight. Arriving at the hotel exhausted, we checked in to our room and went to bed... only to be woken up at the crack of dawn because the room we were put in was directly over the service entrance and we could hear all of the deliveries and garbage collection in excruciating detail.

Fast forward to later that day, after a much needed nap, we were lounging on the couch when my partner noticed an ant crawling on me. Where there's one ant, there are always many. Calling down to the front desk, their first response was to ask me if I had tracked down the source of the ants, and if we'd be happy if they sent a maintenance person up. I'm not entirely certain what the maintenance person could have done to eliminate the ant problem, but after some pressing the front desk person offered us a new room - one that was larger and an 'upgrade' at no charge.

Arriving at our new room we discover a few things:

1) The door does not close properly - you have to shoulder it closed with some force and use the security latch to ensure it stays properly closed
2) The room may have been larger, but it was not an upgrade. While our original room had a fireplace, vanity and separate shower/bathtub, this room had none of those features.

Deciding to make the best of a bad situation, we decide to order some room service for lunch. It takes 4 phone calls and 3 trips to provide all of the items we had ordered.

At this point, I call down to speak to a manager and outline our experience so far. She comps our parking and gives a discount on the bottle of wine in our room. I request some additional pillows and she assures me that someone would bring them over right away. They never arrived.

Coming home from dinner, we find that turn-down service had been performed not just on our bed, but the Murphy bed AND the pull out couch in our room, despite the fact that there are just the two of us. We are now barely able to maneuver through the room and have to put everything away before we're able to sit down on the couch and move around the room.

The next morning upon checkout we re-iterated our experience to the concierge and he was gracious enough to comp us one of our nights (though I had booked through one of their promotions that gave the second night at 50%, so he really only comped 50% of a room night) and then charged our total to the card I had used to secure the reservation, despite me standing in front of him with my debit card out so that I could pay directly. I had to have him reverse the charges so that I could pay for the room.

All in all, there wasn't one big thing that ruined this trip, but a lot of small opportunities for the hotel staff to prove themselves as provider of stellar customer service, which they failed at each and every time.

Room Tip: If you are going to book here, make sure you do not end up in suite 303 - it is directly above the s...
2  Thank Lorysa R

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property in regards to your recent stay. I followed up on all the issues during your stay with my team to ensure they did everything in their power to correct the issues in a timely fashion. At Le St-Sulpice, we pride ourselves on delivering optimal guest service. You can clearly confirm this from the numerous customer reviews on Tripadvisor. I apologize for not being able to offer the memorable stay you deserved. I can guarantee that such issues will not arise in the future and I hope you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make the arrangements for you.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is in a great location... an idyllic neighborhood for strolling the cobblestone streets looking at old architecture, lots of great restaurants, and close to the metro. The room was clean and spacious with nice amenities. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I wish the mattress had been firmer, but the linens were luxurious and the pillows were nice, so that helped make up for it a bit. Overall a very positive experience. It was recommended to us and I would pass the recommendation on to other folks as well.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Four people traveling to Montreal for the first time. We booked two rooms thru the hotel website and everyone had a positive experience at Saint Sulpice. The hotel is ideally situated in Old Montreal next door to Notre Dame (the MOST beautiful church interior we've ever seen). Lots of great restaurants and bars close by. The desk staff was extremely helpful (and charming) with recommendations and directions. The rooms are lovely and we liked being able to close the bedroom off from the living area...and the two TVs. The beds are wonderful with luxurious sheets. The only negative is that we girls thought the bathrooms needed better lighting for makeup. Other than lighting at the bathroom sink, the hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Le St-Sulpice. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first stay with us and we look forward to seeing you back on your next visit to Montreal.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had stayed at Le Saint-Suplice when I visited Montreal in 2005, so when I had to make a trip again in 2012, I decided to stay there again. The place is close to the office branch which made it very convenient.
Needless to say, the choice was great. The place is amazing. The rooms are big, the amenities are second to none and the staff is responsive, polite and very helpful. It is also in the heart of Old Montreal, so lots of restaurants and places to walk to. I will be staying there again when I am back for a business trip to Montreal this summer.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that once again you enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you for your loyalty. We hope to see you back on your next visit to Montreal.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Central and very well located, clean and spacious. Front desk very efficient and kind. Internet free, breakfast not included with my fare. Large room, a little of noise from the street below, anyway tolerable (it was saturday night. Overalll quite good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I reserved three nights here through Snique-Away and even though I arrived late, I receieved a really nice room. The rooms are very large, decorated in brown, tan and creme and are very sleek. There is a Nespresso Machine in the room and you get three coffees per day for free, after which you pay $2.50 per cup. The room was quiet, and the bed was very comfortable - a full body pillow was included.

The service was friendly and efficient. My one issue is that sometimes the room could be more glamorous than homey. I had to improvise a night table out of an occasional table next to the couch and when I ran out of toilet paper, there was no back-up (though I received new rolls very quickly when I asked.

The location is wonderful - right behind the Notre Dame Cathedral. It is on the corner of Rue St, Paul, which has a large number of good restaurants and is right in the middle of the Old Town. .

I would certainly come back to this hotel!

Room Tip: They have rooms on the street floor (RDC), which might be pretty noisy as there is a lot of activi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
StSulpiceManagement, General Manager at Le Saint-Sulpice, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in regards to your recent stay with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you back soon!