“Loved it Here”

Ranked #14 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Campton, New Hampshire
“Loved it Here”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

(We actually stayed here in August of 2010, not September). The rooms here are elegant and comfortable. The staff is helpful and respectful, especially with the valet parking. The restaurant has excellent food and service. Breakfast is good. We loved it here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
StSulpiceManagement, General Manager at Le Saint-Sulpice, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Le Saint-Sulpice. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Montreal.

Vittorio Di Re

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The St Sulpice may have been a pleasant hotel, maybe even recently. It now seems committed to a dizzying spiral into seediness. The worst first: the breakfast service is breathtakingly bad. You cannot get coffee. We had to get up and beg the hostess to send somebody to serve us a small, weak first cup. A second cup is a mad dream. The buffet has good baked goods, cheese, good ham, cereal and yogurt, and bowls of fruit which deteriorated from nice fruit salad at first to watermelon our last day. Perversely inconvenient use of the attractive garden/lobby space, with the waiting-to-be-seated line mingling awkwardly with the buffet line, the routes from tables to buffet blocked off for no apparent reason with big planters so you have to weave between close tables and laden (but coffeeless) servers to get to the buffet. One day we were made to wait seven minutes for a table to be set although there were many empty tables and few diners. Another day we were refused service when we arrived ten minutes before the end of breakfast hours. The coffee issue would be less desperate if you could get coffee in your room. There is a very fancy coffee pod machine in your room. The machines and pods are for sale. You get 3 thimble-sized pods and a piece of paper saying the first 3 are free, all others (more in fridge) $2.50 each. Per day or per stay? There was no documentation stating terms the second day, so we didn’t dare use any more (it would have taken at least 9 to caffeinate all 3 of us adequately). We chose the St-S because it has suites – but coffee (espresso sized) cups, toiletries, towels etc are all for 2 (of the 3 free thimbles, one was decaf so doesn’t count); first day no bathrobes, second day, 2 not 3 bathrobes showed up. Of course we could have called Housekeeping but (1) this should not be necessary and (2) occasional lapses into insolence at front desk did not make us eager to talk to hotel personnel. There are bottles of water in the room and more (2) brought (waking us from desperately needed, hard-won nap) ostentatiously delivered in the afternoon but nothing to say what they might cost. So much has changed so recently at the St-S. that the Guest Manual has an Errata sheet, but some disparities are still not covered in the errata. Fridge is said to be stocked and a price list on counter but there was just one bottle of wine and coffee thimbles, nothing else, in fridge, and no price list. There were a bottle of champagne, 2 glasses, and a card about $49 on the counter. So general atmosphere of commercialism and dangerous money-grabbing booby traps throughout room, causing anxiety, defensiveness, and hostility to the hotel. Warm water in ice bucket when we arrived, so overall cleanliness suspect. Since spa has disappeared, hotel now offers guests use of gym nearby. This gym is small, crowded, and unpleasant. It was not clear whether guests could or could not use a second, reportedly nice gym farther away—hotel itself can't seem to keep up with the massive negative changes, different staff say different things. Room has nice upholstered furniture but wood pieces are nicked, battered and unpolished, seedy looking (they won't spring for a bottle of Old English??). My mattress might have been OK for some; I needed firmer. Bedroom window handle missing, toilet paper holder loose. The hotel is quick to tell you the bedroom is fully private and bath has separate entrances, but they have installed lightly frosted GLASS PANELS around the sink facing the bedroom. So if you turn on lights in the night it disturbs folks in bedroom, and folks in bedroom have to make effort not to notice sink activities. (The whole worldwide transparent-bathrooms-in-hotels thing: let's have a show of hands, how many like transparent bathrooms??) A gigantic fake fireplace protrudes annoyingly into the room (esp. awkward in relation to Murphy bed, which we could have called them to raise and lower every day but didn’t). There is said to be a device to operate the fireplace somewhere but we couldn’t find it. It was summer, we didn’t care, but just one more stupid oversight on the part of the hotel. AC satisfactory but very loud. One tea light for the signature red candle, no refills. Wonder how much we would be charged for a second tea light.
Attitude: The St. S. is very hard to get to by car at present because of constructions blocks in combination with one-way streets. This is not hotel's fault, but when we arrived and said we had had a hard time, the front desk informed us that no, it's very easy. The next day a veteran Montreal cab driver arrived 20 minutes late driving the wrong way up the street and almost in tears with frustration because he couldn’t find a way there. Worse: the Guest Manual says there's a nice bar in the lobby where you can meet a friend, have a drink before setting out, etc etc – the things people do in hotel bars. So, 2 of our party (20-somethings, admittedly overpolite and underdressed, but quite presentable) went down for a drink. They were told no, you can't just have a drink, this is a full-service restaurant (Bagatelle. Don’t go there.). Eventually they were allowed to sit at a side table. They asked for the wine list. The waitress said No. They asked her to suggest some wines. She brought them a glass of chilled red wine that tasted strongly of vinegar, presumably how it was supposed to taste but exotic and obviously not what young people barely past the white Zinfandel stage wanted, and a glass of nice white. I joined them and we had a total of 5 glasses. The bill was $76, the excess owing to the bizarre red. Maybe not that far out of line for a hotel bar, but clearly involving active hostility from the waitress. The young people insisted on tipping her anyway.
Positives: Great location. Very quiet. Front desk efficient, quick to make restaurant reservation, call taxi, though they may sneer at you.
Not good enough. Skip the St Sulpice.

1 Thank ideefixe310
StSulpiceManagement, General Manager at Le Saint-Sulpice, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property regarding your recent stay at Le Saint-Sulpice. We apologize for not being able to meet your expectations during your stay. I will discuss your detailed account of events with all departments concerned to ensure the necessary actions are taken. I wish you could have contacted me during your stay as we could have addressed these issues, react and resolve them immediately. It would be my pleasure to speak with you and we hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The location of this hotel is great. The staff at reception was pleasant and the concierge was very helpful. The room was very spacious and clean. I was disappointed with the continental breakfast. I was there for 6 nights and it was always the same. A little variety would have been welcome. Every day I had breakfast I had to ask for butter and jam. The service was slow even though it was not very busy when I was there. Breakfast is served in the terrace, which is very pleasant.
Rosemary

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Rosemary V
Dear Rosemary,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at Le Saint-Sulpice. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently revising our breakfast set-up to ensure our guests are served in a timely manner during high occupancy days. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Montreal.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Great location. Good room size. Very comfortable. We stayed 2 nights on vacation.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Le Saint-Sulpice. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Montreal.

Rhinebeck, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This hotel came highly recommended by a friend and it was an absolute treasure. Located in the heart of old Montreal, it is within walking distance of the metro, great restaurants and the waterfront. It is often challenging to find a room that accomodates 2 adults and six children, and after having no luck online, I called the hotel directly and was told they do have one room that could not only accomodate us but there was a kitchenette, free internet access (similar hotels charge $15 per night) and free breakfast for two each morning on their beautiful terrace dining room. Normally I would have paid twice as much for the same accomodations. The rooms were beautifully kept, well appointed and with turn down service each night. The concierge made excellent dinner suggestions and the staff were helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
StSulpiceManagement, General Manager at Le Saint-Sulpice, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at Le Saint-Sulpice Montreal. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that your accomodations met the needs of your family. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Montreal.

Rhode Island
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Just returned from a 3 night stay at Le Saint-Sulpice. We had a wonderful time exploring the city for the first time, and loved the location of this hotel in Old Montreal. I choose this hotel because it offered suite style rooms for our family of four. The hotel's website showed beautifully renovated rooms, but unfortunately, we were placed in an older room which showed some wear and tear (torn carpet, banged up furniture and worn out couch cushions). The layout of our room was also different from what is shown on the website, and it felt cramped. Service was also inconsistent..the front desk staff, concierge and valets were very professional, but the restaurant staff at breakfast were so unfriendly that I chose not to eat there after our first visit (and breakfast was included in my stay). I would highly recommend staying in Old Montreal, but not sure this is the best place to do it.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm sorry to hear that the accomodations did not meet your expectations. We have changed the carpets and sofas in 50% of the rooms with the remaining 50% to be completed by November 2011. All beds, linens, bamboo towels, and addition of Espresso machines were completed in 2010. I will pass on your comments concerning the restaurant service to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. Please contact me directly on your next trip to Montreal and I will be delighted to upgrade you for your next stay.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We were on a trip to New England, looking at colleges with our daughter, and at the last minute decided to drive up to Montreal for a couple of nights. My husband's assistant found us the hotel Ste. Sulpice, and told us they'd offered us the Presidential Suite for a huge discount, which sounded great.
The hotel has a terrific location in the center of the old city, and seems proud of its boutique hotel status, but the level of service just isn't on the level of other boutique hotels at all.
The rooms are clean and large, decor seemed new although fairly unsophisticated. Suite had everything we needed, including a large rooftop terrace, so accomisations were comfortable. After arriving, I called downstairs to ask if I could get some things pressed, and the front desk told me housekeeping was closed but why didn't I find the ironing board and do it myself?
Then we got ready to go to the gym (advertised in hotel brochure as 24 hour), and were told it was closed (it was 7 pm on a Friday).
Later that evening, I called the front desk and asked if they had nail polish remover and I got silence, followed by "we don't have anything like THAT". Hmmmm, ok, so I just stayed at the Mercer in NYC where they'll run out to the grocery for you at 2am if you need anything, and I know that's exceptional service, but really? Is nail polish remover that bizarre a request from a traveler in a "4 star" (what does that rating mean, anyway?) hotel?
Day 2, we returned from our day at 5pm to find housekeeping making up our room (5pm), and then my husband headed down to the gym and guess what? It was closed-"closed on weekends" they told him. Aren't weekends when most people GO to the gym?!
There were other little things, like the guy who took my breakfast order and had to keep asking someone in the background if they had what I was ordering, as well as really slow Internet service.
All in all, I think the hotel needs to visit some of it's competition to see what good service involves. It's kind if like this is a basic middle of the road, touristy hotel masquerading as an upscale, luxury one. Perfectly clean and comfortable, but really not up to snuff.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank burnhamdesign
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at Le Saint Sulpice. I'm sorry to hear that our service did not meet your expectations. I thank you for detailing your requests and I hope you can contact me directly to discuss them further. We pride ourselves on our service and your detailed account of the events will enable us to correct any deficiencies.