“Beautifully designed room, excellent service”
Review of Hotel St Paul

Hotel St Paul
Ranked #32 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We felt pampered and so relaxed here. Every detail in the room was carefully designed to create a sense of spacious calm. The deep tub is big enough for two (use the shower gel for a bubble bath). A tiny box of chocolates appear on the turned-down bed each evening, along with a card noting the predicted weather and temperature for the next day. The double bed did seem a little small- wish it had been a Queen or King.

The restaurant (Hambar) next to the lobby is not operated by the hotel, but is excellent.

We will definitely return!

Room Tip: We loved being on the McGill side with a view of the historic building and clock across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Elise,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your experience at St Paul Hotel on Trip Advisor. It has been a true pleasure to read your review! Come back to see us soon!

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had picked this hotel for a one night get away to Old Montreal and considering the price we paid and the reviews we're read, we expected a very nice room and hotel, above your average room in big hotel chains.

We paid around 290$, including taxes, for a regular room. The lobby was nice, a bit too "trendy" for my taste but I've managed. The staffs were also nice, although it took them 20 minutes to find us an umbrella (you'd think they'd have them at the ready when its raining).

The weirdness started in the elevator. Im not really into dungeons or horror stuff, so the bronze sheets nailed to the wall of the very small elevators along with a deer headlamp was disturbing. It certainly clashes with the modern trendy lobby.

Then we got to our floor. Everything was dark with small purple spotlights. There were so many rooms close to each other, you start wondering how they fit. I opened the door and then understood. They're just really small. I am not kidding about this, our room was half the size of a regular Sheraton or Holiday Inn room for those who want a comparison. I wouldnt have stayed in that room for more than day. The white walls brought back unwanted souvenirs of my first appartment alongside PTSD symptons of clostrophobia.

The bathroom size was ok and it was clean. It had a big bath alongside what you'd expect in a regular hotel. Nothing very fancy here but it was ok. The bed (in size) was ok too. Again, nothing fancy or special, regular bed. The comforter and the pillows were cheap as hell, you can buy similars at Ikea. I really did miss my own comforter and pillows. Usually, from my experience, hotels have different type of pillows (firm and soft), but nothing like that here. The bed itself was not comfortable, it sagged in the middle and im only 170 pounds.

As for furniture or accessories in the room, you have a small cheap plasma TV on a very low and small table in the corner (if you laying on the bed, you're partner wont be able to see the TV, your feet will block his/her vision). You also have a glass desk (very small) on which it would be impossible to accomplish anything worth being called actual work if you're there on business. There are no other seating furniture, so forget inviting people to your room.

My biggest complaint is that the walls are so thin you can hear everything. I have a strong suspicion that they put up as many cheap walls as they could to make as many rooms as possible. (it makes senses money wise... actually, does it in the long-term?)

We didnt dine at the hotel (you're in Old Montreal... why would you) but the restaurant did look great. I guess they've invested there.

Overall, I was left with the feeling that this hotel is mostly eye-candy. They've branded their stuff alright but that does not give me more comfort. For half the prize, I would have been more comfortable at the renovated Holiday Inn Express nearby, or at Sheraton, Mariott, Best Western etc.. you name them. One of the staff told me things are expensive because its Montreal, I laughed so hard, I often travel to Vancouver and Toronto and the price is lower than that for better accomodation.

Or may be it is just me and im just more conservative and prefer hotels that provide me with bigger rooms, more comfort and classic decor. :)

Room Tip: Ask about the size. I know there must be bigger rooms... some reviews mention that Suites are better...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanuckChris

Dear CanuckChris,

First of all we would like to thank you for your review. Our customers feedback is very important to us as it helps us to improve the quality of our accommodation & service.
The design of our Hotel is very unique in Montréal and usually to the taste of our customer as you can see in the other reviews. We are the 1st Design hotel in Canada and the modern and minimalist interior is the signature of our establishment. We do promote this interior architecture throughout our official Website and the other selling channel we are using. Nevertheless, please be ensured that your review has been taken into account.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

oh, how the glory days of the St Paul are gone. I had lived in Montreal for many years and always had guests stay at the Saint Paul, so when going back to visit for a week, we booked there hoping for a 4 star stay.

Upon arrival, something was off with the hotel staff. It seemed that there were only 3 of them running the whole place, despite being fully booked. The concierge/valet seemed completely confused by the fact that he was supposed to carry our luggage and was sitting by the car making small talk about the weather while I was struggling with a suitcase. I had to ask him twice to help out to get him out of his daytime reverie.

We checked in and left the car with the valet. The room was ok, a bit bare and uninspired but with a comfy bed. In the afternoon we called to ask for the car and 15 minutes later went downstairs, where the same trio of hopeless employees kept sending us from one to the other to find where the car was at. As no one could locate the valet, 20 minutes later they just threw us our keys and told us to go look for the car ourselves in the parking lot. We walked around the block and got our car from an outdoor parking lot. This was just the beginning of a terrible stay and lack of service. At night we once again dropped car and keys with the Valet, and the following morning, we found its window smashed with a brick and everything inside stolen or vandalized. The staff at reception offered no help really, despite the fact that it's their valet who was entrusted with the car. I requested a meeting with their director, who didn't offer more help and tried convincing us that is a common occurrence in Montreal. He refused to own up to any responsibility and after a heated argument finally accepted to cancel and reimburse the rest of our stay. A small man with a big job and nearly not enough experience or knowledge what a 4star hotel should stand for. We left Montreal with a poorly taped plastic cover on the window and the intention to never stay at the St Paul again.

The glory days are long gone, and the 4 star are nothing but decoration on the door. Expect no service, no help and no dedication from this understaffed, over rated, poorly managed sad excuse of a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank global_nomad809
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear global_nomad809,

First of all we would like to thank you for your review, as it will allow us to improve the downfall of service you experienced, to our great disappointment. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding your stay at our property. Even if we strive to deliver the best in customer service experience, external factors may occur. We assure you this kind of incident involves diligent attention from the management and is a matter of constant reinforcement of our commitment to our guests.

We truly understand your vision of the incident and the emotions it brought you. Nevertheless, rest assured that we went beyond our capacities to obtain your satisfaction.

Once again, we are truly sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future and show you how your St.Paul experience may be one of a kind.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

What a great hotel ! Located in Old Montreal, the building is impressive. My wife and I have spent 3 great days in a Deluxe suite (recommended). Service was impeccable. Can't say enough of this place.

Stayed: May 2013
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Bonjour Paul RH D,

Thank you so much for your nice review about St Paul Hotel! It's a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Took advantage of a Travelzoo coupon. The hotel, location, amenities, and staff were all beyond reproach. We would recommend this hotel highly and look forward to returning. They parked our car, suggested places to eat and offered late checkout. What else could you want?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear rflett,
Thank you for your nice review. We are happy to read you were entirely satisfied with your stay at the St Paul Hotel, and that you are willing to come back. Summer season is the best period to enjoy our beautiful city, feel free to contact us directy and we will be delighted to arrange your stay!

The management.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had bought one of the romantic packages for my boyfriend as a late Valentines surprise gift and it was more then I could ask for ! The hotel is located near to old Montreal & the old port, and just steps away from the metro. So you can access downtown very easily, you can even walk but if it's in the winter I would recommend the metro. The hotel is very nice, very big, and very quiet. The front desk was more than welcoming and friendly. It was really nice to receive such a nice greeting, and were very helpful throughout our stay. Our room was very nice and big, we stayed in a penthouse room, the ceilings were nice and high, the room kind of lacked. I felt it was almost dull but the bathroom made up for it ! Huge bathroom, huge counter space with a huge mirror and the bathtub is very big and comfy! We had gone out to dinner and since we had the romantic package they set up candles around the room with a bottle of champagne. It was one of the best hotels I have stayed at in Montreal. I would definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Balaya897
MarieLoevenbruck, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear KimBalaya897,

Thanks for sharing your feedback about our property with Trip advisor travellers! We are flattered to receive such a nice review, and delighted to read that you had the perfect romantic retreat at St Paul Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Greetings readers and future travelers,

I've read a lot of reviews about this hotel and I must say, overall, this hotel was PERFECT!!! My spouse and I stayed for a weekend and we were enchanted by our choice of accomodation upon on arrival. From the check in process at the door all the way till our check out, everything was seamless. The staff at the reception are always courteous, upbeat and helpful so is the team at the restaurant. We only had breakfast the two mornings as we already had reservations for dinners elsewhere but upon our next trip, we'll try it out for sure!!!

The location of the hotel is ideal, by the waters, there's tons of restaurants, great cute little boutiques and the Notre-Dame Basilica is about no more than 10 minutes away from the hotel. There's a subway station nearby that access all of downtown so even if the weather is not great, you can guide yourself through this great underground system.

We'll be back Hotel St-Paul, you showed us that Montrealers are exactly as warm hearted as we had heard prior to our trip. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple