“good times”
Review of Hotel St Paul

Hotel St Paul
Ranked #31 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My recent stay was for 3 nights business, 1 night fun. The room was perfect, modern, clean & the bed was amazingly comfortable. Loved the location of the hotel - it was easy to explore Old Montreal & I think it only took an hour for me to walk to the Mount Royal Park. The staff was super friendly. They suggested a fabulous place for brunch (Le Cartet on McGill), helped me with my bags, and made me feel at home when I ate dinner solo on the last evening of my stay. Let's talk about the hotel restaurant - delicious! The lemon-ricotta mousse...I miss it already. And the chorizo? I must return soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank k b
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear k b,

Thanks for your kind review! It's always a pleasure having guests like you! Come back visit us soon!

The Management.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

It's too bad that most of the staff seemed to not care much about the comfort or hapiness of their visitors. Only once in our many times in and out of the hotel, did I see someone from the hotel helping visitors with their bags. Another visitor had to open the doors and short of help us in with our luggage. Boo. I say the servuce is a shame, because the rooms were really nice with a comfortable bed, although, the safe was broken. The one thing that keeps me from wanting to go back though, is that the cleaning crew were laughing and talking very loudly early in the morning and after my husband asked them to please not shout so much, the made even more noise. The girls at the desk wasn't too terribly concerned. Okay, but there are much better hotels for the money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Rachel T,
We would like to thank you for having taken time to share your feedback with the Tripadvisor travellers.
We are sorry our service wasn’t to your satisfaction, as it is in our standards to provide every of our guest with an experience above expectation. Your review has been forwarded to the concerned heads of departments who will take the appropriate measures to make sure those downfall in the service are rectified. We are all the same pleased that you have been able to enjoy our rooms.
If you would like to consider our establishment for another try, then do not hesistate to contact us.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I spent 4 nights in a superior room on the 7th floor and loved it. Walking in, you put your keycard in a switchbox on the wall and all the lights come on, including a lighted crystal rock in the bedroom the size of a small side table. I immediately heard the faint sounds of classical music and was bummed I could hear noise from another room until I realised it was from the small stereo sitting by the window.

There is a separate desk area between the bedroom and bathroom which gives a roomier feel. This was a central area for me to connect with free wi-fi and flip through the reading material of things to do and eat! In this same area is a wall of closet doors with a light that came on when opened. The right side of doors had lots of wood hangers, a built-in set of drawers that were low enough for me to hoist my rollerbag onto, and an iron and ironing board. On the left was the minibar fridge that luckily isn't sensored so you can use it for the cheeses and wine you bring back! However the area seemed a bit hot so you probably wouldn't want your wine to sit on top too long.

The bathroom had everything you could need. Robes hanging behind the door, toiletries and glasses under a clear box (while others make fun of it I like the idea of keeping these items protected from the elements!), lots of towels, and a fluffy bath mat rolled up under the sink (careful since it doesn't have any grip on the bottom), and a hair dryer. The bath/shower is substantial with an adjustable shower head.

The bedroom area has dark hardwood floor, lots of nice lighting, a chair and stereo by the window, full size mirror, and TV. The queen sized bed was very comfortable and don't recall any noise disturbing my sleep.

There is a restaurant called Hambar off the lobby which will also deliver to your room. The hotel is in Old Montreal, which is a nice area to walk around and to get away from the rest of the city. The ATM is a few blocks away near the closest Metro.

But the one thing which stood out the most? The staff. From the guys at the front door, the cheery housekeeping, to the helpfulness at the front desk, including the wonderful gentleman who arranged a seat at the bar for me at a hot restaurant which normally required reservations a month out. It was the most amazing meal and unfortunately I didn't see him again to thank him. Someone tell him I love him!

I recommend staying here.

Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Hamachi_9

Dear Hamachi_9,
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are honoured to hear that our staff was helpful and accommodating during your recent stay with us, and that the hotel met your expectations. We have relayed your compliments to the front desk, housekeeping and Hambar team.

Come see us again soon!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Great renovated period build boutique hotel with some nice touches!

Rooms are are not huge but have everything you need, comfy bed, good quality furniture and fixings. Very clean and good shower too!

Bar at corner of hotel is very cool and very busy if a little pricey, all in a great stay, highly recommended!

Room Tip: Little bit of corridor noise, pick a room away from the lift.
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having stayed at the Hotel St Paul when we got married 6 years ago, we were keen to return with our daughter on our recent trip to Montreal. We stayed for nine nights and were very happy! The hotel is very trendy in it's design and the room was spacious, clean and had very comfortable beds. The bathroom was large and had lovely amenities. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard every day and the nightly turn down service with chocolates was exactly what you would expect from a four star hotel.

Breakfast was lovely. Cold meats, cheeses, yoghurt, pastries and fresh fruit however one very small comment I would make is that the selection should probably be varied a bit as it was the same for all nine days we were there.

The location of the hotel is very good. Close to both the business district and the old town and about a 5 minute walk from the underground station.

What really makes this hotel special are the exceptional staff. The doormen are fantastic! Friendly and helpful and give you a lovely warm welcome every time you enter the hotel. The staff at breakfast are amazing and pay such attention to detail about your every request. Overall we were made to feel very welcome and special and we will certainly return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank globalgirlLondon
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear GlobalgirlLondon,
What a pleasure to read you experienced the perfect stay at St Paul Hotel! Your kind coments will be forwarded to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you again in Montreal!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Hotel St. Paul. This hotel is over priced for what you get. Our room was small, the bed was not comfortable and no staff came to clean the room during our stay. The bathroom was not nice at all. We were promised coupons for their sweet deal package we purchased and never received the coupons. The hardwood was very dusty. The hallways are dimly lit. Breakfast is not included in the price. Overall the service was great. The location was perfect. With the amount we paid for our stay we expected something that was very clean and luxurious for the price we were paying and because of its rating with others on trip advisor. I think that if we decide to come back to Montreal we will most likely book with a different hotel that offers better amenities for the same price.

2  Thank M J
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear M J,
Thank you for your review, it will allow us to improve the downfall of service you met, to our great dissappointment. We have forwarded your review to the different managers of every department involved with the issue you are mentioning to ensure that this sort of guest experience does not reoccur. The standards of our hotel have always been very high and our goal is to satisfy 100% of our hotel guests with genuine hospitality and the team that we’ve assembled at the St.Paul to provide that brand of service is very attentive, courteous and professional. If you would like to reconsider a future stay at our hotel, please contact us directly, we would be happy to arrange your stay with the perfect attention & care you deserve.

The Management

Reviewed September 19, 2012

It's a great location in the Old City and the room is very comfortable. My only complaint, and that of my friends in adjacent rooms, was the extra charge for Wi-Fi. Given the cost of the room, we all thought it should be included gratis. The front desk staff initially seemed unable to address the complaint and suggested I email the hotel manager to express my concerns. I did so upon my return, but never heard back.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NYCWGV
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear NYCWGV
Thank you for sharing your experience at St Paul Hotel on Trip Advisor! We are thrilled to read that you had a nice stay with us. Improving our service has always been very important to us and we are happy to announce that since August 22nd, wifi is complimentary at the Hotel!
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

The Management