“Loved it”

Ranked #32 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Texas
“Loved it”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I spent 4 nights in a superior room on the 7th floor and loved it. Walking in, you put your keycard in a switchbox on the wall and all the lights come on, including a lighted crystal rock in the bedroom the size of a small side table. I immediately heard the faint sounds of classical music and was bummed I could hear noise from another room until I realised it was from the small stereo sitting by the window.

There is a separate desk area between the bedroom and bathroom which gives a roomier feel. This was a central area for me to connect with free wi-fi and flip through the reading material of things to do and eat! In this same area is a wall of closet doors with a light that came on when opened. The right side of doors had lots of wood hangers, a built-in set of drawers that were low enough for me to hoist my rollerbag onto, and an iron and ironing board. On the left was the minibar fridge that luckily isn't sensored so you can use it for the cheeses and wine you bring back! However the area seemed a bit hot so you probably wouldn't want your wine to sit on top too long.

The bathroom had everything you could need. Robes hanging behind the door, toiletries and glasses under a clear box (while others make fun of it I like the idea of keeping these items protected from the elements!), lots of towels, and a fluffy bath mat rolled up under the sink (careful since it doesn't have any grip on the bottom), and a hair dryer. The bath/shower is substantial with an adjustable shower head.

The bedroom area has dark hardwood floor, lots of nice lighting, a chair and stereo by the window, full size mirror, and TV. The queen sized bed was very comfortable and don't recall any noise disturbing my sleep.

There is a restaurant called Hambar off the lobby which will also deliver to your room. The hotel is in Old Montreal, which is a nice area to walk around and to get away from the rest of the city. The ATM is a few blocks away near the closest Metro.

But the one thing which stood out the most? The staff. From the guys at the front door, the cheery housekeeping, to the helpfulness at the front desk, including the wonderful gentleman who arranged a seat at the bar for me at a hot restaurant which normally required reservations a month out. It was the most amazing meal and unfortunately I didn't see him again to thank him. Someone tell him I love him!

I recommend staying here.

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Hamachi_9
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Hamachi_9,
Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are honoured to hear that our staff was helpful and accommodating during your recent stay with us, and that the hotel met your expectations. We have relayed your compliments to the front desk, housekeeping and Hambar team.

Come see us again soon!

The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Great renovated period build boutique hotel with some nice touches!

Rooms are are not huge but have everything you need, comfy bed, good quality furniture and fixings. Very clean and good shower too!

Bar at corner of hotel is very cool and very busy if a little pricey, all in a great stay, highly recommended!

Room Tip: Little bit of corridor noise, pick a room away from the lift.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having stayed at the Hotel St Paul when we got married 6 years ago, we were keen to return with our daughter on our recent trip to Montreal. We stayed for nine nights and were very happy! The hotel is very trendy in it's design and the room was spacious, clean and had very comfortable beds. The bathroom was large and had lovely amenities. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard every day and the nightly turn down service with chocolates was exactly what you would expect from a four star hotel.

Breakfast was lovely. Cold meats, cheeses, yoghurt, pastries and fresh fruit however one very small comment I would make is that the selection should probably be varied a bit as it was the same for all nine days we were there.

The location of the hotel is very good. Close to both the business district and the old town and about a 5 minute walk from the underground station.

What really makes this hotel special are the exceptional staff. The doormen are fantastic! Friendly and helpful and give you a lovely warm welcome every time you enter the hotel. The staff at breakfast are amazing and pay such attention to detail about your every request. Overall we were made to feel very welcome and special and we will certainly return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank globalgirlLondon
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear GlobalgirlLondon,
What a pleasure to read you experienced the perfect stay at St Paul Hotel! Your kind coments will be forwarded to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you again in Montreal!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at Hotel St. Paul. This hotel is over priced for what you get. Our room was small, the bed was not comfortable and no staff came to clean the room during our stay. The bathroom was not nice at all. We were promised coupons for their sweet deal package we purchased and never received the coupons. The hardwood was very dusty. The hallways are dimly lit. Breakfast is not included in the price. Overall the service was great. The location was perfect. With the amount we paid for our stay we expected something that was very clean and luxurious for the price we were paying and because of its rating with others on trip advisor. I think that if we decide to come back to Montreal we will most likely book with a different hotel that offers better amenities for the same price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M J
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear M J,
Thank you for your review, it will allow us to improve the downfall of service you met, to our great dissappointment. We have forwarded your review to the different managers of every department involved with the issue you are mentioning to ensure that this sort of guest experience does not reoccur. The standards of our hotel have always been very high and our goal is to satisfy 100% of our hotel guests with genuine hospitality and the team that we’ve assembled at the St.Paul to provide that brand of service is very attentive, courteous and professional. If you would like to reconsider a future stay at our hotel, please contact us directly, we would be happy to arrange your stay with the perfect attention & care you deserve.

The Management
New York City
Reviewed September 19, 2012

It's a great location in the Old City and the room is very comfortable. My only complaint, and that of my friends in adjacent rooms, was the extra charge for Wi-Fi. Given the cost of the room, we all thought it should be included gratis. The front desk staff initially seemed unable to address the complaint and suggested I email the hotel manager to express my concerns. I did so upon my return, but never heard back.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NYCWGV
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear NYCWGV
Thank you for sharing your experience at St Paul Hotel on Trip Advisor! We are thrilled to read that you had a nice stay with us. Improving our service has always been very important to us and we are happy to announce that since August 22nd, wifi is complimentary at the Hotel!
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

The Management
Paris, France
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Hotel won 2012 award of traveler's choice on trip advisor. In one word I think NOT. Hotel is over priced for what you get. Rooms are small, beds are extremely small and not very comfortable. The hotel is nicely located but not that central. The service was excellent! Staff are friendly and helpful. The room was very clean when we arrived but was cleaned poorly the days after. The bathroom is very nice and spacious but there is only bathtub with shower head (no shower hose- we were traveling with our baby so not very comfortable to wash her).
I was very disappointed because I was expecting fancy and luxury for the price I was paying and because of it's rating. The rooms are simple and minimal. Only a coffee making possibility in room, no tea option.
The first room we got was not nice, I asked to be changed and got a better room, but again not worth the price.
I am sorry but next time I'm in Montreal I will book a different hotel that offers better amenities for the same price.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank E1978
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear E1978,
We are sorry to read our service and accommodation did not meet your expectations. Your comments are important to us - they allow us to review our operations constantly. Please note your review has been forwarded to the departments involved.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Hotel St. Paul has continually demonstrated outstanding customer service - which is why I always stay there. This morning I checked out of the hotel and left my iPad in the room. I was unable to return to the hotel to retrieve it. The people at the hotel went above and beyond in delivering it to my business associate who was in a meeting downtown within 30 minutes to ensure it would make it on the flight for my return.

I highly recommend this hotel - due to it's location, rooms and most of all, it's wonderful people.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Pat J,
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We at St Paul Hotel are always happy when our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon. The Management.