“The Hotel is certainly cool enough, perhaps I'm not a good fit for it”
Review of Hotel St Paul

Hotel St Paul
Ranked #33 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I chose the Hotel St. Paul as the usual places I stay for business in Montréal were full. I found it OK and can only describe it my not meshing with the whole feel of the place.

The decor was minimalist chic and I'm generally OK with that. For example I generally enjoy the Aloft by Trudeau airport. Perhaps it's a series of disappointments that have predisposed me negatively. These are, a lack of parking other than valet, unexpectedly having to pay for Internet access and not having breakfast included. The last two could be my own fault but were a negative surprise nonetheless.

Otherwise, as many other reviewers have mentioned the decor is minimalist chic with some funky elements like the slanted floor mirror and the fuzzy White chair. The chocolate in the room is a nice touch, and the pillar in the room makes it distictive. All the appointments to the room seem fine, it was actually nice to see that there's an umbrella hanging in the closest (behind the tinsy winsy ironing board).

The toiletries are fine but their presentation seems somewhat ostentatious/affected being covered by a clear acrylic box. I never did figure out what to do with the box besides set it somewhere out of the way. It was nice having a robe to use in the room and it's cute the way they arrange two robes in the bathroom. One bathroom bugaboo, there doesn't seem to be anyplace to hang hand towels.

The desk is waaay too small. It's more reminiscent of a shelf than a desk. I put the phone on the floor to make room for a mouse pad. And there's the annoying crawling under to get to a power outlet thing. Also, it's always annoying having to pay extra for Internet access.

There's a flat screen TV but, as usual, only analog cable. I don't remember if there was a fitness center or a business center, can't remember signage and certainly didn't go looking for it.

I never did get a chance to to enjoy the part of town that the Hotel is in, perhaps that would have improved my overall mood. Still, for my next business trip to Montréal I'll revert to one of my usual hotels.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Dear Olde_BiL,
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your experience with us did not meet your entire satisfaction. The hotel has its own parking ($) and is always available with valet service. Old Montreal is an area where it is very expensive and often difficult to find a parking spot. This is why we are glad to provide this service to our guests with a Valet. Indeed, Internet and Breakfast are not included in our rates and it is mentioned on every website, channel, phone, email that our guests may possibly use to get information about us.
We are very glad that you liked our minimalist and chic interior architecture and let me take the opportunity to inform you that the Hotel St Paul has been the first Design Hotel in Canada. However, rest assured that everything that hasn’t been practical and convenient in your experience will be taken into account.
There is indeed a Fitness Center and a Business Center and we will definitely improve the way we are signalling them to our guests.
Please, if you would like to give us another try, do not hesitate to contact us.
Yours sincerely,
The Management.
amarande@hotelstpaul.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel was billed as a charming old hotel in Old Montreal. In fact the facade was old but the interior was all modernized and cold. The staff were bell staff were accommodating but the host and front desk folks were not so friendly. Any questions seemed to be an imposition. The room was technologically up to date which required your room key in a slot to turn on the lights. The bed was uncomfortable and had a huge bolster across the headboard. The room was small.
The restaurant was empty yet still required a reservation. The food was just fair. I asked the wait person for a carafe of ice water and was instead brought a Bottle of chilled French Spring Water. Although I id not wish to buy water I was charged $10 for it. It also made me ill and cost me a trip to the emergency room at our next destination.
When we left the restaurant for a brief walk along the street, it was evident that not everyone was at the U2 concert as we were told when asked why the restaurant was not busy on a Friday night. All the other restaurant s on the street were packed. Overall I would not recommend this hotel.

4  Thank Robertrmpls
HotelStPaul, Manager at Hotel St Paul, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2011

Dear Robertrmpls,

Thank you for your review as it will allow us to improve the service downfalls you met, to our great disappointment. The design of our Hotel is very unique in Montréal and usually to the taste of our customers as you can see in the other reviews. We are the 1st Design hotel in Canada and the modern and minimalist interior is the signature of our establishment. We do promote this interior architecture throughout our official Website and the other selling channels we are using.
We have forwarded your review to the different managers of every department involved with the issues you mentioned in order to ensure that this sort of guest experience does not reoccur. The standards of our hotel have always been very high and our goal is to 100% satisfy all of our hotel guests with genuine hospitality. The team that we’ve assembled at the St.Paul is dedicated to provide that brand of service as attentive, courteous and professional.
The Restaurant Vauvert, which is owned independently from the Hotel St Paul, is usually very appreciated by our clientele as well as from walk-in guests. It has received many rewards and often mentioned as one of Montreal’s favourite restaurants. Nevertheless, please be assured that your review has been transmitted as well.

If you would like to reconsider a future stay at our hotel, please contact us.
Respectfully,
The Management
amarande@hotelstpaul.com

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Ideal location, the sweetest most helpful staff, delicious breakfast, really happening bar and super comfy rooms, we loved our stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Elegant design hotel. Comfortable rooms, large bathroom, not much traffic noise. Relatively friendly service. Wonderful location in Vieux Montreal, in the corner of the Paul Street (full of little galleries & restaurants), and McGill, near the attractions of the quays of the Old Port http://www.quaysoftheoldport.com/home.html. Stroll on the riverside, enjoy a sumptuous lobster roll (in the summertime) on the terrace of the Muvbox on the river, just down the road. Several interesting bars and breakfast cafés close by at McGill. Did not try the Bota Bota spa close by on the river - because of our schedule - but were very tempted indeed!

Reviewed July 14, 2011

This was my very first trip to Canada. We are new yorkers and I have a tough time finding hotels to meet my own criteria. This hotel was awesome from the moment we got there. It was very cool and hip but had zero attitude. The staff went above and beyond to guide us to great local restaurants and sights. The rooms were very clean and very well designed. It was just perfect.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

My experience with St. Paul's hotel was above my expectations. Their attention and patience was really appreciated when booking our business conference.
I had the pleasure of having Eric as our point of contact and really appreciated his level of customer service when trying to book our arrangements for our group.
I would definitely keep St. Paul's in mind when booking our next business function in Montreal.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2011

If you want to be walking distance to basically all cultural attractions, shops, art galleries, and good bistros within old Montreal, THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY. Altough it is not a 5 star, it is faboulous! Nice size rooms, bathtub in bathroom, good bedding, HD TV, good service and also a free business internet service. Restaurant and bar with a great young crowd, cusine is VERY GOOD. A bit pricey but perfect considering location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends