“Delicious and fun atmosphere”
Review of Arepera

Arepera
Ranked #14 of 5,976 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Caribbean, Venezuelan
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: Venezuelan's food restaurant
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

We came here because the bread is gluten free and we heard good things, and arepera exceeded expectations. If you're GF, this is a great option and the menu states that everything is okay except the chorizo.

The ambience is fun - small restaurant, friendly waitstaff and very good food. The neighborhood is eclectic - a bit of a walk from a metro station but worth it.

We ordered the cassava chips, the fried plantains, and an arepa each. Husband got the #1 with black beans, pork and plantains. I got #12, ground beef, peppers and onions. Both were excellent and we got out of there for under $30 (drank water, which is already on your table). They give you two sauces, one is a cool lime/cilantro flavor with avocado; the other is a spicy sauce. They're both excellent.

Highly recommend.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a nice dinner after walking to this restaurant. Not many tables and most of them were occupied. Dinner was tasty but left me still hungry after touring all day so had some dessert which was just right. No alcohol was available but they had interesting juices. Would go back.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I loved my first meal so much, I came back the next day! The reina pepiada (chicken with creamed avocado) sounds simple but it was delicious. I preferred it to the pabellon I got later, which had a salty-sweet combo that didn't quite mesh for me, but was perfect for a park picnic. The arepa corncakes are amazing, fluffy but still crispy and char-grilled. Not too heavy on the stomach though, and better than any arepas we can get in or around New York!

My only gripe: when there is a line at the door, putting your name down at the sign-up sheet by the front door is pointless. The evening the two of us went, the waitress ignored it and sat people based on who approached her first. She even told us she knew about it! This confusion could have been solved by not putting a sign-up sheet in the first place!

All in all, it was the best meal we had in Canada.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

OK, before I even start with the review, lets just make this clear: this place is worth trying just for the Plantains with Feta cheese. Oh. My. God.

I digress.

The food was amazing. The atmosphere was fun and welcoming. The staff was friendly and well-equipped with a cool smart-phone ordering system.

I was a little surprised none of the dishes were spicy. However, they arm you with a large bottle of some amazingly tasty hot-sauce, which I covered everything in.

Overall, a really fun and low-key date spot. Loved it and my Arepa was fantastic.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Really recommend this to anyone I Montreal. The food is very good and well priced. It's off Saint Denis street which is a great street with lots of dining and things going on. I had la arepa pabellon and it was amazing. It's a small place but that's what made it cozy and charming.