“Good Over-all Experience Despite Disappointing Dinner”

Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau
Ranked #2 of 93 Spas & Wellness in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Step onboard into a universe awash with astounding contrasts. In an invented space, between two water worlds... float away.Anchored at the Old Port of Montreal, Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau offers passengers the healing benefits of a spa coupled with the natural lulling movements of the St Lawrence River. Surrounded by enchanting decor, with Old Montreal as a magical backdrop, this mysterious and innovative floating spa offers privileged proximity to the river while enjoying the relaxing and energizing merits of the water circuit.Bota Bota is comprised of five decks on which you will find the various spa installations: two saunas with incredible views of the river and the Old Port, a eucalyptus steam bath, outdoor whirlpool baths, cold showers and baths, relaxation areas, restaurant, terraces and garden.Over and above its breathtaking Montreal location, this unique spa offers prolonged well-being to its passengers through massage therapy, body treatments, facial treatments, manicures and pedicures, as well as yoga and meditation.You can also delight your taste buds at the restaurant operated by Auberge sur la Route, with Michelin-starred chef Eric Gonzalez at its helm. Affiliated with the reputed Auberge St-Gabriel, Auberge sur la Route allows passengers to complement their experience with a fresh and simple menu, both original and comforting, for a serene healing of body and mind.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was my second visit to Bota Bota, spa-sur-l’eau. I enjoyed it so much the first time, that I chose to take my mother here for her birthday where we spend the entire day.

My mom had a facial & massage and I had an exfoliation (honey & sugar scrub) treatment. We were both very satisfied with these services & I was pleased that the massage therapist for my mom, was particularly sensitive & attentive to all her special needs.

Lunch was totally delightful! We remained in our comfy robes while we ate on their pretty outdoor terrace overlooking the St Lawrence River. I had the “Salmon Tartare in the Spirit of a Guacamole with Tomatoes, Coriander, and Lemon” & my mom had the “Pesto Spread Tomatoes Mozzarella Basil Green Salad.” Both meals were superb & if you like sushi, I would highly recommend the salmon tartare which was fresh, tender & tasty.

For the remainder of the day, we relaxed on the upper deck where I sporadically used the water circuit (whirlpool, steam room, sauna & cold tub). The only thing that was a little bothersome, was a staff member who kept coming over to shush people who were in the whirlpool facing Cité du Havre. There was an indoor sign which advised clients to remain silent, but I didn’t recall seeing any visible signage outside, which is why people assumed they could talk. Of course once you get a bunch of people in a whirlpool or jacuzzi, they usually converse. A simple solution would have been to place a similar sign outdoors.

Nevertheless, we really enjoyed everything about our day - that is until dinner. This was a shame since it put a bit of a damper on an otherwise excellent day. We could have gone to one of the many exceptional restaurants in Old Montreal, but chose to dine at Bota Bota. It appeared that the waitress, who took our order was at the end of her shift (not our fault) & seemed almost agitated to serve us. In addition, she didn’t (or refused) to speak English, which only exacerbated the situation. In this regard, I used to work in the service industry and always spoke in the language of the client’s preference (be it French or English). It’s not only good business, but is respectful to that client. Nevertheless, I think that it was more the negative attitude of the waitress which put us off, especially since we chose to eat at Bota Bota versus anywhere else in the area. Having already spent a considerable amount there, we felt somewhat slighted to be treated in such a manner. To add insult to injury, the food for both of us, wasn’t remotely as good as what we had for lunch. My mom had the “Bagna Bread Tuna Roasted Peppers Olives Tomatoes Green Salad” & I had the “Lemon Chicken Breast Herbs Bulgur Carrots Honey and Mustard Sauce” which was extremely dry & tasteless.

I will conclude by saying that even though the end of our day was a little disappointing, the majority of the time we spent there was wonderful. This is something which we could not overlook and in the the end, I would still recommend Bota Bota for a relaxing get-away.

Genevieve E, Directeur général at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear CanadaPipa,
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit at Bota Bota. I am happy you have enjoyed both your visits at Bota Bota.

New silence reminder signs are currently in production, but we know from experience that they are not sufficient. Unfortunately, we do have to constantly remind somme passengers to remain silent in silent areas.

As for the restaurant experience, I am really disappointed to hear your review. We usually have excellent reviews on the service and food at the restaurant, but your comments have been forwarded to our catorer. The menu and some of the staff members have been changed since your last visit, so we hope you will give our restaurant another try.

I hope you will be visiting us again soon, Spring and summer bring a completely different vibe at Bota Bota !

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I loved the experience. Employees are sweet, make you feel great. The view is outstanding. The rates, especially on Tuesdays, are affordable. Great snack onboard. Love the ideau of creating a spa on a boat. Enjoyed every second of it!

1  Thank Lucie0204
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a romantic getaway to montreal and we soent 3 hours at botabota spa since it is close toold montreal. It turned out so relaxing and fun!!
They have 2 hot tub outside(really good view of river and old montreal).2 cold tub. 2 sauna 1 steam room. Many space to relax!
Enough locker space as well.
Wish we were there on tue. Day as the current promotion is 2 people gor unlimited time for $60what a great deal :-)
We were there at 10am for 3 hours on a weekday for 30cdn :-) and didnt feel crowded at all. If we go back to montreal will go there agsin.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful view of the city and the stars in the outdoor baths. The sauna and steam room were top notch, and most importantly the cool bath was COLD! The swing chairs were great after. Only drawback was the somewhat cramped locker room.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was one of the best spas I have been too. I loved the water circuit and if i was in town any longer I would have gone again. I was able to be in the hot tub outside while it was snowing and loved the experience. This is not a spa focused on nice smells and calming noises and minty lotions. It is more focused on serene and pure relaxation with great views and amazing facilities. Truly memorable experience.

1  Thank kmerrill80
Genevieve E, General Manager at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear kmerrill80 !

I would like to thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to share your experience with others. You have thouroughly understood and embraced the whole concept of Bota Bota, and we are happy you have enjoyed your experience.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you on board again in a near future,