“Heaven on Water”

Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau
Ranked #1 of 84 Spas & Wellness in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Step onboard into a universe awash with astounding contrasts. In an invented space, between two water worlds... float away.Anchored at the Old Port of Montreal, Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau offers passengers the healing benefits of a spa coupled with the natural lulling movements of the St Lawrence River. Surrounded by enchanting decor, with Old Montreal as a magical backdrop, this mysterious and innovative floating spa offers privileged proximity to the river while enjoying the relaxing and energizing merits of the water circuit.Bota Bota is comprised of five decks on which you will find the various spa installations: two saunas with incredible views of the river and the Old Port, a eucalyptus steam bath, outdoor whirlpool baths, cold showers and baths, relaxation areas, restaurant, terraces and garden.Over and above its breathtaking Montreal location, this unique spa offers prolonged well-being to its passengers through massage therapy, body treatments, facial treatments, manicures and pedicures, as well as yoga and meditation.You can also delight your taste buds at the restaurant operated by Auberge sur la Route, with Michelin-starred chef Eric Gonzalez at its helm. Affiliated with the reputed Auberge St-Gabriel, Auberge sur la Route allows passengers to complement their experience with a fresh and simple menu, both original and comforting, for a serene healing of body and mind.
NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Heaven on Water”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I recently discovered heaven on water in Montreal. If you want some real R&R and little bit of nosh then make your way to Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau. Floating comfortably on the St. Lawrence River in the Old Port of Montreal, this world's first spa-on-a-boat creates another world for you to escape.

This 25,000 square feet, 1950s steel liner has five decks for you to experience:

- Sundeck - sauna, pool & hot tub with beautiful views
- Bridge Walk - sauna, steam room & hot tub
- Intermediate Bridge - Media room, cool ship windows for lounging & yoga area
- Main Deck - treatment rooms, restaurant & Bota Chic
- Cale - former engine room is now the locker room

I was planning on eating somewhere nearby Old Montreal because I did not have high expectations for spa food. I was so wrong! The Restaurant Bota Bota is operated by Auberge sur la Route and is phenomenal. I guess it should be with Michelin starred chef Eric Gonzalez. This was the perfect compliment to all of my pampering.

The water circuit is so relaxing. My massage was seriously the best I ever had! I can not wait to go back to my little piece of heaven on water!

Visited September 2012
Genevieve E, Owner at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Gourmand Girls !

Thanks you very much for your review of our spa, and the complete overview of our installations ! We are looking forward to have you on board again.

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Poor value for the money”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Facilities are very interesting from the outside, however once inside it doesn't quite feel like an environment in which you can relax.

There are people ALL OVER the place, the facilities look kind of old even though it's only been there for a few years but by far the biggest dissapointement were the showers and changing rooms: tiny, dark, over crowded and i'm sorry to use the word cheap.

For a 175$ per person experience I would have expected a lot more. Given the amount of spa in and around Montreal I will not go back to this place.

(yes the views of the city at night are very nice but you'll get the same views for free by doing pedal boat at Parc Bonsecours:)

Visited June 2012
2 Thank ATCLG
Dear ATCLG,
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I understand you were at Bota Bota on a very busy day, which are tipically on Tuesdays (because of the special price) as well as saturdays. Other than those days, the spa is very calm. The changing rooms are in the hull of the ship, they are small, but as convenient as they could be. We have invested a lot of effort in the construction, and I am disappointed you feel they are cheap.
Also, the 175$ per person price tag leaves me to believe each of you had more than one treatment, or had a significant meal at our restaurant, I hope you have enjoyed them.
I'm sorry to read you will not be coming back, but I am confident you will find another spa that suits your preferences better.
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Mother, daughter outing”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Original and so Montreal. Brilliantly appointed, docked in the Old Port with stunning views, we had a variety of treatments to choose from and to just relax. Great for mother-daughter, and girls' events but could be a good couples outing as well.

Visited August 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“English customers not addressed in English”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My experience was totally ruined at reception when the 2 clerks kept ignoring the fact that both my friend and I were speaking English and they only responded to us in French! As a Montreal Anglophone this was embarrassing and humiliating especially since my friend had just arrived from Calgary and this was her first outing since landing here last night . I will now seek English speaking services when I book for anything. My money is hard earned and it is bilingual. Respect me as an English patron if you want my business. Remember our tourists are not all French speaking!

2 Thank CraftyDom
Genevieve E, Propriétaire at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear CraftyDom,

First, thank you for your comment, and for raising a very important issue. I am extremely surprised by your comment as all our staff is fluent in both French and English. I would like you to send me your name and e-mail at the adress "info@botabota.ca" or by calling Bota Bota and asking for Geneviève so I can follow up with the person who could would not adress you in English (Also, knowing if it was at check in or checkout would help).

You are absolutely right in saying we should provide service in english and not only in french, almost 40% of our clientele is actually english speaking (or at least non-francophone), and we truly want to service our local and touristic clientele in the language of their preference.

I hope the rest of your stay met your expectations,
Geneviève.
Ottawa, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fabulous massage, lukewarm service”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Beautiful setting in the Old Montreal. Neat concept to have a spa in a boat. The people who work there don't come across as friendly nor caring. That takes away the 'pampered' feeling one should have in a good spa. BUT Marc gave me an awesome massage so he made it worthwhile. If you don't buy the 'water circuit' package (it was raining when I went so I didn't go for it because some of the stuff is outside), you won't have a lounge area inside to relax after your treatment unless you sit in the restaurant and buy something. I would have liked a quiet place where I can just crash comfortably and recuperate before going out again. I will probably go back but only on a sunny day and if Marc is there. Note: the bathrobe and towel are a little rough but at least they offer them.