“A great escape!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau

Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau
Ranked #2 of 79 Spas & Wellness in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: Step onboard into a universe awash with astounding contrasts. In an invented space, between two water worlds... float away.Anchored at the Old Port of Montreal, Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau offers passengers the healing benefits of a spa coupled with the natural lulling movements of the St Lawrence River. Surrounded by enchanting decor, with Old Montreal as a magical backdrop, this mysterious and innovative floating spa offers privileged proximity to the river while enjoying the relaxing and energizing merits of the water circuit.Bota Bota is comprised of five decks on which you will find the various spa installations: two saunas with incredible views of the river and the Old Port, a eucalyptus steam bath, outdoor whirlpool baths, cold showers and baths, relaxation areas, restaurant, terraces and garden.Over and above its breathtaking Montreal location, this unique spa offers prolonged well-being to its passengers through massage therapy, body treatments, facial treatments, manicures and pedicures, as well as yoga and meditation.You can also delight your taste buds at the restaurant operated by Auberge sur la Route, with Michelin-starred chef Eric Gonzalez at its helm. Affiliated with the reputed Auberge St-Gabriel, Auberge sur la Route allows passengers to complement their experience with a fresh and simple menu, both original and comforting, for a serene healing of body and mind.
Canada
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A great escape!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

There are many reasons to love Montreal in the summer and BOTA BOTA Spa-Sur-L’eau, is one of them. This floating spa is uniquely located on the St. Lawrence River in the Old Port just facing Old Montreal. I went there for an overdue (90 minute) massage as well as to experience the water circuit, a compulsory feature which is accompanied with all massages at an additional fee.
The indoor massage rooms were all booked so I had my massage in a cabana close to the main facility. I wasn’t sure what to expect (because it initially looked a little primitive), but in the end, I appreciated being outside. The sides of the tent were opened during the massage which allowed a pleasant breeze from the river to sweep through the cabana. Sounds of water falls near by and boats in the distance only added to the relaxation and unique atmosphere.

The massage was great, but access to the water circuit and the outdoor terraces were a special treat. There are a number of places in the city that provide good massage therapy treatments, but none offer an environment quite like this one.

I relaxed in an outdoor jacuzzi where I had a nice view of Old Montreal & the Old Port. Later on I tried another jacuzzi where I had a different view of the St. Lawrence, the renowned Habitat 67 & Cité du Havre. The next thing I did was use the steam room and sauna followed by an invigorating dip in a cold water tub located on one of the decks. The atmosphere was soooooo relaxed. It was a beautiful sunny day and people were either snoozing, sunbathing or reading on the various lounge chairs located on the two leveled outdoor terraces. Even though it was a gorgeous day, the spa was surprisingly not over crowded. This may be because I was there on a weekday versus the week-end.

The decor of the indoor bistro & adjoining outdoor terrace made it look like an inviting place to eat. It is chic, sophisticated and romantic. I didn’t have time to try the food, but the presentation & the way people enjoyed their meals made everything look so appetizing.

This experience felt like a week’s vacation in just one afternoon and the best part was that I didn’t have to leave the city premises. After taxes and tips, everything came to a bit over $200.00. It is more than what I’m used to spending for a massage, however, this also included the water circuit; it was all well worth the splurge!! If you’re on a budget and only want a massage then you can always go elsewhere, but if you want a nice escape and experience something really special, then go to BOTA BOTA.

1 Thank CanadaPipa1
BotaBota, Propriétaire at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Hello !
Thank you for your kind review. You now are a "water circuit pro" ! I believe you are ready for a Bota Bota winter experience now !
Looking forward to having you onboard again in a new future !

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Wish it Were Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

I have rather mixed feeling about the execution of hospitality at this establishment. The concept is great and the interior is very pretty. However, there are some fundamental flaws in the process that are inhospitable. First the front desk requires a picture ID to be left behind while using the facilities. In my estimation, this is rather tacky. Do you really expect people to run away with your robe and towel? Next, the spa does not provide sandals like any other one in the area-you have to buy them.

Once you are ready for a treatment, you have to register with a desk attendant, Everyone gets a drink upon registering but I am never asked. Upon completion of the treatment and exiting the treatment area, you get a survey immediately with a tip form (again, poor taste right after you come relaxed from a massage).

Finally, the (men’s) locker room has no amenities. The shower soaps are unmarked; there is one tall bottle of hand crème that is 98% used up and nothing else. The locker room is unappealing like a standard gym locker room. There is a lot of dust on the far corners of the floor.

Unfortunately, I lost the sense of charm and warmth that other spas in the area have. I tried, but I will not be back.

5 Thank Cyberworld Toronto
Hello,
Thank you for your review and comments!
Here are our response to the few things you pointed out:
- Yes, it did happen that people left without paying. Not with the towel and robe, but came upstairs from the locker room and straight through the door. So because of those isolated case, we do require our passengers to leave some ID at the reception desk.
- Since we are on a ship, with limited space, it would be very difficult for us to provide sandals, as we would need to store and wash them. On a busy day, we can have up to 250 passengers onboard. That's a whole lot of sandals to manage, as you can imagine! ;-) So we do sell some at a very reasonable price for those who forgot to bring their own.
- When you exit your treatment, it is not a survey we ask you to fill out, but an appreciation questionnaire, with 3 short questions. This is to ensure our passengers' expectations are fulfilled.
- As for the locker rooms, we appreciate your comment and will make sure this is taken care of.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback!
Montreal, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great location but too crowdy and very noisy!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

The concept is great, trendy, well located. We have been to several SPA and were very excited to try this one however.... they allow too many guests on site and it's like a playground...people are running up and down and it's very noisy (to the point that it's very annoying). It seems that this SPA is more of a social gathering than a relaxing experience...

4 Thank 1zzy
BotaBota, Owner at Bota Bota, spa-sur-l'eau, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
Thank you very much for your review and comments.
From what I am reading you were probably at Bota Bota on the last Thursday of July, when we held our special event, Urban Drift. We do have more people onboard on these special evenings, with a DJ and a juice bar on the top terrace, as well as a BBQ on our lower deck terrace.
I wish you will be willing to give us another try on a regular day. We invite you to visit our website or Facebook page to learn more about upcoming special events, so you can avoid that day !
Regards,
N. Émond
Longueuil, Canada
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Pure Joy ! Relax your mind and your body”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

After a guided tour of the Spa with one of the employee, you decide : the sauna, cold bath and heated whirlpool and after many sun decks. If you reserve before you go you can have different massages or beauty treatments. Their web site is informative and their pictures gives you the reality of what they can offer you. I highly recommand to anyone who is looking after a day of pure leasure. Their bistro offers delicious light lunch, well balance menu even interesting for foodies.
They also have a nice platform like a quay where you can enjoy the view of boats on the St-Lawrence River. Take time to go on their web site what you will see is what you will get or even better. Reasonable price for a whole day and Special Tuesday 2 peoples for the price of one

Visited July 2011
Ontario Canada
366 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 756 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

My hubby and I were at Bota Bota yesterday for my birthday. What an amazing experience! The views are breathtaking and the service in fabulous. We had a couples massages...oh so wonderful! My hubby said it was the best he ever received, so thank you Josiane. We will plan to go back this winter to live it diffently.

2 Thank SylvieFrancois444
Thank you very much for you kind review !
And yes, you should definitely be back during winter time. Sitting in the Promenade Deck jacuzzi, with a light snow tumbling down and amazing views of the Old Montreal is a wonderful experience.
Regards,