“One of the best smoke meat in town”
Review of Dunn's Famous - CLOSED

Dunn's Famous
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Panet
Reviewed September 23, 2013

If you travel to montreal and don't eat a smoke meat then you have misted something unique. Dunn's famous smoke meat is really great , not too dry not too juicy just right and they have a number of restaurant in the city.

1  Thank caro089

Reviewed September 22, 2013

The restaurant is 50's style, actually probably not renovated since the 50's, but it was quiet, mid day when I went there. The waitress was very nice and served us promptly. The menu had a Greek salad and the contents did not list any lettuce. Yummy, a real Greek salad. The dressing and toppings were very good, BUT the chef made it over half lettuce. What a disappointment. That's cheaping out!!!! The smoked meat sandwich was tasty but I got the impression it was yesterdays roast.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Yes this place was good for its famous smoked meat. I also had to get the Montreal Poutine here as a side. First time for me and it was actually extremely good. Hugely fattening i am sure but what is good is not necessarily always good for you. This place is old school kitschy, but great service (we were there early around 6pm) even when it got busier. Price was typical for downtown, not cheap but for the amount of food it was excellent. I would go again if back in Montreal.

1  Thank LV69Dawg
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This location is very convenient to the main strip in downtown Montreal. They have a very busy sidewalk seating area that was packed the night I was there.
I had a draft beer and ordered the original smoked meat sandwich. The wait staff was very good and the dinner was delivered very quickly. I substituted extra pickles for the cole slaw as I love a good dill pickle.
What a disappointment the dinner was. I have been eating pastrami and corned beef and smoked meat since I was a young boy - I even remember when Mel used to slice the pastrami at Switzers on Spadina in Toronto back in the 70's... This sandwich was dry and its presentation on the plate was poor...When I saw the restaurant I told my business colleague that we had to try it for dinner - in fact we walked past a few very good looking steak houses because I knew Dunn's was right around the corner.
What a major let down on our only night in down town Montreal. I wont make that mistake again.

1  Thank Real_Duke_of_Hockley
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This review is for the restaurant located at 7385 Décarie Blvd.

Two weeks ago, a dear friend from University days visited me in Mtl for a week. When asked what types of food she wanted, her only requests were smoke meat and Mtl bagels. Both not represented in Boston.

We went to Smoke Meat Petes, Snowdon Del. and Dunn's. Snowdon Del won hands down. Dunn's was the biggest disappointment!

When my dad would come to Mtl to visit me back in the 70's, we had a regular date at Dunn's on Ste. Catherine. Smoke meat with all the trimmings, and share cheesecake for dessert. Very fond memories.

I was thrilled when Dunn's reopened, and hoped that the smoke meat that made them famous so years ago, would continue.

About a year ago, I noticed a change. At first, it smaller portions on the smoke meat platter, then it was the quality. The second to last time I was there, the french fries were re-heated.... A major no no.

I guess I keep going back, hoping that the issues would be recognized and the Dunn`s that I loved would return. I have really tried to give them a chance.

This time was disaster. I always order the smoke meat platter, and take home half. I had noticed last time that about 25% of the mound of meat was comprised of shavings and scraps. this time it was at lest 50%.

The fries had an oily taste, not sure if it is the type of oil they were using or the oil itself was past it`s prime.

I don`t think I am the only one who has noticed the difference. We went prime time, and there were only a few tables occupied.

Myer Dunn would NOT be proud.

1  Thank MaxieMontreal