“Looks more exciting than it tastes”
Review of Grumman 78

Grumman 78
Ranked #574 of 5,852 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The menu is limited and requires explanation from the friendly staff. Portion are generous and designed for sharing. We ordered the Johnny cakes with fried chicken. I found the chicken surprisingly bland and found I was enjoying the coleslaw more than the rest of the dish. The quest fundido comes out bubbling hot and needs to be eaten quickly. The chorizo it comes with is also... bland.
I was expecting a fun culinary adventure but left feeling a bit hungry for flavor.
Perhaps other menu items would have proved more satisfying.
The front of the restaurant is packed and loud, a good place for the young crowd to hang out for a drink. The back of the restaurant is more suitable to conversation, but the extra wide tables can make it a tad difficult to hear your friends.

Worth giving it a try for the ambiance. If you want great taste, I would recommend giving this place a miss.

There are newer reviews for Grumman 78

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We finally decided to check out this place after hearing all the hype and reading its reviews. Upon arrival realizing the location naturally we figure it'll be affordable and delicious as its near a train track and in the ghetto. The place is quaint and has a welcoming ambiance and knowledgable staff. We decide to get the beef, marinated pork and the vegetarian taco with its sweet potatoes. The best of all 3 was surprising the vegetable taco as the pork was waaay too salty and the beef had a sauce that cut our appetite. As for the potatoes they tasted oily and took away from the rest. We felt that none of the dishes has a refreshing touch as typical mexican tacos usually are. Let alone that we wanted some hot chilis but seemed like an impossible request. Only their table hot sauce was available. After all that, the most shocking part was our bill for 2 was over $70 not including tips. Two positive things was the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and Mexican hot chocolate for dessert was the piece the resistance! Definitely would not return, way too pricey for what your getting at that location!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

For a few weeks now a few friends had been talking about this “great” new restaurant that was going to blow my mind and reconsider everything that I once new. It was supposed to be hard to get reservations and I was going to have to call many times to get in…not so much. I called one afternoon and was able to make reservations for that same evening… We got there and yes, the décor is very funky and different. I’ve never been to a restaurant with that type of design where 1800$ paintings are hanging (I guess the price was on the paintings just in case people want to buy them after a few shots of tequila). Speaking of tequila, the drinks that we ordered were delicious, I can’t remember the names but they were very good. The food now…not so much. I went in with very high expectations because everyone had hyped up this restaurant so much that I was eager to start eating. My friend and I ordered the beef tacos with guacamole and sour cream, the French fries and the “Johnny Cakes’ fried chicken. The beef was dry, the tortilla was dry and the guacamole was way to runny. The “Johny Cakes” are basically fried chicken balls on top of a crepe, sounds yummy right? Nope. The chicken was very fatty so much so that I ended up with a pile of fat on the side of my plate, and the crepes were dry. The fries were ok, the taste of garlic was overwhelming but the cheese was good (almost like a poutine less the poutine sauce). For the price that we paid I can tell you that I was extremely disappointed and when I mentioned it to the people that had told me about this restaurant they were surprised and disappointed …because, I came to learn, that none of them had been to the restaurant. Everything they knew about it was thru hearsay. The restaurant looks awesome but the quality of the food did not impress me and is certainly not worth the price.
I would go back for drinks but that is about it, no food for me.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

As a huge fan of tacos and tequila and casual but delish dining, how can i not like this place!

Good job on the selection of cocktails and anejo tequila!

After a couple of visits to this st henri gem, I cant decide on my favourite dish yet...

I have very much enjoyed the sweet potatoe snacky thing (almost too good, I wanted a whole plate!). The pork tacos were tender and flavourful... I love how the tortillas are served in a foil (BBQ chicken) bag... so smart!

I am always too full for dessert, but the cart is so tempting!
Even when my friends were late, I was happy because I could play ms pacman or read archie comics.

Our waitress was well-informed and checked back with us regarding a dairy intolerance question. She knew her stuff and was happy to share her knowledge and preferences.

We were there on a quiet, cold, snowy monday night. Perhaps that is why the chef came out to check on us, which we appreciated...

For sure going back... cant wait to see what is on the menu next!!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Grumman 78 is located in a big old auto garage (which is quite chilly on winter nights). The atmosphere is casual with odd wooden tablets from recycled shipping pallets. The ambiance is very casual, local, and noisy. The menu is not large, but the food is very tasty, with soft tacos as the main feature. The wine list is mostly french, and very affordable. The service tends to be slow, relaxed, and casual. - There is zero pretension at Grumman 78. It is a simple casual, local, and family-friendly affordable place. Don't expect anything more.