“Tartare, tartare and more tartare...”

Marche 27 Tartare Bar
Ranked #501 of 5,678 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: Open in 2007, Marché 27 is the first tartare bar in the world. Serving raw proteins from Salmon, Tuna, Beef, Hamachi, Duck, etc...
“Tartare, tartare and more tartare...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

First time in this little restaurant off the very busy St-Laurent. We were four people hoping to get a seat (they don't take reservations !). We sat at the bar at the start of our feast and finally got a table.

The cons: the decor is nice but the stools are cheap (sorry, but they are) and the seating is crowded and low. The tables are too small for people like us who like to order lots and share. The place is a little noisy, but I think is caters to the desired clientele. The service is uneven but the place was packed on a Monday night. Nothing that can't be fixed.

The pros: the variety of tartares and non-tartare food is quite good. We opted to start with the grilled octopus and some oysters which were prepared in front of us. Both were good (the octopus was good, but the accompanying beans and veggies were very good). The wine selection could be improved, but it's ok. We waited for a table so we then changed seats and we ordered both tasting menus (meat and fish) with all the different flavorings. Some were alright and some were fantastic (the combo of duck and truffle, spicy veal... yum). All tasted fresh and hand chopped. The sweet fries are divine (esp. the dipping sauce). We ordered two more repeats of our favorites. By this time, the service was very good and attentive (I would give it 3 1/2) and we were stuffed.

We did not have any room for dessert (although they looked good). Next time.

I would change a few things : they should take reservations, with their popularity, they should purchase better quality seating and a small rethink of the wine menu wouldn't hurt. I'm still giving it a good rating as the food was really good.

• Visited May 2012

Montreal, Canada
“If you love tartar then it's the place to go.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

The vibe here is great and the food even better! There are so many choices of tartarto pick from.White or red tuna ,salmon, scallops, lobster.
Then there are all the wonderful seasonings that accompany them. You chose or they can do it for you.we chose an Indian curry,Italian, Thai, and a spicy one.
All 4 combinations were different and outstanding.

There is a tasting menu with a great combo of meat tartares, if you prefer that to fish.
Fun drinks, good service, plan to have a really nice evening.
This is the same owner as Lucille's which unfortunately burnt down, hopefully that fresh yummy seafood restaurant will be back in business soon.

• Visited May 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
“Never Brave Enough to Try Tartare Before”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

My daughter's student friends brought us here and finally took the plunge to try tarare. Ordered the duck with truffle & parmesan as I figured I eat duck almost raw anyway...and loved it. The smaller 100 gram portions were a great way to try tartare for the first time. And the drinks were so awesome they would wash anything down. We actually liked it so much we are planning on returning.

• Visited April 2012
Montreal
“Tartare heaven! Although some combos are a little weird...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

I am a tartare nut, so I was really really happy to be going to this place, despite reading some less than flattering comments about the service. I am fortunate to have had no bad experiences with the service. Our waitress was really polite and cheerful, and honest (she told us what NOT to order in this case).

We ordered the butternut squash salad, which was really nice, and the trial platter for $40 which has 5 meats with 5 different sauces. It was enough for both of us, actually we struggled to finish the last of it! The sauces are great, and the meat was really nice (up to this point I have never had raw veal or duck) but to be honest, I found the combination of some of the meats with their respective sauces to be a little weird. The red tuna with the Japanese seasoning was a no-brainer, but I'm not sure I would have chosen the salmon with the Thai seasoning, or any of the other combinations. I'm not saying it was bad, not AT ALL, but I feel there was that extra step that could have been taken by the chef to deign a combination of meat to seasoning that would have been more complementary.

However, I still recommend this platter as it's a great intro to what the restaurant has to offer. The ambiance is also laid back and fun! I'll definitely be back, but not with any vegetarian friends, that's for sure!

• Visited February 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“All sorts of tartare!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Pick your protein, pick your style! Don't know what you want, they now offer tasting platters where you can have pre-selected tartares. I have been to this place since its inception and have seen the menu change, concept change, the decor change, but the tartare have always been fresh and consistent. The desserts are a hit or miss.

• Visited February 2012