“you must try.....a different vege style”
Review of Su Shian Yuang CLOSED! - CLOSED

Su Shian Yuang CLOSED!
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Taiwanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“you must try.....a different vege style”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

i am a over 25 years global vege food fan, travel many country and try many different vege food, but nothing compare to this little, warm family restaurant, it surprised me that, they do not use imitation or artificial product, but all natural. not oily not salty, well prepared from heart.

Highly recommend!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Whisky_1357

New York City, New York
“Great experience, highly recommended”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Food was great and the service was really sincere. We felt we were charged so little for the food that my wife bought some tea packets, etc., if only to make up for it. We will definitely go back if we visit Montreal again.

• Visited November 2011
Montreal
“Vegetarian Restaurant serves Crunchy Wheat!? Try it!”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I decided to try Chunky Wheat (savory) in pepper sauce and Pa Guy (fried breaded Taro in sweet & sour sauce). Both were very flavourful, delicious and they come with an assortment of vegetables: Bok choy, red&green peppers and chinese or regular broccoli. They offer steamed or multi-grain rice for sides.

I was part of a Vegetarian meetup group where we dined at Su Shian Yuang last week (I'm not vegetarian & neither were 3 other members). You will find the typical General Tao chicken (tofu) and Chow mein but I really love trying strange and different plates you don't find elsewhere.

Su Shian Yuang is relatively new, they opened last February 2010 near Mont Royal Metro. Owned by a Taiwanese brother (front of the house) and sister (chef) team, it's a really cozy little place and brightly decorated. I'm going back for sure, even if it isn't located in my neighbourhood!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Evoen
Montreal, Canada
“Veg Taiwan: A great discovery. Looking forward to returning.”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Mostly vegan with well labelled menu for eggs, allergens and hand-made specialties.
Attractive, tasty dishes. Pleasant interior. Attentive service.
Lunch buffet allows for tasting of many different items.
Have eaten there 3 times with spouse, mother and friend. I would like to see them succeed so I can continue to eat there.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank Rita B
Montreal, Canada
“Unusual Taiwanese veggie food with great owners. Simple but very nice place...”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We have eaten three times at the Su Shian Yuang restaurant over the past month. This is a simple but real pleasant Taiwanese vegetarian restaurant, with many of the dishes being home-made. For strict vegetarians, dishes are marked as vegan versus those created with eggs…

The owners are real sweet people – clearly immigrants from Taiwan - gracious and very gentle; polite. The food is very unusual, unlike vegetarian food I’ve eaten elsewhere in Montreal - usually delicious (though sometimes abit too sweet for our tastes – for example the taro balls that are crunchy on the outside and filled with sweet taro paste on the inside). The menu is pretty extensive – I’d opt for the more unusual dishes (slabs of smoked tofu patés for example) rather than the more usual Chinese dishes (e.g. noodles).

The Gazette Newspaper recently reviewed this restaurant and gave it a « good bet » rating – their second best rating out of four. For the food, I concur, for the genuine niceness of the owners, I’d give it the top « great bet » rating. (Obviously we liked it, having returned several times…).

The restaurant is located on Rachel Street just east of St Denis. In the evening there is a bar maybe 10 meters further east along Rachel Street with live music in the evening (at least when we were there) – a good place for an after dinner drink (especially as the Su Shian Yuang restaurant does not have a liquor license…). For a more upscale Thai vegetarian experience, the ChuChai restaurant is also nearby – across the street on St Denis Street.

• Visited June 2011