All reviews general hospital communal breakfast table house is beautiful other guests enjoyed our stay previous guests top floor room was spotless per night train station carole hosts russe french privacy toilet quebec
Reviewed July 4, 2018 via mobile

The place is just excellent. It is located close to Mont-Royal and to bus and metro stations. So moving around was easy.
The room was spacious, comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated. WiFi speed was excellent. Towels were very soft. The bed was so comfy that I didn't want to wake up, but the breakfast was a good incentive.
Every day we were served a different menu with québécois food, cheese, bread, jams and honey, fruit, coffee, all home made and a very good option if you want to taste the flavour of Québec.
Carole and François, the hosts, were very kind and friendly, they explained us how to move around the city and make our stay wonderful.
Staying in this B&B makes me want to come back to Montréal.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

My partner and I enjoyed our stay at the B&B. François and Carolle were very nice. Breakfast is delicious and the service is wonderful. The room was spotless and the decoration in the house is beautiful. Thank you Carolle and François. We’ll definitely be back!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2017

I know that this negative review will stick out like a sore thumb amongst a sea of positive reviews, but I really feel like I have to say something. First of all, this place is lovely and well kept and the rooms are very nice with comfy beds, TVs and everything you could want. If you aren't as interested into the social aspect of a B&B, and you don't mind paying a bit extra, then you will likely be satisfied with this place. But, if you are a solo traveller, like me, who purposely chooses B&Bs over hotels for the social aspect, then you, like me, may be disappointed.

To begin with, right off the get-go, unlike other B&Bs I stayed at in the province of Quebec, the owners did not offer to pick me up from the train station and I made my own way to the place (this is not an expectation, but just saying that other B&Bs did offer that), and when I arrived, tired and weary from the train trip, I arrived to a locked door -- at 5:00pm, which is not wonderful especially since they were home and they were expecting me at that time. Not sure why the door was locked during the day, but whatever. When I arrived, the hosts were fairly adamant about speaking to me in French, even though they knew I was from Vancouver and did not have a lot of experience with French speaking. Throughout my trip, I definitely made the attempt and in Quebec City thoroughly enjoyed my French practice with my host there. However, she was giving me logistics about the place and I made it clear that I preferred this in English as it was important information and I wanted to get it right. She still reverted to French when the language was simple, like numbers, and I can only assume it was because she felt that I SHOULD be speaking French. At any rate, she informed me that breakfast was at 8:00am and I asked her then if there was any flexibility with that because I had booked a bike tour for 9:00am and I had no idea how far away the place was that I needed to go, etc. She hesitated and said "If I do that for you, then I have to do it for everyone". This floored me. Firstly, if you are going to have a set time for breakfast (in my experience, there is usually a window for breakfast), then post that on your website and then remind people in their confirmation email. But there was no such thing so I went ahead and booked my 9:00am tour because I assumed that breakfast would have a window, or that they might be able to pack me a breakfast (again, another common practice). I asked her if she could please reconsider, I was only asking for 15 minutes earlier so that I could be sure to make my tour and she finally relented saying something like "My husband is usually up at 7:30". So, not sure if that meant that I would be getting breakfast or what, I unpacked and went out (with no recommendations from them as to where to go).

The next morning I went down at 7:30 in the hopes of procuring some sort of breakfast (the price is quite high for this place so I wanted to ensure I got breakfast as part of it), and sure enough they were there, which I appreciated. They then proceeded to bring me breakfast which was decent, but very bread and sugar heavy, and then I sat at the table by myself while they chatted with each other in the next room. It felt super isolating. It was a completely different experience than at my other B&Bs where they never let anyone sit alone and inquired about their day, where they are from, etc. Other than asking me where I was from (Vancouver), they never inquired a single thing about me while I was there, they just thrust a map of Montreal in my face, showed me my room and delivered the basic essentials. As a solo traveller, this was not exactly the warm embrace that I had received at other places. Nowhere near.

I guess in closing I would say that I felt very much like a customer here, that they just went through the motions, and I did not feel like their guests. Perhaps their French-speaking clientele have a different experience, but this was my experience.

Date of stay: August 2017
1  Thank travellinwilbury100
Reviewed June 23, 2017

I stayed at Au Coeur Urbain for a week while visiting an elderly relative in Montreal.
The hosts Carolle and Francois are charming and can't do enough to help you feel at home and to find your way around. The location is in a historic 1920s house directly opposite the Montreal General Hospital. The one way street is busy during the day but there is a garden at the front and the house is set back from the road. With the double glazing there was no noise problem. The rooms, themed by country, are on 2 floors with wooden stairs. La Russe was a spacious room on the top floor with a large fireplace. The air-conditioning was most welcome as the weather was very hot and humid. The en suite shower, toilet and small wash basin are concealed behind a curtain. There is plenty of storage. The Wifi for me worked fine in my room ( see previous review ). Breakfast is a celebration of local produce: artisan bread, jams and maple butter, cooked eggs and ham, waffles, delicious quiche all beautifully presented. The communal breakfast table seats 8 and everyone chatted in their many languages. Positives ? I liked the warm welcome and the elegant spotless accommodation . Negatives ? The access needs a bit of thought as it's on a steep hill but it's quick to walk down to the city centre and there are frequent buses uphill to the hospital from the metro station at the bottom. Taxis are available very quickly.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2017

I hesitated to give Au Coeur Urbain 4 stars instead of 5, because the hosts try so hard, the breakfasts are wonderful, and the B&B itself is beautiful! The only issue is that wi-fI worked only occasionally in our room itself (on the third floor). But since wi-fi is important for many travelers, I think it warrants the reduction of 1 star. If the hosts installed a wi-fi booster or something, the B&B would be 5 stars!

Also, re the bathroom layout: The bathroom was fully separated from the rest of our room (the Russian room) by a curtain. I had been concerned about it (privacy, etc.) based on other reviews, but it was not an issue.

Date of stay: March 2017