“It's too bad”
Review of Tuck Shop

Tuck Shop
Ranked #65 of 5,976 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had high hopes.

We arrived on time for a 9 res and realised they were overwhelmed and suggested we go across the street to La Bar Crouselle (which we loved, very cool, nice people) and we would come back a half hour later. They served a lovely salad at 10.40 but at 11.15 with our friend literally falling asleep at the table we gave up and left.

We have to say that through this the wait staff were really trying their best. They opened a second bottle on the house and as sweet a gesture as that was (and unheard of in MTL to our knowledge) at 11.15 we were past food. The kitchen needs a review. We counted between 30 to 40 seats and what seemed to be a well equiped kitchen, so what was the problem?

We were at Lemeac on Laurier the night before and the difference in professionalism was marked.
We thought Tuck Shop had all the elements of a great experience but it just didn't come together.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Finally got in to Tuck Shop on a last minute luck, they took our reservation...Lesson learned, you need a reservation there ahead of time! This restaurant is a small and welcoming neighborhood eatery that is worth the detour. The Saint-Henri neighborhood is being revamped so this is kind of up and coming trendy. The service was incomparable: very attentive staff, really all of them, making sure they meet your needs at all times. Great wine selection, even bubbly by the glass, and the menu is varied and fresh. As a starter we shared their mozzarella taco: it was so fresh, the avocados, coriander and vegetables were just the right touch. I had the salmon, which was accompanied by a leaky egg, puréed carrots and beets: it was very tasty an the flavors blended together harmoniously. My husband had the lamb shank with ricotta gnocchi, and he was not disappointed either! The delicate taste of the lamb was well balanced by the sauce and sides.
For dessert, the Chef's mom's brownie was to die for...REALLY!
The only downfall we found was the price which is a little bit on the higher side for a small eaterie, but the food and atmosphere made up for that.

1  Thank Veronique1985
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I walked away from the restaurant wondering when I was going back to try out the other plates on the menu. Very original menu (typical bistro list but with original preparation and sides). I had the scallops and tried my friend's gnocchis. Food prepared to perfection. Service was good. They couldn't give us our table on time, so they gave us the option of sitting in the terrace in the back. Not the best situation as there was some work being done on the building close by. We were secluded though (only one table in the back), so we got to enjoy that. Definitely going back to try the other menu items.

1  Thank MightyMouse76
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Among the hot, trendy restaurants now for a couple of years in St Henri, a Montreal neighborhood close to downtown. As others have said, the menu is very well devised, and from two visits recently there are strong contenders and other dishes that are just ok.

Striking is the small informal bistro atmosphere, great service, and wow factor simple things - their market salad is the reason to have a salad. I would happily trade up my entree for a double portion of this salad. The portions, having said that, are already big enough - the bavette steak is rolled/cigar shaped rather than flat and its enormous.....but I found it oversalted (made more extreme by a covering of salted herbs). Accompanying fries were nice are were the other dishes (halibut, steak, scallops).

I won't rush back (except for that salad) but its a great place for sure, worth the trip and the potential for waiting to get a reservation (its still that busy). If its a cold Montreal night, sitting next to the window is a mistake - despite a baseboard heater it was freezing (owing to the large window).

1  Thank velo007
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Nice ambience, reasonable wine list, very good service and the food is excellent. I started off with the oysters followed by the crispy pork appetizer. For the main I had Black bass with calamari served on lentils. Every detail was well thought out. There are a lot of pretenders, this one is the real deal.

1  Thank Westmounter