“Trendy spot in an up-and-coming neighbourhood”
Review of Tuck Shop

Tuck Shop
Ranked #74 of 5,820 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Montreal
“Trendy spot in an up-and-coming neighbourhood”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This neighborhood is close to our place with hot and trendy restaurants popping up on Ave. Notre Dame all the time. The menu is well thought out and creative and the wine list is also pretty decent. The lobster salad, pork belly and Cornish hen were particularly tasty dishes but the highlight was definitely the warm and gooey apple pie with vanilla ice cream that we had for dessert. Good food, great ambiance. My one complaint would be that I found the menu a little overpriced.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank travelover007

Montreal, Canada
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Is a nicely decorated restaurant.
Service was poor.
They took our food order before asking if we would like any drinks and then as an after thought asked we wanted wine. Very unprofessional.
Ignored for long periods of time.
Main courses were way over priced for what they were.
Example; grilled lamb leg on a bed of roquette and lentil salad.
Lamb was not grilled, it was pan fried. Anyone can make a salad, so paying $35 for it was an insult. The menu made no reference to the fact it was a roquette salad.
Starter; crispy pork belly in a cream, mushroom and cheese sauce.
Portion of pork belly was tiny, compared to the heirloom tomato starter. Also, pork was not even close to crispy, was over cooked and stringy.
Apple pie, nothing to be excited about.
Cheese plate was very disappointing.
Served 3 cheeses, one was completely over ripe and sent back, a second cheese was borderline over ripe. The garnish for the cheese plate, grilled bread and coleslaw. None of the cheese were interesting or unique.
The only good dish was the veal chop at $40.
I do not recommend this restaurant.
I am a chef of 20 years in fine dinning around the world.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank AlexNDG
San Diego, CA
“Super delicious!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I finally checked this place out last night for dinner. We were promptly seated for our 6:30pm reservations.
Our meals were both exceptional. I chose the boneless lamb shank sitting over a bed of lentil salad that exploded with flavor (from the mint, kalamata olives, arugula, pine nuts and currants). Lamb was medium rare and so tender. My girlfriend ordered the wild bore which was served in a deliciously rich gravy made up of tiny onions, squash and other veggies. Both our meals were fantastic. Oh less I forget our first courses ordered, cream of cauliflower soup, and hers the pork belly with gouda and mushroom sauce. We were both so happy and pleased with our food that we look forward to another time to share this great place with our family and friends.

• Visited October 2012
ontario, canada
“Good Find in Montreal!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Recommended by a friend, we went for dinner here and sat at the bar since it was a very busy Saturday night.

The bartender, who I also believe may have been the owner was very attentive and offered great suggestions for dinner. I started with the soup of the day (cauliflower) and had the Hens for dinner. Served with some of the best mashed potatoes i've ever had and seasonal vegetables that tasted like they were just picked up from the market.

Dessert was also amazing, a caramel cheesecake served in a canning jar. A must if available.

Atmosphere was small, music was perfect and the place was busy. Reservations highly recommended. Like others said, it is off the beaten path a little bit as it is in a neighbourhood, it is not a far walk from the subway station. We did not feel uncomfortable walking around after dark.

Prices were in the $20-$30 range, but definitely worth it! Great place to go with couples or friends.

• Visited July 2012
Montreal
“Great food except for the desserts”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I've tried Tuck Shop a couple of times in the past two months. The starters are excellent. More recently, I sampled the grilled octopus and a tomato salad--both very tasty. The lamb shanks are also excellent. So is the arctic char. The desserts were a big disappointment though; I think I'll try the cheese plate the next time. Yes, Tuck Shop is a little out of the way, but overall it's worth the trip.

• Visited September 2012