“Fun Place to Stay With a Great Vibe”
Review of Pensione Popolo

Pensione Popolo
Ranked #101 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Fun Place to Stay With a Great Vibe”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights while attending a conference in town. I wanted an escape from the abundant scientists at the conference and knew that Le Plateau would be the place to find it. I stumbled on the Pensione on Google Maps while checking out the neighbourhood and then discovered that the Casa Del Popolo is exactly what I want in a bar/venue/cafe. The real-life version did not disappoint. I spent evenings in the bar winding down from the conference and people watching writing letters and whatever. It seemed like a very inclusive and fun space lively and upbeat.

My room was what I expected. It had a shared bath and toilet (separate) which was never a problem. The room was comfortable with a cozy bed, cold AC a futon that I didn't use and a TV that I also didn't use. The furniture is all retro 70s stuff. None of it is nice, but it's completely functional. The space gives you what you need to spend time in Montreal which is the last place you want to waste your time lounging around a hotel room.

The only drawback was that the music from the club was slightly audible. This didn't prove problematic for me. I had the air conditioning on and the white noise from that cancelled the music and I slept perfectly. You may want to be careful in the winter if you plan on sleeping early. But, the music is also quiet enough that you may not be bothered. Ear plugs would also work fine.

All in all, this place is a great one to begin to try to soak up some of the music, artistic and free thinking culture that makes Montreal great. I highly recommend staying here if you are young and open minded and came to the city to explore.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 7, 2012

The pensione consists of four small rooms on the 3rd floor (walk up, narrow staircase) above a cool bar and music venue. You will hear the music in your room, but not loudly -- more like a distant bass line. It didn't interfere with sleep for me.

Fantastic location (walk/bikeshare to everything in the Plateau and Mile End) and great rates. The 2nd floor prep kitchen of the restaurant/bar downstairs is available for guests at all times except 9am-3pm. (This means that you'll smell the prep work in your room -- in our case, a wonderful aroma of caramelizing onions woke us up one day.) Wifi is free and fast, and you get a voucher good for free admission to the concert venue downstairs during your stay.

We stayed in a room with shared bath. There are two separate rooms, one with a toilet only, the other with a shower and sink. Both were spotless. There was only one time in two days when I wanted to use the bathroom and someone else was in there.

The only real negatives were that the beds were springy and uncomfortable, and there weren't enough pillows (only two very thin pillows, one per person). Soap/shampoo are not provided, so bring your own or buy them from the Couche-Tard convenience store across the street. Other than that, a great budget option. I'd come back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Winnipeg
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I had no trouble collecting an envelope with my passcode for the door to the pensione from the main floor restaurant. It was before the official check in time but that didn't seem to matter. At first I was surprised to see the furniture in my room was basic and scuffed up. Then I remembered the price I had paid and the location. I looked at the bed sheets and mattress and they were clean, and so I settled in. The bed was a bit hard but there were lots of comfortable pillows. The temperature of the room was cozy. The small TV and remote worked. The building is old and well maintained with nice high ceilings. There are four bedrooms on the third floor, and one of them has its own bathroom. My room shared a bathroom and shower with other third floor rooms. I only once encountered another person using the facilities during the entire six nights I was there. I spent a few evenings in the main floor restaurant/ bar. They have really excellent beer and cider and tasty food. The atmosphere is young and lively. I had a free pass to check out the bands playing in the venue also downstairs (one is the casa and one is the sala del popolo) and I did check out one band which was interesting. There was a small amount of noise at night, more so from someone on the stairs than from the main floor venues. I could hear music playing but it didn't bother me. If you require complete quiet at night don't stay on Blvd St. Laurent. The location is fantastic, with many restaurants and bars within walking distance. As a "50 something" woman I felt comfortable and safe there. All staff I encountered were friendly. I didn't expect anyone to carry my bags :) Overall I was very satisfied and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo