“Very Surprizing”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Ste Catherine
Transit: McGill Metro
Description: Whether you're from here ... or abroad, we hope that the moments spent at the Birks Cafe feel like a journey - a journey of discovery of culinary sweetness and pleasure. Enjoy your time at the Cafe, take in the surroundings and enjoy a moment of relaxation.
Magog
“Very Surprizing”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Went ther for lunch with two girlfriends on December 12th.....very trendy...the waiters are very polite and friendly....the food was not as good as I expected....because my scallops were not cooked....and had a smell that really wasn't normal...my girlfriends had the pasta and found it very good...but they noticed the smell also....the price is heavy so I was expecting perfection....no one asked why I only had half of one out of three...so al in all not a good lunch for me ....but excellent for my friends...

• Visited December 2012

Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Special Treatment and Yummy Sweet Treats”
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were spending the weekend in Montreal and asked the concierge at our hotel for a special place for a sweet Saturday afternoon treat and a good cup of coffee. The concierge recommended Dirks Cafe located inside Dirks Jewelry store. Very nice with a fancy feel as you walk in the door of the opulent jewelry store and head to the back and to the right to go up some stairs into Birks cafe. We asked for a table for two and were asked if we had reservations. We did not. No worries...they quickly scouted out a table for us and we were seated in a few minutes. We were asked if we wanted them to hang up our coats. That was a nice touch. The menu had some amazing choices, not just for dessert, but for all kinds of creative appetizers abd entrees. The afternoon tea looked great, but I was stuffed from an earlier lunch at a local deli. We could not decide from the many, many dessert options...so our waitstaff brought over tray of sweet treats for us to survey. She was very friendly and attentive. My husband had a white chocolate mousse with cranberries and I selected a chocolate mousse with a candied orange. These yummy desserts with petite spoons hit the spot. The coffee was hot, rich, and delicious. We were seated over by the bar at a table with a great view of meringues, macaroons, glace fruits, and chocolate truffles. The place was packed with customers with many of them enjoying the afternoon tea. I would love to come back again and enjoy more of their menu. The feel of the cafe was fancy, but our desserts and drinks came to about $15. The desserts were absolutely delicious and rich and had many layers of flavors as you worked your way down the long narrow dish it was in. The staff made us feel very special. Before leaving I picked up a box of assorted macaroons. Can't wait to try them, they looked so yummy.

Montreal, Canada
“Time for tea anyone?”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

this is a great place for the 3pm afternoon tea.
The food is excellent and the service is perfect.

You have to try it, you will love it.

• Visited October 2012
Montreal, Canada
“A Gem in downtown Montréal”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went to afternoon tea at this sedate, and classy restaurant. The menu was extensive, with a club sandwich, canapés including (duck foie gras with chutney), scones with Devonshire cream and preserves, meringues, chocolates and Panna cotta desert in a glass. All was served at once on a long silver platter which was an invitation to linger and heighten the appetite with expectation of the next delicious morsel. While the individual portions are not large, taken together, there was plenty of food for a satisfying meal.
The choice of teas was just as exceptional. Individual, flavorful and of excellent quality. If you normally take tea with milk, try the teas 'nature'. They are so good that milk detracts from their delicacy.
We were cordially received and the service was prompt and professional without being pushy. I found that the service was a little confusing as we dealt with four waiters during our meal. (one for the order, one for the water, etc). However the service never lagged, and it was clear that this was a well trained crew.
While not inexpensive, I felt this was was fair value for the excellence and variety of the fare and the delightful locale, in one of the great institutions of Canada. Both menus and pricing are shown in the link.
One of the unexpected benefits is the visit to the store afterwards. For visitors, Birk's holds the same kind of presence in Canada as does Tiffany's in the US. Thus, a stroll through the spacious and calm showroom gives one the opportunity to see beautiful objects (watches, jewellery,glass, porcelain, leather goods, and the like) beautifully displayed. The sales staff are courteous and helpful, and one never feels pressured.
This is a great way to spend an afternoon in Montreal.

• Visited October 2012
Sherman Oaks
“The ambience was better than the service”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

On vacation we stopped for afternoon tea. It's a beautiful old jewelry store, and who doesn't love jewelry? However, the tea, which is reasonably priced at $26.50 per person is good, but not great. Maybe it's Montreal's version of scones, but I found them a bit dense. The cream and jam were very good, but the sandwiches were just okay as well. My husband had a blood mary, and he thought it was just okay as well. The staff were attentive at first, but after the food was brought out, they disappeared. We had to get up to request the check and find the staff as they never came back. It didn't ruin the meal as we did already have the food and didn't really need anything else, so now that I have been there, I probably would not go back.

Visited September 2012