“A Gem in downtown Montréal”

Birks Cafe par Europea
Ranked #1,389 of 5,706 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Cafe, International
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Ste Catherine
Transit: McGill Metro
Description: Whether you're from here ... or abroad, we hope that the moments spent at the Birks Cafe feel like a journey - a journey of discovery of culinary sweetness and pleasure. Enjoy your time at the Cafe, take in the surroundings and enjoy a moment of relaxation.
Montreal, Canada
“A Gem in downtown Montréal”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We went to afternoon tea at this sedate, and classy restaurant. The menu was extensive, with a club sandwich, canapés including (duck foie gras with chutney), scones with Devonshire cream and preserves, meringues, chocolates and Panna cotta desert in a glass. All was served at once on a long silver platter which was an invitation to linger and heighten the appetite with expectation of the next delicious morsel. While the individual portions are not large, taken together, there was plenty of food for a satisfying meal.
The choice of teas was just as exceptional. Individual, flavorful and of excellent quality. If you normally take tea with milk, try the teas 'nature'. They are so good that milk detracts from their delicacy.
We were cordially received and the service was prompt and professional without being pushy. I found that the service was a little confusing as we dealt with four waiters during our meal. (one for the order, one for the water, etc). However the service never lagged, and it was clear that this was a well trained crew.
While not inexpensive, I felt this was was fair value for the excellence and variety of the fare and the delightful locale, in one of the great institutions of Canada. Both menus and pricing are shown in the link.
One of the unexpected benefits is the visit to the store afterwards. For visitors, Birk's holds the same kind of presence in Canada as does Tiffany's in the US. Thus, a stroll through the spacious and calm showroom gives one the opportunity to see beautiful objects (watches, jewellery,glass, porcelain, leather goods, and the like) beautifully displayed. The sales staff are courteous and helpful, and one never feels pressured.
This is a great way to spend an afternoon in Montreal.

• Visited October 2012

Sherman Oaks
“The ambience was better than the service”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

On vacation we stopped for afternoon tea. It's a beautiful old jewelry store, and who doesn't love jewelry? However, the tea, which is reasonably priced at $26.50 per person is good, but not great. Maybe it's Montreal's version of scones, but I found them a bit dense. The cream and jam were very good, but the sandwiches were just okay as well. My husband had a blood mary, and he thought it was just okay as well. The staff were attentive at first, but after the food was brought out, they disappeared. We had to get up to request the check and find the staff as they never came back. It didn't ruin the meal as we did already have the food and didn't really need anything else, so now that I have been there, I probably would not go back.

Visited September 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I recently discovered the Birks Café and went there with 2 other friends for afternoon tea and we had an amazing experience! The afternoon tea starts at 2:30PM and the price is 26,50$ per person (which I find very reasonable), including; a teapot of your tea selection (I tried Rouge Métis which was fruity, but not too sweet. Perfect for my liking), 2 scones with a devonshire cream and jam, a dessert in a verrine, a macaroon, a chocolate, 3 mini sandwich; cucumber & shrimp/ duck foie gras & chutney/ smoked salmon & caviar, and also a mini club sandwich with crispy prosciutto. You also leave with a small bag of sweets to take home :)
I also ordered a Foie Gras by Europea with pear Chutney as an appetizer. Everything was delicious!! The staff was very polite and attentive.
I would definitely recommend Birks Café to anyone that is looking for a sophisticated experience with great food and good service! The only drawback I can think of is that some of the tables have oversized legs which makes sitting with your chair tucked in all the way impossible. If you have the choice, try to take a table with a smaller leg.
I've been dreaming about the food for few days, so I will definitely go back this week!

• Visited August 2012
Champlain, NY
“Nice and appropriate”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We went to the the store during lunch hour and decided to have a coffee in the cafe. We were placed at the "bar" section of the cafe. I would guess to leave the tables for lunching patrons. The service was very fast. The coffee was very good. It came with tiny lemon-poppy seed muffins, kind of one-biters, a great touch. We also tried their macarons, very good, not overly sweet too. Very pleasant experience overall. The Square Philips is super noisy and busy during lunch and it was a true oasis at Birks, quiet, polite and tasty break from it all:)
The price is appropriate for the quality you get, we paid under 15$ for two long espressos and two macarons, tax included. Maybe a bit more than in your corner Van Houtte or Second Cup, but you get real silverware and dishes and cloth napkins and you are at Birks after all.

• Visited June 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“AWESOME brunch!”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I went for brunch with two friends for my birthday and I have to say it was beyond my expectation. The brunch is at a set price of around 45$ with taxes, but it worths every penny. You can a five course meal with a choice of mimosa or fresh squeezed orange juice and tea or coffee. The service was very attentive and everything was tasty and fresh. Their pastries are great and the jam is lovely and home made. The best of it all is that they have an open table link so you can book ahead online. Unfortunately, the brunch is only offered on Saturday and Sunday. From my point of view, it's worth a visit.

• Visited May 2012