“Could be better”

Ranked #93 of 6,004 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Top Old Montreal fishing-village inspired restaurant & wine bar, where our attentive and friendly waitstaff will welcome you 7 days a week from 5pm, or for brunch Saturdays and Sundays from 10 to 2:30. You can treat yourself to rustic but refined dishes, such as Lobster Tagliatelle, Grilled Octopus, Pata Negra and Caccio e Pepe. With wine suggestions by our passionate sommeliers, including 20 wines by the glass daily and beautiful cocktails, expect an eclectic candlelit atmosphere, upbeat tunes and an all around good time.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went there for New Year's Eve and they had a fixed menu. We bought the wine pairing with the dinner. The atmosphere is captivating and the staff is very knowledgeable. The wines were amazing. The food was good, but very little! We were hungry as we left and it was expensive. It felt a little bit like a rip off. ( 2 people 400 dollars)

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I consider myself and my spouse to be very easy people to serve, but I have rarely left a restaurant so angry and disappointed... We have dined at fine Michelin star establishments to casual, low-brow eateries alike. I've lived in France and Europe or 2 years and I understand the finer points of the tapas style, and slower method of dining.

This restaurant, unfortunately, took it to a whole new level, and not in a good way.

When we arrived, we were promptly seated. The ambiance is lovely as you are surrounded by candlelit stone walls, lively music, and warm servers. We mentioned to the server that we were very hungry, as it was a 9pm reservation and we had just drove 6 hours from Ontario into Montreal. We ordered the Fois Gras, Duck Confit Salad, Warm Octopus Salad. I really felt bad for my date, as he was slipping deeper and deeper into a low blood sugar insanity (He's not diabetic AND we had a snack prior to dinner). It took an HOUR for the first morsel of food to arrive...and I'm talkin' MORSEL. We were not given bread to satiate our appetites, or to soak up the wine... and it just went downhill from there.
The Fois Gras was very delicious, but very, very small (one bite each) We were so frustrated at that point, our conversation came to an awkward standstill as it started to dawn on us that we were about to have a disappointing dining experience. 30 minutes after, our two Ho-Hum salads arrived. We panicked and ordered more at that point..the flank steak, salmon tartare, and Half Lobster. The waiter brought the dishes out another hour thereafter and apologized for the wait...What puzzled me was when the chef came out to schmooze a large table and I felt like grabbing him by the collar and screaming at him to get back in the bloody kitchen and pump out some more food!

By the time our food finally arrived, I was fantasizing about running out of this place to scarf down the nearest item that would remotely be considered food.. To my surprise, the dishes were barely luke warm.. Were they just..sitting around in the back? Are we on some joke TV show? The lobster was over salted, and my date CHIPPED HIS TOOTH on a large piece of shell. At that point we were merely eating just to curb the nausea of low blood sugar. The servers asked how everything was, but we were too tired and too disappointed to make a stink of it for fear that we'd have to wait even longer for them to remake it. I simply didn't have the energy to go through the awkwardness of it all.
The icing on the cake was receiving the bill for $250. Ouch. I felt so bad as I watched my man slowly and begrudgingly dish out his hard earned cash for this lame meal. I'm all for slow food and enjoying the experience, but read your customers! Maybe throw us some pity bread? (we had to ask out of desperation).. Maybe a free cocktail to inebriate us into not realizing what a lame experience we were actually having?

I was so upset the next day I couldn't even LOOK at the restaurant. Luckily, we had way better meals elsewhere...

I want my $250 back, s'il vous plait. Oh, and a dentist to repair his chipped tooth.

2  Thank NiagaraK8
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was an accidental find while out walking. We loved the food, the wine, the pairings the restaurant offered were quite inspired. Our wait person was a pro and very helpful. The menu offers local food (awesome) and they have carefully chosen wines to pair with the small plates. The best meal we had in Canada this trip. We will return to Bocata. The chef has a restaurant adjacent to this one also, next time.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

If the prices were not so expensive I would have given a better rating. I had a great experience nonetheless. The decor and atmosphere are great. The service is excellent. The wine list is interesting, but the prices are high. The food is good, but nothing more. At the price they sell their food and drinks, I really expected more. I don't mind paying that much when the food is exceptional, but it was not the case here. Everything was good, but nothing was "Wow". The general impression we had of our evening was that it was not worth

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I searched out a place to est during our trip to Montreal and came upon Bocata. The reviews were great and exactly in line with the experience we wanted. Upon entering the restaurant, it did not disappoint but exceeded our expectations. The atmosphere is old world and very warm and welcoming. The food...was absolute heaven, My husband and I enjoyed the small charcuterie, guinea fowl, Arctic char, bourguignon braised flatiron, and the special of the night, Mac & cheese made with loal Quebec cheese. Everything was amazing on our palate. We had wonderful things to say about each dish. Instead of pairing wines with each dish, we enjoyed a bottle of Morgon G. Descombes which is such a wonderfully light d wine that it went perfectly with each dish that we savoured. Our waitress, Andreanne, was a pleasure to deal with perfectly explained the concept of the restaurant. We walked away very, very happy. I would highly recommend that everyone put this restaurant on their 'must visit' list.