“Best Atmosphere, Great Food, Good Service”

Bocata Restaurant Bar a Vin
Ranked #120 of 5,947 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Top Old Montreal fishing-village inspired restaurant & wine bar, where our attentive and friendly waitstaff will welcome you 7 days a week from 5pm, or for brunch Saturdays and Sundays from 10 to 2:30. You can treat yourself to rustic but refined dishes, such as Lobster Tagliatelle, Grilled Octopus, Pata Negra and Caccio e Pepe. With wine suggestions by our passionate sommeliers, including 20 wines by the glass daily and beautiful cocktails, expect an eclectic candlelit atmosphere, upbeat tunes and an all around good time.
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We loved everything about Bocata: atmosphere, food, drinks, service. Good, creative cocktails- not the frilly, sugary stuff, but good mix-from-the-hip mixology was going on.... Don't hesitate to make a reservation, just do it. We got lucky as a walk-in at 6:30pm on a Satruday night. The Maitre De was a bit stiff "...as long as you're out by 9pm, we can seat you". LOL. Shortly after we started to dine a couple sat beside us, one who is a chef concierge at a big hotel in Montreal...this visit was their 5th, 6th, 7th time exploring the menu?! They too loved it and send all their guests to Bocata.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

We went to Montreal just for a night and decided to go to Bocata as it was #3 on tripadvisor. We called for reservations (a must!) and were told that they had 2 servings, one at 7/7:30 (although the restaurant opens earlier than that) and one at 9:30 and that if we decided to seat at the earlier seating, dinner was going to be done by 9 or so and we couldnt really hang out. (please note this if you are planning to go with a big group). We decided to make reservations for 7:30. We ordered the cheeses first and they were just perfect. We also noticed that as the cheeses and soups came out for other tables, the tables that had not order neither one didnt get any food. Again, note this. This is just the way it works. The place is small so they can do that. Then I had the arugula and duck confit. The flavors were perfectly balanced. My husband had the salmon tartare. I dont eat /like salmon, but it was pretty good (he loved it). Then I had the sea bass with pepperonata and chorizo. Again, another winner, loved this dish. The best dish was my husband's Sea and mountain which was short ribs topped with pistachio butter poached lobster (need I say more?). It was out of this world. All in all, the food was amazing, the ambiance was lively and the dining experience was different and refreshing. It was somewhat expensive for our budget, but I would do it again, hands down (dinner, including 3 drinks was 125 + tip = 150CAD). We didnt have dessert as we were going to go to Juliette et Chocolat which was packed and couldnt go in at all. They were people waiting outside and it was 5 F ... no thank you, I dont want chocolate that badly, it would have to be next time!

Reviewed December 6, 2011

I am currently in Montreal on business, and just returned to the hotel. This restaurant is so amazing that it deemed an immediate comment. I had the Chorizo Grilled Cheese, and the Filet Mignon, and both dishes were absolutely fabulous. I can tell you I'll be going back tomorrow night for the same thing! Great service as well!

1  Thank travelingdiva22
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Ate there last night when the restaurant next door had no room for us. The service was excellent. The oysters were out of this world. Duck and veal dishes outstanding; a special truffle with scallop (only one) was disappointing.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband and I ate here last night based upon Tripadvisor reviews and thouroughly enjoyed it. We asked that the server pick wines to pair with our choices and he did a wonderful job. They have half servings (or full) of many wines which allowed us to try 4 different wines with our meal. We each chose two plates and split a dessert and were very satisfied at the end. The atmosphere is perfect as well. Located in a wonderfully preserved building with exposed beams and stone walls, it was the perfect first dinner in Montreal.