“Simple and good”

Brit and Chips
Ranked #55 of 5,679 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Canadian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Austin, Texas
“Simple and good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Let me be clear- this was my first 'fish and chips' experience. I loved it- for a plate of fried food it wasn't greasy and heavy like I feared. The portions were just right, fish was high quality (i had the cod), and the staff very friendly. I tried the 'mushy peas' for a little green, also delish. If you are looking for a casual meal I'd reccomend this place for sure.

Rating it 4 stars as they were out of some ingredients.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank HazelsMamma

El Dorado, Kansas
“Loved It!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was my first trip to Montreal, QC (My moms as well). We had taken a day trip to venture out to Old Montreal. When we were walking back to our hotel my mom actually spotted this place and decided we NEEDED to go! Boy, am i ever glad we did! I loved it! I ordered the Haddock with a maple syrup and my mom had the fish of the day which ended up being sole with a sour cream batter both were delicious!!! Huge portions for $11.50! I loved that they served it on news paper :) It was agreat experience! def worth going to!!!!

• Visited December 2012
Montreal
“Unexpected surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is a little pub located in the financial district of Montreal on McGill St. Their specialty is fish and chips. If you ever are in the mood of that, don't hesitate to stop by, you won't be disappointed. As others have mentioned, choose cod. It's really good.

• Visited June 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Some of it was OK, but I have to agree with the Brits on this one”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was excited to finally go to this place which opened up a while back in my neighborhood, despite the negative reviews by Brits whom I had written off as homesick snobs. I went on a rainy day, so even the weather was like England or Scotland, but that's where it stopped. I choose the cod, which was not bad actually for Canada, but nowhere near what you would get in Great Britain. It wasn't as greasy as the reviews would suggest, but I certainly wasn't wowed; it was fish fried in batter, that's it. The fries were definitely Canadian style and a bit mushy, not crisp on the outside and potato-like on the inside which I expected. The worst part, though, was their Flake sundae at the end of the meal. Flake is, by far, my favourite milk chocolate candy bar. I've only had them in the UK though, with UK milk chocolate. The bar they served, which is only half the size of a true Flake, is made for the North American market with North American chocolate (I didn't even know they make that, and hopefully they will stop), which uses a different recipe to keep the chocolate from melting due to the different climate. Bleech. It tasted like I was eating hot cocoa mix. And the ice cream comes from an air pump and is served on a waffle cone. It was not good at all, and since it was what I was most looking forward to, it really ruined my experience.

I might go back to try the pies, and I can see it as being an OK place to have a shandy and fried fish and french fries, but calling it Brit and Chips is a bit deceptive.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Canuckker
Austin, Texas
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were walking down McGill looking for a place to have a beer and decided to try this place. This is a small little place where they cook right in front of you and you can sit at a bar or they have a few tables in back and outside in front. The service was excellent and the food comes out quick. We had the cod and haddock with chips. Both were outstanding - crispy and fresh. A great value and we went back one more time before we left. By the way they do serve great beer on tap too!

• Visited October 2012