“Gourmet Bistro Par Excellence”
Review of Au Bistro Gourmet - CLOSED

Au Bistro Gourmet
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Description: Founded for 25 years in downtown Montreal, The Bistro Gourmet has been enjoying an unwavering reputation from business customers. The high quality food, authentically French and at reasonable price, makes The Bistro Gourmet a must where the pleasure of eating becomes an art of living.
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The bistro was so good we went back the following evening with more friends and had another fine meal with very good service. Our first evening meal, as a group if 4 was only tempered by jet lag. The staff were very understanding and their seafood platter excellent. The second evening we tried most of the rest of the menu and were pleased we did. A third evening was also enjoyed by the same group of friends but an early flight meant we had to regretfully forgo the pleasure.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Historically, this is one of my favourite small restaurants in Montreal for dining with friends, or solo. I had not been there for six months, and was very surprised and disappointed at the changes. I did not know when I made my reservation that it was now a BYOB restaurant. When I arrived and ordered wine, the waiter told me of the change and suggested I go to the depanneur three doors down and buy a small bottle there. I took his advice and went to the corner store, but found the wine selection sadly wanting. I decided to forgo wine, and had the bavette, which is normally a good choice. It was very stringy, overcooked and tasteless. The two positive aspects to the evening were that the frites were excellent, and it was a lovely, warm evening - perfect for sitting out side on the patio facing St. Mathieu- my first time dining al fresco this year. Altogether a memorable experience, but not one I would care to repeat!

1  Thank MAHTorontoH
Reviewed June 1, 2013

As i was walking one day on St. Mathieu street I discovered this amazing place and planned to go there this weekend, Im so glad we did.
I loved everything about this place; food was delicious, fantastic atmosphere, excellent service. everything was just wonderful!!! I would definitely go back more often.

3  Thank Banafsheh S
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Listening to the reviews here on Trip Advisor, we decided to head over to the Bistro Gourment because of it's location to our hotel - the Residence Inn, Westmount. It was was located just 0.3 miles away according to the Residence Inn's website. So glad we did! There were 4 in our party and each ordered off the daily price fixe menu! What a treat. I thought my husband was going to lick his salad plate clean! And that was only the first course. Both the soup and/or salad were excellent, then came the vegetable course. Choice of asparagus (steamed, served cold with a hollandaise type sauce) or grilled vegetable. The grilled vegetable was seasoned perfectly and enough for a family of four. We each then had a different entree' - filet mignon with wine sauce reduction, veal chop with mushroom sauce, cod loin, and rib steak. All were cooked perfectly and melted in your mouth - and the sauces worked perfectly! The creme brulee' was an excellent desert (though not on special menu so we were upcharged approximately 2 dollars), the other deserts were "ok" - but the coffee was excellent! Overall a great dinner, and 4 happy diners were more than satisfied and full!

2  Thank Ellen C
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friends and I came to this restaurant because the one we were headed for had closed for renovations. They both had the bavette served with vegetables and fries which they said were delicious. I had the catch of the day which was a nice poached filet served with vegetables and mashed potatoes. The service was fast even though it was at lunchtime and the restaurant was quite full. It was also courteous and very efficient. I capped it off with a delicious café latte. I would recommend this restaurant because the food is delicious and very affordable.

1  Thank panlady