“Business Class British Pub”

Taverne Square Dominion
Reserve with OpenTable
Taverne Square Dominion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 5,778 Restaurants in Montreal
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Ste-Catherine
Transit: Peel Metro Station
Description: RESERVATIONS ARE FOR MEALS ONLY. PLEASE NOTE, 18 YEARS AND OVER. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE OR CANCEL RESERVATIONS THAT DON'T CONFORM OUR GUIDELINES. Featuring a plethora of interesting 1920s-inspired design details, the Dominion Square Tavern is a cut above your average downtown eatery. Enjoy simple classic fare such as mussels and fries or a pulled pork sandwich in a warm, inviting atmosphere. Top it off with a sinful serving of sticky toffee pudding. Newly reopened, the tavern is already a huge hit with the downtown professional crowd. A full bar, cocktails, wine and beers awaits.
Montreal, Canada
“Business Class British Pub”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

It was my first time at Square Dominion Tavern today, and lunch did not disappoint.

In a 100% suit and tie atmosphere, I had beef and vegetable soup, excellent duck, and their sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

Their decor is fully UK inspired. The only drawback: very noisy for lunch.

But overall a good experience and I plan on going back with my coworkers for lunch or afterwork drinks.

• Visited March 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Great burgers and Gin Tonics!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My favourite Pub in Montreal! The service was impecable, the atmosphere was great and the food the best! I had the beet salad and pulled pork sandwich, I recommend both of them. Also, we had gin tonics since the restaurant makes its own tonic water and they were great! Really recommend this tavern in MTL.

• Visited November 2013
Rainbow Lake, New York, United States
“How to Cage the Wind in Montreal”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Some tasks are difficult if not impossible to perform. An example is holding onto the wind, or to completely grip a handful of sand, or keep water in your palm. Another fine example is trying to put into words something that is not describable. This is how I felt when I sat down to dinner at Dominion in downtown Montreal.
It was a Saturday night so we were lucky to get a seat at the bar without reservations. Once seated by the friendly host, we ordered drinks. The wine list is superb. I felt like something different, so I ordered the "house tonic water". I thought "here come a regular tonic with a special line juice", but instead I had the most taste-filled drink I've ever had. The bartender tried to tell me what was in it but I lost track after the orange essence and a host of other herbs and spices.
We ordered the food. We selected a pate de Campagne to start. I was great. For my main course, I selected the Braised Beef Top Blade with garlic mashed potatoes. My wife chose mussels and loved everyone of them. While I waited, I began to doubt the quality of service because they did not set me up with a steak knife. Well, once the dish arrived (on time, I might add), I knew why. The meat fell off the fork and was so tender it...ok, I have to use a cliche here, melted in your mouth. The mashies were perfect as well as the carrots.
The decor was pleasing in a 1930's bistro style. Great music but I would have preferred to hear some Edith Piaf...that would have set the mood perfectly.
The location was near our hotel and adjacent to the busy Rue Ste. Catherine.
It's been in business since 1927, so they're doing something right.
And, for us that night, everything was to perfection.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Patrick E
Montreal, Canada
“A bit of the old downtown we knew and loved.”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Great Single Malt collection.Unpretentious old-style pub next to Dunn's, the only real deli left in downtown Montreal.

Visited January 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
“Nice atmosphere. Average, overpriced food.”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We came here after seeing the reviews on TA. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was great - very well decorated and good lighting.

My husband ordered a tap beer, and I asked the waitress for some cocktail recommendations and decided on an Orange Julep, which was very nice.

We ordered a vegetable soup to start, which was delicious and the highlight of our time here. We shared one between two, but we both agreed that we could have had one big bowl each for our mains and been well satisfied!

I ordered Bangers and Mash for my main, and my husband ordered the Braised Beef Top Blade. When they arrived, we were surprised at how small they were, especially considering the price ($23 and $28 respectively). We were also rather underwhelmed with how they tasted, after hoping that would make up for the lack of substance. My sausages (blue cheese and stout flavoured) were nothing special, aside from the odd hit of blue cheese, and there wasn't enough mash to go with them. I probably could have counted the number of peas I had on my plate on both hands. My husband's top blade was cooked well, but was not well flavoured and the sauce it came with was very strong - reminded me of concentrated vegemite, if that's even possible.

We finished our meal with nutmeg donuts to share. They were quite delicious, and surprisingly good dipped in the sour cream, but again, for that price ($8 for two with a tiny bowl of sour cream) we were hoping for more.

Overall, it was a nice place but we probably won't come here again. The food is overpriced for what you get, and the mains were so underwhelming that it detracted from the tasty starters and dessert we had.

• Visited January 2014