“Another stylish, cool restaurant by Louis-Francois Marcotte” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Hangar - CLOSED

Le Hangar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Cross street: Ann/Shannon
Montreal
“Another stylish, cool restaurant by Louis-Francois Marcotte”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

Le Hangar is a restaurant that has a lot going for it: stylish decor, interesting menu, celebrity chef owner. I read that a beam that is in the middle of the restaurant had been shipped in from New York's Ground Zero. I would not have known this from my visit, but it is an interesting tidbit.

There is a little store with food items in the front of the restaurant, along with the owner's books (note: I imagine if you want a signed copy you could probably call ahead and ask - I was at Le Locale not so long ago and was lucky enough to be there when Louis-Francois Marcotte was on site - he was very friendly and seemed happy to sign my book and have a quick chat).

Our meal was very good and I wish I could remember the dishes by name, but our party of three were quite happy with everything served. It was a busy time of year, the week before Christmas, so there were more than one long table of what were probably office lunches. It surprised me that the service was quite efficient all the way through UNTIL we wanted to pay our bill, then we had to go on a mission to seek out our waiter, get the bill, then seek out the waiter again to get the bill paid. The time it took to get the bill paid was not satisfactory. They must realize that at lunchtime people need to leave by a certain time. If I went again at lunchtime, I would give the waiter a heads-up on this point.

This restaurant is off the beaten path (in a part of town called Griffintown, which is now being gentrified), and the parking is not evident. Apparently there is a parking lot in the back somewhere. There is a lot of one hour parking around which is fine if you are having a fast lunch, but for our purposes, we knew we were going to be app. one and half hours, so we rolled the dice and risked a ticket. For the location of this restaurant, I would advise that they seriously consider doing valet parking - I see this with other restaurants that present parking challenges to their clients. Not everyone will use it, but for those who want the convenience and are willing to pay, it should be available for this site. Compare to this the owner's other restaurant, Le Locale, this would be absolutely unnecessary - there is a huge, affordable parking lot right across the road and lots of metred parking.

I would definitely go to Le Hangar again, I liked the food, the wine, the atmosphere. Bon appetit!

• Visited December 2011

Montreal, Canada
“Fantastic food in a spacious environment!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

We were a large group celebrating a birthday. Thus everybody had an opportunity to enjoy their own selections plus taste those of their seatmates. Every appetizer and every main course received the same excellent remark from each of us! The chef really knows his job!!
The main dining area has a high ceiling, brick walls, large windows: a great sensation of both warmth and space.

NewBrunswick
“Good Service- Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

My family and I went to Le Hangar for a brunch as it opened in the morning. We were quickly seated and given our menus and water immediately. The waitress was polite and cheerful as was the day manager. We all ordered something different and received all of our orders at the same time. The food was excellent, hot and very tastey. It was reasonably prived and would have paid around the same at Cora's. We have now tried both Le Locale and Le Hangar and have enjoyed both, we would recommend both to anyone.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Very modern and hip resto scene”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Expensive for what you get. Very modern and cool decor. Out of the way on Wellington street. I'm not sure it's worth it. There are many more similar restaurant in Montreal.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Mont-Tremblant
“Nice set-up, good food, friendly staff...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I do have good things to say about the place, The server was very helpfull and described the daily specials really well. We liked the decor.

The sommelière was helpfull as well, and down-to-earth. Food presentations were nice, the menu seems to lack some choices in main courses, but we'd rather have less choice with quality.

The setbacks are the high chairs (Everywhere) and the No parking zone (from 7 to 8) right in front, tough, the staffers were really savvy as to explain to us next time where we should park (Street right across, and 5$ parking hard to find, but there, at th rear of building!)

It costed me 340$ for 3 (including tip & 2 bottles around 60$/ btle) So It's not cheap, but then again, I think they're average in the price zone

I'd recommend for trying something new (When double-dating) Lunches must be cool. The bar scene apparently never picked-up (Server said)

They have a ready-to-cook, grab & go fridge at the entry...(We like)

• Visited October 2011