“Average restaurant”

Restaurant Szechuan
Ranked #707 of 5,996 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have had lunches and dinners at this specific spot out of convenience due to business purposes and location. During our most recent visit I had to make it clear to him that I truly dislike this place, for the simple reason we could get the same food in china town with much better taste at an affordable price. The food is not disgusting but is very average, I've never been wowed not impressed.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We always visit Szechuan whenever we are in Montreal. Their peanut dumplings are fabulous. On our most recent visit we also ordered General Tao Chicken, which had just the right amount of kick and taste! Somewhat hidden on the edge of Old Montreal, however it is worth finding.

5  Thank skysam
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife an I went to this restaurant June 20, 2013 for lunch. The restaurant has 2 floors and we were seated upstairs in front of a window overlooking notre-dame street. This added a little sunlight to our meal. We ordered a plate of general tao and a plate of shrimps & scallops. Both were served with a soup, spring roll, rice, vegetables, desert and tea. Both plates were hot and spicy to our liking. The service was excellent from our greeting to our exit. There is a friendly restaurant for a nice szechuan meal.

4  Thank denist_eg
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This restaurant is in a great location on Notre-Dame and the decor is classic and inviting. The service was excellent however the food was very simple (bland) for the price.

I started with a crab and corn soup. This was the most disappointing part of the meal. It was extremely bland and adding pepper did not help.

My main course was the sesame crispy shrimp. It was served with steamed rice and a vegetable medley. Although it was tastier than the soup, I would say that it was the same quality I would expect from a fast chinese takeout. If I include a small glass of white wine, my meal cost me $34. It did not meet my expectations

1  Thank LAF_20
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Rather than continue searching in -5 F weather for a place to eat nearby the Westin hotel, we ducked into the inviting-looking Restaurant Szechuan. The warm wood interior with white table clothes gave the appearance of a nicer than average Chinese place and spicy Szechuan felt like a a good call for this chilly night.

Service was prompt but the menu was sparse and strangely generic and didn't feature much in the way of Szechuan, or even spicy, choices. Thinking back to an awful Vietnamese lunch I had the previous day here in Montreal, I was beginning to get the idea that Asian food is not the way to go outside of the local Chinatown. My instincts were right.

My companion and I shared a plate of pork dumplings in peanut sauce that were quite good. Unlike pot stickers, the wrappers were soft, like Wontons, and sauce was a nice complement as it was not too sweet, thick or pasty like Thai Satay peanut sauce can be.

The hot and sour soup lacked zing (and pork) and was basically a cornstarch thickened beef broth with tofu.

I ordered Spicy Szechuan Shrimp and it turned out to be shrimp tossed in a bright red sweet and sour sauce with undercooked diced onions. It was very Cantonese in nature and not hot and spicy. It required tablespoons of hot chili oil to make moderately interesting. My friend's Chef Special was simply stir-fried chicken strips with green pepper and onions. Kind of like a La Choy TV dinner.

The Kung-Fu kicker to this below average meal was the price. Our entrees were $24 each, the soup was $6 a piece and the dumplings were $11. This would cover 6 strip mall or food court Chinese meals at the same quality as this pricy place.

Bottom line: Take a cab to Chinatown.

1  Thank dupedtourist