gaZette Restaurant and Lounge in Le Westin Montreal
Reserve with OpenTable
gaZette Restaurant and Lounge in Le Westin Montreal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #344 of 5,668 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Canadian, American, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Quartier International
Cross street: St-Antoine, St-Pierre
Transit: Subway: Places d'Armes station ou/or Square-Victoria station.
Toronto, Canada
“Disgrace”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our visit to this restaurant was one of the reasons which crystallized our decision to check out of the hotel. We started our six days vacation on the Eve of the New Year Eve. The only reason that we did not check out of the hotel the day after was that the management could not guarantee us that we will not be charge for the room for the entire vacation. It was about 7:45 on New Year Eve when we had decided to call the Gazett in order to find out if we could have dinner at the restaurant or we had to look for another place. The first, second, and third phone call which was made through the direct line of the restaurant were ended unanswered. The forth, fifth, sixth and sevenths calls were made through the hotel operator who directed our calls into a Black Hole. On my eighth call I insisted that the operated will wait on the line until I will communicate with any one from the restaurant. She was kind enough to personally call the Restaurant's manager and waited on the line until the three way call took place. I was told that if we could wait until 9:15 (by that time it was 8:45) we could have a table. We were thrilled.
We went down to the restaurant as agreed at 9:15 and were greeted and seated at the table. Since I did not feel like having any of the wines on their wine list (there was neither Merlot nor Chianti on their wine list) the waitress suggested a Spitzer (White wine and soda water). Perfect. Instead I got a very sweet and syrupy liquid. We ordered a Cesar Salad @$18 which was very good unlike the price. For the main dish we ordered Stake, Clams and Shrimps and Salmon dishes @about 30/dish. The Stake came medium rare to perfection, the salmon came with perfect flaky texture and the seafood was just as perfect in taste EXEPT THE FOOD WAS COLD, at which point the chef might as well be a line cook and not an Executive chef of a high end restaurant. My partner and my teen were too hungry (It was 10:30 by now) and eat the food in spite……..I tried but I was unable to consume the cold Clams and the cold and mushy Risotto. We did complement the chef on the taste and texture of the food as well as critized the fact that the food was cold which is unacceptable in any restaurant not to mention in a fine dining. WHAT We GOT WAS “OH I AM SORRY” and would you like coffee or dessert ?. As if nothing was said.
Even though we knew that their desserts were very good and we were in desperate need for coffees as Professionals people working in the Hospitality industry we felt that we could not stay at a place where the workers do not have pride in what they do. We paid our bill left 25% tip and left. Fine dining and cold food do not go hand in hand.

• Visited December 2012
Patrick T, Manager at gaZette Restaurant and Lounge in Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear lovebalance life, I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with the meal offered to you in gaZette. Please be assured, we do value all guest comments and I have reviewed the issues raised with the manager and waiters in place on that particular evening. Your present feelings are appreciated; however, I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. We are grateful for your support and would like to thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

New York City, New York
“Ate very well at a hotel restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

My Montreal guest was shocked to taste excellent food at a hotel restaurant. The place was lively, the service was professional and the food was delicious. There are excellent restaurants in Montreal, but please take this into account as well, even if it is inside a hotel!

Visited December 2012
Patrick T, Manager at gaZette Restaurant and Lounge in Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Good day barbarabt, Thank You for your much appreciated comment. Hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again.
“So, so good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The decor of the Gazette restaurant and bar matches the contemporary and sophisticated ambience of the rest of the Westin hotel in which it is located. We had meandered down from our room a few nights prior to have some drinks in the bar, and the bartender was very sweet and helpful. She recommended two other restaurants, both of which we visited in our short stay in Montreal.
The Gazette was, by far, the best. I checked the "higher priced" option rather than "fine dining" to avoid distracting some people from trying this restaurant. It *is* pricey, but the food was so worth it. We visited mid-day for lunch while it was mostly empty. I can imagine the evenings are a bit dressy and crowded. If I lived here I would be here on the regular, if not for dinner, then for tapas and drinks.
My lunch was the wild mushroom agnolotti, and braised veal brisket with roasted tomato and porcini cream, garnished with mesclun. You don't even know. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. The trio of crème brûlée that I had for dessert with an espresso was just out of this world. Every bite of my lunch was savored slowly, and I had to really work to suppress my "mmmm-ing".
The manager came by and asked after us, which was nice.
And...
They have really spiffy chandeliers that look like bubbles flowing down from the ceiling :)

• Visited January 2012
Patrick T, Manager at gaZette Restaurant and Lounge in Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Good evening SarandipitousRex. I am glad you appreciated your experience at our restaurant. All we can hope for, is you moving to Montreal so you visit us more often... Thank You for the great comments.
Montreal, Canada
“Ok. not great, not bad - average.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Westin and ordered food from the GaZette restaurant (a strange name in my opinion-same name as our daily newspaper) We had the Caprese Salad (Buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes) which was well presented but the taste was less than to be desired. There was a creamy dressing between the layers which I didnt enjoy. The classic olive oil and and fresh basil cannot be beat for this classic...my husband had the onion soup and thought it was ok. The main dishes were the burger and the whole wheat pasta ish with veggies. The burger was good, by Montreal standard...where it is regulation to over cook the meat. My whole wheat pasta dish was pretty good, but the sauce was watery.

Overall, the food wasnt bad, but we wouldnt eat here again considering all the great choices in downtown Montreal.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Avidtraveller44
Patrick T, Manager at gaZette Restaurant and Lounge in Le Westin Montreal, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Good evening Avidtravaller44. I will make sure to pass them to the Chef and his team. You have a good point about having so many options in the area. We try our best in staying above average for a hotel restaurant. When the hotel opened management thought it would be nice to call the restaurant GaZette since it is part of the old newspaper building. Thank You for your comments.
Montreal
“Good, not Wow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Went here for dinner. Had a caesar salad (which the waitress told me was the best caesar in Montreal), salmon with fennel, endive and a grapefruit salad, and then a praline, pistachio and chocolate ice cream for desert.

I thought the welcome was good. Staff were professional and polite, and we liked our waitress, who was personable and knowledgeable. Service was also prompt but I would have expected that since it was probably less than half full.

The food was good, fresh and very well presented. Caesar salad was very good... not sure if it's the best in Montreal though. Not much grapefruit with the Salmon either, but the salmon itself and the vegetables were excellent.

The pistachio ice cream was not so good - the chocolate was tasty.

A real mix of people of all ages were in there, and dress was casual.

All in all - was pretty good. I'd go again. But nothing that would make it a 'must visit'.

• Visited June 2012