“BBQ Has No BBQ”

Add it.
BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: McGill
Groton, MA USA
“BBQ Has No BBQ”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

To US travelers I would recommend that you read the menu closely online before choosing this place because this is NOT a BBQ restaurant as the name implies. The waitress explained that it was a "comfort food theme" but most of that comfort food has been interpreted in very strange ways.

My onion soup was sweet and heavy with sherry and instead of cheese on top they serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side which sounds better than it was. I had the only BBQ-like item on the menu, the ribs, and they were amongst the worst I've ever had. They had been braised with something that looked like a rub crust but there was no hint of smoke and no flavor. Basically boiled pork on the bone.

The beer selection was just as disappointing. The tap beer was unavailable because the machine had broken down. I decided to try the oatmeal stout but it was back ordered. I tried a couple of beers recommended but they were almost undrinkable because of strong tastes (like a coriander beer) that I couldn't handle.

I guess it boils down to expectations. I expected food in keeping with their name. Boy was I disappointed.

To sum up the non-food categories. Prices are high so it is not a good value. Service was good. Atmosphere is not really interesting--it used to be a low end vegetarian restaurant and they really haven't changed much. Formica tables. Loud europop music.

My advice: keep walking up St. Paul. There are so many other good places including some gourmet class restaurants.

3 Thank JohnandPatti