“basic but ok”

Ranked #87 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Rhode Island
“basic but ok”
Reviewed May 2, 2007

A basic hotel with a great location. Good value.

• Stayed May 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed March 25, 2007

I read the reviews on this site and I was dreading it, but I was relieved on arrival to find a hotel that served the purpose I needed and matched the price I paid. The staff were very helpful and helped with my tax claims. The room was fine and did the job, clean and had evrything a room requires. If your a single traveller etc then yes its for you, if your a family wanting pools, bars, gyms etc then you should know a Travel lodge will not cater for you. Also the candid photos someone else has posted has looked hard for the worst bits, i'll post some for you showing the view from the hotel front which is a true reflection. yes I'd go there again as it served the travelling mans purposes pretty well and it was clean and a good central location.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank garthy39
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I stayed at the Travelodge for 3 nights during the Liberal leadership convention in Montreal. I was afraid it would be a dump, but I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby was inviting, the staff weren't overly friendly but were far from rude. The room was smallish, not the cleanest but very good considering the hotel was old. Had a nice view of old Montreal. The hotel is a couple minutes walk from the convention centre and 5 minutes from Place des Armes and Notre Dame in Old Montreal. It was a great hotel, quiet (hardly heard anything from the other rooms) just the vent in the washroom was a bit loud when turned on... That was the only thing I would consider a major disadvantage with the room. Breakfast was good - lots of things to eat, and the dining room was clean with a nice view onto Rene-Levesque Blvd. The neighbourhood was fine - never saw anything dodgy, it's on a major street with government buildings and office towers. Great location, good rooms, highly recommend!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank oleiros
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Customer Service: I had booked 2 non-smoking hotel rooms online. However, on my arrival at 9pm, I was informed that they only had 1 non-smoking and encouraged me to take a smoking room instead. I am an asthmatic and cannot stay in a smoking room. Despite repeated pleas, I kept hearing 'We don't have any other option. If you don't want it, go somewhere else. We are overbooked'. Finally after 20 minutes of this, they finally talked to the manager and found me a non-smoking room!

While I was waiting, I saw another individual with a daughter in a wheelchair complaining about the non-handicapped room that she was assigned (despite specifically booking a handicapped room). Again the front desk agent kept saying they can't do anything about it. Finally they had to go to another hotel!!

When I went to the room, the keys didn't work. Why? Because there was already somebody in that room. Apparently they had forgotten to check that person into the room! So I had to truck back down with my luggage and wait another 20 mins to get another room. During this time, the front desk clerk did not speak to me once (ie no apologies, nothing.. she wordlessly handed me the new keys).

Check out: Apparently this hotel doesn't do pre-paid departures (ie clear bill day prior to departure) as I was told that I can only check out as I clear the room. So then I asked for late checkout (1pm instead of noon). Again I was told NO and only offered 12:30.

Size of Room/Bathroom: Very small with little room to even spread out our luggage.

Breakfast: It was ok with croissants, juice, cereal, toast and coffee.

Location: It is a good location, but I would pay more for a nearby hotel (Holiday Inn, Mariott) to get better customer service.

You get what you pay for. If all you are looking for is location and price, then this is a good hotel. But I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Xcalibur

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

White Plains (NY City Vicinity)
Reviewed August 23, 2006

I did extensive research of all hotels that were within walking distance of "Old" Montreal (the historic district) and chose this one for me, my wife and daughter (in spite of all the poor reviews).
The three of us were very pleasantly surprised.
The common areas and rooms were immaculate!
Everything smelled fresh and clean.
Rugs were shampooed, walls and ceilings freshly painted and bathrooms were spotless!
Parking was full but we were directed to an underground lot next door that is located in an office/ retail complex and accessed by elevator/escalator.
The neighborhood is "iffy" with some panhandlers in the area. Catherine Street is a couple of blocks away and the sex shops are abundant but there were plenty of locals and tourists (of all ages) out and about.
Our room was quite small (about the size of a college dorm) but there was enough floor space to spread out the luggage and watch a little T.V. (nice new set with plenty of channels).
It was quiet and we slept well.
The continental breakfast was great!
Plenty of muffins,cereal,coffee,fruit,etc. and the banana bread was excellent!!
It was busy and you'll share a table but the staff was top notch and there was never a wait for a clean table or more food.
There are plenty of luxury hotels in Montreal but if you're on a budget, want to leave the car and "walk to all" -- this is the place to stay.
The reviews contained on the website in no way reflect the quality of this establishment

• Liked — It was very,very clean
  • Disliked — Room was small
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Dave123456789
London
Reviewed July 22, 2006

This is not the place to take your children! In a very sketchy part of town - lots of sex shops, prostitutes and drunks . My children we exposed to a lot of very inappropriate language being shouted at them because they wouldn't give money to street people.
Pre-booked hotel (with a credit card to hold) - asked for room with three beds - was told it would be available. When I arrived - told they were overbooked - our room was given away. "Perhaps if I had arrived before 6" - was the comment. I responded by pointing to my watch - it was 2:30. The response was an embarrassed "oh". Told I could have a two rooms - a double and two twins. Then told that wasn't possible - told two rooms - both with twin beds for same price as original room. Told they would be close together. They were on same floor but they were literally on opposite ends of the floor. Neither my children not I were very happy with being so far apart. Rooms were small and nasty. I would not recommend a stay at this hotel!

Stayed June 2006
8 Thank renao
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I stayed at this hotel from 1st June, 2006 - 6th June, 2006. The location was great, the rooms were clean, the rates were good and the complimentary breakfast was ok. However, the staff were surly and unfriendly. Why these people choose to work in the hospitality industry I'll never know as they clearly cannot be bothered assisting their guests with anything. And if like you had any clothes to wash, forget it, $2.30 for a pair of socks, which get sent out to a laundry. If you can find somewhere else to stay in Montreal for around the same price, do it!

• Stayed June 2006