“Overall Not Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Chrome Montreal Centre-Ville
Ranked #115 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
“Overall Not Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2006

This hotel served our basic needs, good location, reasonable, etc. The downstairs parking had a horrible odor, I detected a sewer problem. Deluxe Room on the 8th floor was fine although the room layout was wierd, they had large blocked out areas, possibly to house plumbing, etc? that created difficult areas around the bed to move and there was no TV in the bedroom, living area TV couldnt be viewed from the bed, the loveseat was situated so you had to cock your head, anyway.. staff was pleasant, food in the Bistro was actually decent. Great soup.
Allegro is NOT timely in opening up on time. 1PM for lunch had me waiting for a body to arrive, the coffee was not even brewing yet and it took 15 minutes to grab a few drinks to take to my room (no room service). Room was clean and seeing it was New Years Eve it wasnt that noisy, the clientele is young, at least during college breaks..

• Stayed January 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a night. I have read some of the reviews and found them to be quite harsh and after reading them I was affraid I made a mistake when I booked this hotel. Firstly, I want to assure people that my stay was a pleasurable one. The hotel is in an excellent location, walking distance to all the attractions (old montreal, saint dennis, underground mall). It is located next to a police station so the streets are not as scary as some people suggested. The staff was extremely curtious and friendly, they were quick to suggest places to visit and gave us a tourist map and took to the time to highlight important sites. We went up to the room and it was an average size room, we found that the airconditionar was already working which was nice because it was 30C outside with humidity that felt like you were getting splashed in the face with boiling water. Immediatly however we noticed the eye sores, the curtains and bedspread matched with a 1970's pattern that made me a little ill to look at. The view was of the back of another building, as I understand it unless you get a suite most views will not be very good. The bed was comfortable and everything was quiet the entire night, we stayed there on a weekday which may have reduced the number of "loud kids" which some reviews suggested frequent the hotel. There are two other negatives that should be noted, the first is the bathroom light and fan are connected, typically not a problem however the fan sounds like a jet taking off and if anyone gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom they will wake up anyone else staying in the room. Also it is so loud that my girlfriend could not hear me talking to her when she was in the bathroom and I was on the bed. Finally, they have one vending machine in the entire building and it only has pop. The problem is the machine is so old it doesn't recognize half of my coins, so I couldn't have a pop. It kept spitting my money back. By all right this is an average hotel, however because of the excellent price compared to other hotels in downtown montreal I immediatly bump it to an "Above Average" rating. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to be close to everything montreal has to offer but doesn't want to spend alot of money to get it.

The parking is $9 for outside and $12 for underground, very resonable compared to some of the other hotels.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2005

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as part of a tour of Ontario and Quebec. Very well situated for walking to all parts of downtown or old town. Five minute walk from the nearest Metro station. Would strongly advise the use of the Metro system as it is clean, cheap and reliable (buy a 3 day pass for good value and ease as this allows unlimited travel). Hotel reception area, modern and pleasant if somewhat small but this is no big deal. We were upgraded from a basic room to a deluxe suite and this was very pleasant indeed. Room was spotlessy clean, nice furnishings and a small kitchen area with a fridge and sink. Although the hotel is situated on a busy road, we were not aware of any traffic noise at all and we were on the 3rd floor. A bistro is located in the hotel.(The Allegro Bistro). The evening meals were reasonably priced and of a good standard served by a friendly although overworked waiter. The Room Rate included a complimentary continental breakfast. This was served in the Bistro by unsmiling, barely civil staff. This is the only negative comment I can make about this hotel. If ever returning to Montreal, would definitely use this hotel.

Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2005

I've stayed at this hotel for the past three years for the Jazz Festival in July and I've been pleased every time. My experience has shown that the best rooms are on the second floor. These rooms have the best beds and bathrooms. They also have refrigerators and microwaves. As noted in a previous review, this hotel is on a very busy street. If you're not used to city noise, you ought to get a room in the old city. (If you have been to Manhattan, the area this hotel is in is like the area around Penn Station.)

If you want to be pampered and pay over $200 per night for a hotel room, you would be wise seek accommodations elsewhere. However, if you want a clean & safe hotel that's in a great location, this is the place for you. St Denis Street, where I go for most of my meals, is just a 10 minute walk away. The "old city" is also just 10 minutes away and the Metro on St Laurent, which can take you just about anywhere, is about a 5 minute walk away. (Be sure to buy tourist passports for the metro, they're the best deal.) Travel by Taxi in this city between Noon and Midnight appears problematic as I've noticed pedestrians often outpace cars.

• Stayed July 2005