“A last minute bargain”

Ranked #114 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Canberra, Australia
“A last minute bargain”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My first piece of advice - don't leave it to the last minute (like, the same day) to book a hotel in Montreal at the weekend, I was lucky to find anywhere to stay at all! I stayed here on a saturday and sunday night, and I was so relieved to get a hotel for $100 a night last minute, Days Inn was a lifesaver! I didn't have high expectations, but I had checked tripadvisor reviews on the train online when I was booking and thought it should be ok. It was true - this hotel is perfectly fine for a budget place, and is amazingly well located in downtown Montreal.
Pros - Fantastic location. The room was enormous and the bed was pretty comfy (if a little on the soft side). Bathroom was spacious and fine too. Free wifi internet quality was good enough for skype video, a big plus. Staff were pleasant. Considering location I think I was lucky to have a pretty quiet room. Last minute availability! Pleasant decor. No bed bugs and high standard of cleanliness.
Cons - air conditioning was noisy (though was much better when on a low setting). There is a bit of street noise, the worst being the police sirens, I came to the conclusion there is a police station around the corner due to all the parked police cars in the next street (either that or the neighborhood is a lot more dodgy than I thought!). The worst noise came from late saturday night revellers returning to their rooms though, there is really no soundproofing on the doors and you hear everyone who walks past. Scratchy carpet - but then, it is budget-level so really the decor is more than fine for the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank TravelM0nkey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Good location, clean hotel, decent bed, pillows were useless. The pillows were so full and high that they were only good for sitting upright to read or watch television. There's no way anyone could sleep with their necks at a right angle to their bodies. We called the front desk for flatter pillows and were told that all of the pillows in the whole hotel were exactly the same. The first night, we made pillows by rolling up our jackets and wrapping them in a pillow case. The next night, we borrowed end pillows from our friend's sofa so we could have something comfortable to sleep on. I don't think we'll bother staying here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Redgardener

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Good location, close to Saint Catherine Road ( main shopping road) and Chinatown.
Liked almost everything, including the breakfast, except the old TV, which had a few channels in English and French.
Would happily return to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Saguenay, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Excellent service at the hotel restaurant/bistro. Restaurant is inviting. Wide menu choices. Reception staff are welcoming and very helping. They gave us a lot of tourism info. The lobby is inviting and cosy. Perfect location to visit Old Montreal and Chinatown, and many more.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2011

During a trip to Ottawa, my husband and I spent a night in Montreal, and decided to stay here as it was centrally located and a good price. The room was more comfortable than we expected. The decor was a little dated, but the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large with lots of counter space.

Best sleep we had over the whole week. We would definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crimsonsketch
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights, check-in was very quick and the staff on the front desk offered us advice on areas to visit and supplied us with city maps.

The hotel is within walking distance to downtown and is also very close to Chinatown which was a great place to venture out for dinner.

The only downside to the hotel for some people would be that the location is a little isolated and walking back after an evening out didn't feel overly safe.

Rooms were a good size and modern and overall a comfortable hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrrussellcoight
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I'll cut to the chase: the hotel and the room were great, but I'm concerned enough about a factor to be described later that I'm not entirely sure I'd return to this hotel ... even though this factor wasn't an issue during my visit.

First, the positives:

Lovely room. I wanted a room with a safe, which is why I wound up in a suite -- ordinarily pricier than the kind of room a cheapskate like me would select, but I think they cut me a discount because of the time of year of my visit. (Not much competition for hotel rooms in Montreal in February.)

Bug free. Passed my flashlight inspection with flying colors. Quiet; I slept well. Great heater, an important factor in Montreal in February. The room safe broke (!!) on the first day, but they fixed it within a mere four hours, which I regard as excellent service by any standard. The in-the-room fridge worked, and a nice IGA market is only four blocks away.

Easy walking distance to the Champ de Mars metro station, even in winter. Close to old Montreal, a plus for tourists.

Plush lobby. The room didn't include breakfast; instead, they offered a breakfast for $7.50 a throw (in advance) at the adjacent restaurant. I used the IGA and fridge instead, to save money. (Did I mention I'm a cheapskate?)

No laundromat, so I had to shlep a load to a buanderie ways out near the Snowdon station, although I probably could have found one closer by. No gym.

The room safe wasn't big enough for a laptop. The wifi works. No mattress encasements, which I think all hotel beds should have these days.

So what concerns me, if everything was so pretty, and I slept well, and staff were excellent?

Just this: if you step off the elevator and look down the hall for your room, you'll notice that the hall is narrow and that all the doors to the rooms are mighty close together. Close enough together to make me worry about how well I'd sleep with partygoing twenty somethings staying nearby on the same floor.

That's the bottom line for me. I'm a business traveler. I want to work and sleep. I was able to do both at Days Inn Montreal this February, but all those rooms smushed together in such a close space worries me a bit. More space between rooms gives me protection if a couple of young loadies happen to rent a nearby room. I worry that I wouldn't have that protection at this Days Inn.

Maybe it's not fair to site a concern that wasn't even an issue during my stay. Still: if I return to Montreal but don't stay here, that would be the reason why.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business