“Not worth the price”

Hotel Espresso Montreal Centre-Ville/Downtown
Ranked #90 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I booked this hotel over the hotwire. With tax and everything I paid 100 dollars and a sleepless night. After I got it I read the good reviews here. I was happy. But I was wrong. We had a terrible night. First of all we found that the beds were too old and smelly. Then the air conditioner (oldschool jumbo fat one) was too noisy. I turned it off but after a while the room got warmed up so we had to turn it on again with the loudy noise. There was a computer in the room but Internet stopped working in the morning. There was a hair dryer in the washroom but doest work at all. I complained. The receptionist was rude and completely non-friendly. With this same price you will get a much better hotel. And the location was not that great as advertised. I bet you can stay at the downtown core with this same price. Don’t stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 2, 2009

Stayed here January 2004 for a weekend with friends to visit Montreal. It was okay. I really don't have any complaints about the place. The room was clean and acceptable. I would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in October 2008. Standard hotel in good location. Large rooms with dated décor.

Good service.

Rooms
Very large rooms and clean bathrooms. The décor is dated but really not important and the location makes up for it. No fridge but they have an ice machine.

Location
-Great location two blocks from the Metro and the Bell Centre, two minute walk to restaurant and bar district, five minute walk to St. Catherine Street shopping.
-Other restaurants and convenience stores across the street.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank curlygirl123
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Myself and a friend stayed in the hotel for 2 nights as we came down from Ottawa for Canada Day. Now we chose this hotel due to it was the cheapest as I think most don't come down Canada Day in Montreal as we paid about $101 per night and $15 a day in parking which is a steal in downtown Montreal.The location(Guy St) is solid as it is about a block from St Catherines which is the main street in the downtown core. It is very close and about the same distance from the Bell Center if going for events.

The rooms are pretty large and pretty clean with 2 double beds as we stayed in room 406 which we felt like we were the only ones on the floor as it was dead quiet all the time in the hotel which it can feel erie. The rooms are good sizes as in if you wanted to lay out a cot/air mattress for a 3rd person to save some coin. The linens are standard and the bathroom is the same as a usual hotel bathroom which is not big enough for us larger fellows. The other neat thing is rooms come with PCs for use but it seems ours didn't work and no instructions on how to use. We just figured it was broken and moved on.

I gave it such a low rating due to the fact the stone age A/C unit drips water on the floor which soaks it. I really mean it is crazy how wet and annoying if walking around in bare or socked feet. Also if anybody knows anything about carpets getting wet and drying all the time is ripe for mold which is something I would feel nobody wants to endure. I also came down with a fever after returning home but I won't blame that on the hotel but take that as you wish. Also the parking stairwell is like a dungeon which made us laugh.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gottalock
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Great 2 queen room for $110 a night through Expedia.
Parking also great rate at $15.

Room was plain but clean. Showing age however....

Problem with room..... carpet soaked from A/C leaking onto floor. Staff not surprised..... happens all the time in this hotel they said. Changed to "remodeled" newer room. Only change was room had hardwood floors.

Problem with staff........ chambermaid knocked on our door at 8 am........... asked me if we were checking out..... I had a few words for her and shut the door ...... checkout was not until 11 am.
Complained to front desk about this...... and they turned up their nose and said she does not know who has or hasn't checked out. Said I should have "do not disturb" sign on door. Funny, we were only booked in for one night so they knew we would be out in the morning.

Outdoor pool was clean and well kept
Location perfect for our needs....

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I recently booked 3 rooms for my family and 2 other familes on one of those sites where you pay prior to finding out what hotel you end up in. Big mistake! To be fair the hotel was convienently located and some aspects of the hotel were ok. That's where it ends... I booked 3 "non smoking" rooms however one room reeked of smoke and we couldn't change the room. All rooms had badly stained carpets and chairs and my room actually had a section of buckled ceiling and chunks of wood missing out of the furniture. This place looked like a abused frat room. Not surprisingly both Fri / Sat night there was a lot of drunken yelling and slamming of doors all night to the point were one of the guests open his door and told them to %@&% keep it down. I did call the front desk at 2:30 am to see if someone could come up which they eventually did. Ironically earlier in the day the life guard at the pool told some kids not to yell too much because it might disturb the people in the rooms above (this was in the afternoon!!!!) Seems kids can't make noise during the day but it's alright for drunken patrons to yell and scream all night. Oh yes I did see a security guard in the lobby.......just wondering where we went at night?

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank TripfinderToronto
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I was in Montreal for a conference at the Sheraton, which was booked, so I looked for a less expensive place nearby. This hotel (a few hundred meters away) worked out fine. It's not elegant, but it was clean and comfortable. The location is great, as other reviewers have noted; just few blocks from dozens of restaurants and the Centre Bell. They have a computer in each room; it runs some service that allows internet access. It was hard to figure out, but once I got it to work, it was fine and I didn't bother to get out my laptop. The French keyboard took some getting used to, though! The staff was polite enough. Overall, I was happy with the hotel. At about half the price of the Sheraton, I don' t mind skipping a few amenities.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank harpoon223